can i use wd purple for gaming and daily use ? is it a good idea ?

will there be any performance issue if i use wd purple for everday use and gaming for long time ? 

will there be any performance issue if i use wd purple for everday use and gaming for long time ? 

Costs a fortune and isn't meant for your use case.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

No,it should be fine, but its really not optimised or designed for that use

Why would you even bother buying a purple? I would recommend something else instead 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

er, why do you have a purple?

well they're a bit sluggish (even by HDD standards). but i'd assume they'd still work.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

It should work fine but why did you buy it? Did you know beforehand that it was ment for 24/7 surveillance systems? If you just bought it i would bring it back and get an Caviar Blue or Black Series of Western Digital harddrives.

I highly suggest you find something else, The WD Purple is a 5400rpm (slow)  drive, game loading times would be horrible, in some games such as GTA V it would cause lag and missing textures. Get something with 7200rpm such as the WD black.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I highly suggest you find something else, The WD Purple is a 5400rpm (slow)  drive, game loading times would be horrible, in some games such as GTA V it would cause lag and missing textures. Get something with 7200rpm such as the WD black.

It wouldn't cause any lag for games like GTA V. The WD Green which is a similar but worse drive doesn't have any such issues. 

The Purple would work just fine for general use along with gaming and is like a differently optimized Red. 

Moved to Storage Solutions. @NEO**B Please post in the correct subforum in the future. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It wouldn't cause any lag for games like GTA V. The WD Green which is a similar but worse drive doesn't have any such issues. 

The Purple would work just fine for general use along with gaming and is like a differently optimized Red. 

Moved to Storage Solutions. @NEO**B Please post in the correct subforum in the future. 

A friend and I had missing textures in game while driving, the game then lagged to catch up. I moved the game to the SSD, my friend moved his to a WD black and the problems stopped, so I assumed it was the slow drive.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

A friend and I had missing textures in game while driving, the game then lagged to catch up. I moved the game to the SSD, my friend moved his to a WD black and the problems stopped, so I assumed it was the slow drive.

i didnt buy it guys . there are only wd purple drives available in the local stores right now .... i have a 120 gigs of ssd running in my system which obviously will not be enough for multiple games like gta 5 watch dogs and many more ..... so i guess i should wait a little bit for blue or black to be available as the price in the local market is lower than amazon price . 

i didnt buy it guys . there are only wd purple drives available in the local stores right now .... i have a 120 gigs of ssd running in my system which obviously will not be enough for multiple games like gta 5 watch dogs and many more ..... so i guess i should wait a little bit for blue or black to be available as the price in the local market is lower than amazon price . 

How much are said Purple drives?

They'll still be 5400rpm but coming from one who's actually used 5400rpm drives, it'll be bearable.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Hey there NEO**B,

WD Purple drives are designed for Surveillance systems and as such they have differently tuned firmware and hardware. They ahve optimized sequential writing speeds that have priority over everything else in order not to lose frames. This plus the improved error correction of the cache make the drive great for continuously recording video files, but when used in a regular desktop, this may act as a drawback and even cause problems. Random read/write speeds (which matter more in everyday desktop usage, including gaming) are significantly lower compared to performance drives such as WD Black and due to the differently tuned caching method you may even get corrupted data. I would stick to WD Blue and WD Black when it comes to gaming. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Costs a fortune and isn't meant for your use case.

Yes, they are expensive, but the only reason they wouldn't fit your use case is if you don't want to go overkill  ;)

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

How and why in f***s name do you have a WD Purple

I really like cake

he got a WD Blue and a WD Red. Clapped them together and got a WD Purple.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Now we need WD yellow, orange, and the rainbow will be complete. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That's the only HDD available at his local store.

lol they dont even sell blues

I really like cake

Aren't WD Yellows those enterprise storage? I mean they have a yellow sticker.

Orange drives will be released with optimized for HF3. 

stay tuned ;)

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

i still haven't got it bro  :)  i think i should go with wd blue . best price per performance ratio .

good one  ;)

he got a WD Blue and a WD Red. Clapped them together and got a WD Purple.

I just tried that, all I got were two expensive paperweights :(

EDIT: And a broken finger...

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

I just tried that, all I got were two expensive paperweights :(

EDIT: And a broken finger...

LOL :lol:  :D