AMD AIBs Prepare Cost Effective Radeon R9 390 Models With 4 GB Memory

Mr_Troll

AMD AIBs Ready New, Cost Effective 4 GB Radeon R9 390 Models - Sapphire, XFX and PowerColor Ready With Custom Variants

Since their launch, the Radeon R9 390 series has tackled the GM204 based GeForce 900 series cards on both fronts, value and performance, pretty well and that is just about to get better. The Radeon R9 390 launched with 8 GB GDDR5 memory which was aimed to make the card a good 2K/4K offering. Knowing that the card is best for users who demand great 2K gaming performance, AIBs have prepared cost effective models with 4 GB memory which is a great move.

While the 8 GB memory is definitely a plus point when games start demanding more memory, but 4 GB is more in line to the memory requirements in current generation titles while only a few games right now demand such high VRAM requirements. The Radeon R9 390 (8 GB) retailed at price of $329 US while the 4 GB models will retail at prices close to $299 US (even lower) which is in the same range as the GeForce GTX 970 which has seen price going down after the launch of R9 390.

Sapphire Radeon R9 390 4 GB Dual-X OC:

Sapphire-Radeon-R9-390-4-GB-Nitro-Boost_

XFX Radeon R9 390 4 GB Black Edition OC:

XFX-Radeon-R9-390-4-GB-Black-Edition_6.j

PowerColor Radeon R9 390 4 GB OC Edition:

PowerColor-Radeon-R9-390-4-GB_4.png

Some cards from Sapphire, PowerColor and XFX have already been released and from the looks of it, these custom models, while featuring lower VRAM are just as fast as the Radeon R9 390X due to higher clock speeds compared to reference models and boosted profiles saved within the BIOS. The Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Dual-X OC comes with 1010 MHz core clock and 5000 MHz boost clock. The memory clock means that the card will run at 320 GB/s compared to 384 GB/s bandwidth offered on the 8 GB variant but a NITRO Booster profile saved in the BIOS of the card can be switched on through a click of a switch that will put the card next to a R9 390X in terms of performance. The PowerColor Radeon R9 390 4 GB is a high-end model that comes with a triple-fan cooler and is clocked at 1010 MHz core and 6000 MHz memory clock. Finally, we have the XFX Radeon R9 390 Black Edition which comes with clock speeds of 1015 MHz for the core and 6000 MHz for the memory.

AMD Radeon R9 390 4 GB vs Radeon R9 290 4 GB Benchmarks:

Testing done by Expreview reveals that the card is at least 10% faster than the Radeon R9 290 which uses the same core (although the Grenada core is clocked higher) but also runs cooler and has slightly lower power needs. The Radeon R9 390 was already a competitive card against the GeForce GTX 970 but AIBs have made it even more good looking for consumers with the reduce price and maintaining the same performance benefit. Currently, these models are only available in APAC market but expect to see a range of these cards enter the US and EU markets soon.

AMD-Radeon-R9-390-4-GB-Benchmarks.png

What a f***ing good idea AMD. Just give it a good price pls . #rip970

Source:http://wccftech.com/amd-aibs-prepare-4-gb-radeon-r9-390/

http://www.expreview.com/44510.html

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

well then

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

If it's priced any lower than $300, RIP 970.

EDIT ----- Inb4 960 ti 3gb

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

A really smart move by AMD. While I really like this I am still gonna wait for new year and new cards, and I'm more interested in who designed this? How any why would you do that?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Kind of pointless with all of the 4GB R9 290 and 290X floating around still.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4GB 290s are probably gonna stop selling soon. This is probably gonna replace them. If the price is right, this will probably be the best card in the 390(8GB)/970 range. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I love the XFX package :D

So out of the ordinary than the classic rectangular box :D

Seems like a great deal for those that want a powerful gpu but don't really play at higher than 1080p, where the 8gb of vram would actually make more sense

A really smart move by AMD. While I really like this I am still gonna wait for new year and new cards, and I'm more interested in who designed this? How any why would you do that?

Dude, I'd buy that. Also, good move on AMD. SUCK IT NIVIDIA!

Kind of pointless with all of the 4GB R9 290 and 290X floating around still.....

Not really when many (maybe even the majority) think that newer is better. Marketing. 

Also how much do those cost? If 390 4GB are similar in price while offering 10% better performance it's not that pointless. All depends in pricing. Yes you can flash bios etc but that's a different thing. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

MMMmhhhh , dat money per FPS doe ganna be awesome...

(⌐■_■) 

Ok so that's one of their shortcomings solved, now how about allowing vendors to sell Fury cards with their own cooling solution? That'd bring prices down and make the card more competitive and yeah, it would also side step Coolermaster and their bitter battle with Patent Orc (i.e. not quite a troll but not quite just business) Acetek.

-------

Current Rig

-------

how are the AIBs meant to make a profit, as there's so many AMD GPUs they must be struggling to sell large numbers of these cards, or it's a way to sell on worse binned chips which can't handle the whole 8GB of VRAM.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Wish they'd make it mITX as well. Save on VRAM and material cost for even lower price. And then appeal to the SFF market. Would've put the final nail in the coffin for Nvidia in the sub $300 segment.

The Powercolor card baffles me though. Why go ham with the cooler for a lower spec product that is intended for cost savings?

Because it's still using the same GPU a regular R9 390 is using which produces the same amount of heat. VRAM produces negligible heat in comparison to the GPU core itself, so there's not point in re-designing a cooler ground up for just a few less RAM chips that produce little heat. Either that, or they're using the same amount of RAM chips, but lower capacity RAM chips.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

ive been looking for decently priced 290s and none seem to be floating around any more like they were a few months back which makes sense why this is getting Put into place now after most are gone. Granted used ones are pretty relevant but thats with any card.

Such a weird box

Dude, I'd buy that. Also, good move on AMD. SUCK IT NIVIDIA!

Dont buy xfx, they're anal about locking voltage

The R9 290 lives on! with a different name ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

They will eventually run out of stock and will need to be replaced.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

They will eventually run out of stock and will need to be replaced.

Besides, scouring the used market is something the minority of people on tech forums do. Your average consumer does not do that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I'm not sure I would go near that one from Sapphire. That cooler doesn't look beefy enough to cool Hawaii and allow overclocking, but we'll have to wait for benchmarks. As of right now, I'm skeptical.

EDIT: Also, these cards must be selling better than we thought if they're confident enough to make these.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit