Dave Chappelle Uses Technology to Keep People off Their Phones at his Shows

RagnarokDel

Chappelle has teamed with technology startup Yondr to create phone-free zones at the Thalia Hall shows, according to

It works like this: Everyone who enters the venue has to put their phone into a Yondr case. When they enter the phone-free area, the case automatically locks and they can't use the phone. If someone needs to use their phone, they simply step outside the phone-free zone and the case will unlock.

When I read this, all I could think is: Way to make yourself a target for terrorists. The other thing I thought of is, I would just bring my dead nexus phone put it in the case and not care about his.

http://ca.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/12/dave-chappelle-yondr-phone-free-zone

PS: Yeah terrible source but it came from Reddit.

this is great. enjoy the show and talk about it afterwards. 

So that no one can take photos and videos to give him a boatload of free publicity over social media.

Genius.

Why pay to lose access to phone use?

um. you pay to watch his show. a condition is "no phone" if you don't like the condition(s) then it isn't a show you should attend.

The amount of times i've seen him ask people not to record his show or directly asking someone to stop recording, I'm not at all surprised by this 

I don't know...

I'd rather build a Faraday cage around the auditorium rather than resort to this...

i.e. a building on our campus is a Faraday cage... once inside, abandon all hope of using your cellphone (GSM networks at least)... and it's not even perfectly sealed...

would be so more fun to just blast the audience with EMP just barely strong enough to interfere, but not strong enough to fry anything

That would be called ECM... and it's most likely illegal...

Reminds me of a guy who was frustrated with texting and driving people around him built a cellphone blocker to try to stop the people around him from doing it during his commute to work lol 

I'd rather build a Faraday cage around the auditorium rather than resort to this...

People would still be able to record his show, which I assume is the real issue.

People would still be able to record his show, which I assume is the real issue.

If he can collab with a company that can do this, he can hire a bunch of programmers to make a bot that DMCA-reports any video that doesn't come from his official channels...

would be so more fun to just blast the audience with EMP just barely strong enough to interfere, but not strong enough to fry anything

The only thing not fun about this would be the numerous felonies and lawsuits that would be filed against him shortly after.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I don't know...

i.e. a building on our campus is a Faraday cage... once inside, abandon all hope of using your cellphone (GSM networks at least)... and it's not even perfectly sealed...

You can still record videos offline and upload them later.

So that no one can take photos and videos to give him a boatload of free publicity over social media.

Genius.

I don't think Dave Chappelle needs free publiciity at this point lol

Nope. This is a gross invasion of personal autonomy. I don't care if they want it to be a condition of the show. I have to be able to answer my phone. Period end of story.

The appropriate action is to kick people who are recording stuff out.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I don't know...

...yeah...Federal offense to use these devices...

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Nope. This is a gross invasion of personal autonomy. I don't care if they want it to be a condition of the show. I have to be able to answer my phone. Period end of story.

Then don't attend one of his shows.

If you have a problem with following the rules then you don't watch.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

You can still record videos offline and upload them later.

Doesn't matter... Recording live shows should be deemed illegal... same with recording cinema screenings of movies...

But how do you differentiate between people using the phones for communications from those recording the show?

"Way to make yourself a target for terrorists."

huh ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Dave Chappelle still does live shows?! I miss his TV show. It was the best.

I completely get this.

You can't set up a room in most places like @DigitalHermit suggested. I believe that's illegal in most places, otherwise movie theaters would use it.

Kind of, but also not really. It's a condition of attending his event. If it comes down to that so that people don't record him (which could easily be considered invasion of privacy) then so be it. If you really can't be away from your phone, don't attend the event.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Genius.

Dave probably doesn't care at all. 10 years ago he willingly walked away from a $55 Million contract that he had already secured and flew to South Africa without telling anybody simply to get away from all the publicity he was receiving.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Then don't attend one of his shows.

If you have a problem with following the rules then you don't watch.

My personal autonomy is more important than "rules" at a comedy show. Just because its a rule, doesn't make it a good one, or enforceable, or worthy of respecting.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

My personal autonomy is more important than "rules" at a comedy show. Just because its a rule, doesn't make it a good one, or enforceable, or worthy of respecting.

If your personal autonomy, your phone being put in a collection station, is more important then you sacrifice respectfully attending his shows.

That's it.

Deal with it or don't.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Buhu. Don't want it, don't watch it. Personaly I wouldn't even bat an eyelid if I had a chance to go to one of his live shows.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Buhu. Don't want it, don't watch it. Personaly I wouldn't even bat an eyelid if I had a chance to go to one of his live shows.

Have fun signing away your freedoms for nothing then I guess. He's just a comedian.

Have fun signing away your freedoms for nothing then I guess. He's just a comedian.

What? Are you high dude? It is his show. All he is saying is that for the duration of his show, while inside the room you cannot access your phone. Frankly if they did this in movie thetlatres maybe we wouldn't have to put up with anoying twats who answer tgeir phone mid movie without leaving the room... Signing away our freedoms... Jeez what a troll.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.