Motorola's infographic on smartphone cracked screens

zMeul

"5% have cracked their screens while throwing their phone at something." wut?!? Do people really give 0 shits about their stuff???

If people can kill each other in moments of passion I don't find it surprising they will throw a small conveniently placed object at people :)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

If people can kill each other in moments of passion I don't find it surprising they will throw a small conveniently placed object at people :)

That's true yes. Then I'd rather have them throw away a phone instead of killing a person

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

My iPhone 4 went through a to of abuse and was dropped dozens of times and never cracked, until one day it just cracked while in my hand. I have no idea what caused the screen to crack. There is only a single small crack in the screen though, so I don't really give a fuck abut it.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Back in high school, people would just put a screen protector over their phones and keep using it. They were also pretty careless with them.

Lord of Helium.

Shattered my iPhone screen when taking it out of my pocket ($hit happens), I'll probably replace the screen since phone prices where I live have skyrocketed in the last two years.

144Hz goodness

I expected Motorola to produce a solution at the end of this.

What a useless pile of shite.

It actually reiterates, to me, how much money Motorola stand to make off broken screens.  

I agree that it's silly that they didn't reference this, but I think it's just a small part of this overall campaign... 

My Droid mini is a trooper, ran over by two cars (fell out of my backpack when I was clipped while crossing an intersection) and fell 60ft from the catwalk (I work in a theatre - must have hit the padding of a mid row seat, this didn't happen during a show. Just general work and someone knocked it off the note stand near spot 2)... Only broke after falling on a tennis racket.

$20 to get a new LCD and digitizer. Free to fix myself, but I don't wave a heat gun so the sealant on the right edge dried too fast and is weak so I have a thick rubberband vertical on that side to keep the glass down while in my pocket.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

"5% have cracked their screens while throwing their phone at something." wut?!? Do people really give 0 shits about their stuff???

I actually do that. When I'm lazy or angry, I tend to throw my phone on my bed or on the couch. Sometimes I miss of course.

Protective, even military grade cases, exist for people like me.

I've been doing this since my first €100 Nokia phone over 10 years ago, why would I stop? I have always throwed my phone around, like I do with my keys, wallet and every other thing that is in my pockets.

Cracked smartphone screens is one of those things where technology seems to be going backward: phones nowaday take longer to boot, have worse battery life and are much more fragile.

I will continue throwing my phones around and I hope smartphone makers will understand there is a market for people like me and they start actually improving our products instead of making them worse by putting glass on both sides ... (And don't tell me glass is a premium material: my house is full of glass.)

My iPhone 4 went through a to of abuse and was dropped dozens of times and never cracked, until one day it just cracked while in my hand. I have no idea what caused the screen to crack. There is only a single small crack in the screen though, so I don't really give a fuck abut it.

Gorilla glass and other similar protective tempered glass are weakened every time they fall on the ground. After a big hit, it may seem like the glass is fine but the screen is actually damaged and small invisible cracks have appeared. After a couple of drops, the glass is so fragile that a small drop can be enough to suddenly shatter the whole thing.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Meanwhile my nexus 7's screen broke from the "spontaneous crack of death" then the screen I got was shit, bought another screen, and a couple days later someone at school knocks it off the table... and breaks the screen. My nexus 5's screen broke because my dad knocked it off of my speaker and it landed on a tiny pebble. FML

I've dropped my iP4 several times and some of those drops were pretty brutal. Dinged a lot of parts but never a cracked screen.

this, same with my iphone4, it makes heart shattering drops sometimes(from stairs onto concreate on hard metal workbenches) and since I nearly drop it every week I am also amazed mine isn't cracked/shatterd/broken yet, while I see people going through phones like a feminazi through a muffinshop.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

for an entire year i believed the screen of my iphone was cracked, a year later since the drop i discovered it was the screen protector that was cracked and it wasn't one of those made of glass, to think i was about to buy a replacing screen for 100$

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The only screen I've ever broken was a CRT TV. A big one.

However, I've dropped my Motorola G more than any other phone I've ever had. (Twice)

No cracks though.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I drop my phone about once a week, usually falling from my pockets I even dropped them on gravel a few times and I have never cracked a screen. #luckymofo I guess

Dropped my Z3 several times, no damage (other than some scuffed aluminium). Witnessed first hand, my friend hitting their Tab 3 hard against a concrete wall because the internet wasn't working. Thing literally bent, I winced so hard.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I have never dropped nor cracked my phone

my m7 drops but never cracks, no no... it dents. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. But I did manage to ruin my brand new case for my M7,on the very first day.

i took the clear TPU case off mine but it started turning the back of my phone dark. so i keep it naked now. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

I did this 5 years ago with my two week old HTC Desire. Recently got put on new Meds for brain damage and they made me crazy aggressive. wasn't on them for long. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I've never damaged a screen on a smartphone but several years ago I had a phone fall out of my hands onto concrete. The itself was fine but the screen was dead. So I just used it for a couple years with a dead screen. I actually knew the menu well enough to get to the correct contacts by memory.

I agree that it's silly that they didn't reference this, but I think it's just a small part of this overall campaign... 

Yeah, a little moronic not to mention it.  At least their hearts are in the right place...

I love how the industry spin this SHIT:

"5 layered unbreakable display! BUY NOW!"

roughly translated to :

"plastic screen please buy this spin, and the phone.

I've never damaged a screen on a smartphone but several years ago I had a phone fall out of my hands onto concrete. The itself was fine but the screen was dead. So I just used it for a couple years with a dead screen. I actually knew the menu well enough to get to the correct contacts by memory.

I simply think this is a lie.  Until proven otherwise.

But there was a spider!

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

But there was a spider!

You don't throw a phone at a spider. You throw a nuke at it

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

My Oneplus One is up to one scratch, on the bottom left. I do not use a case but I don't drop it. I think the scratch is from a stupid moment where I put a pocket knife in the same pocket for a bit. VG-10 steel is a touch on the hard side.

:P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

You don't throw a phone at a spider. You throw a nuke at it

You say nuke I say nokia, same thing

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

You say nuke I say nokia, same thing

Well played sir