Now I have seen it all :D

Hecknologist

I'm currently in my Hardware Lab class, and someone just managed to fry a DDR3 DIMM by installing it backwards and booting... Yes. BACKWARDS!

how did it fit ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

how the fuck did they even get it to clip in ?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

how did it fit ?

Hardware noobs tend to force things. i know from experience

Hardware noobs tend to force things. i know from experience

But, but, it would have snapped the fucker before he even got it to 'fit' in there

how did it fit ?

That is the part that has me wondering... Incredible feats of strength

But, but, it would have snapped the fucker before he even got it to 'fit' in there

He/she must have damaged the mobo instead of the ram breaking when put in.

We were mucking around with installing as many single slot graphics card as we could fit, and a waft of computer hate crime filled the air. Lecturer comes along to the next table and says "You've managed to fry it by sticking it in backwards, now I've seen it all..."

on a side note that sounds like an awesome class, wish my school had that

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

on a side note that sounds like an awesome class, wish my school had that

It's a Bachelor of Computing Systems fundamentals paper, not sure if it's the same as tertiary courses over there but the practical is quite good.

It's a Bachelor of Computing Systems fundamentals paper, not sure if it's the same as tertiary courses over there but the practical is quite good.

ah ok, im still in high school, still wish we had a computer class besides programing

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

Well it doesn't matter because s/he might have already broken the ram stick, it was more like the CREMATION of the honoured Mr. RAM....#Respect

ah ok, im still in high school, still wish we had a computer class besides programing

Does your high school have STEM?

Does your high school have STEM?

dont think we have that in canada but we do have the shsm program at my school, from what i know my school has the welding,automotive,woodshop, culinary, and video editing and coding programs

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

so... i grabbed a dead motherboard and dead dimms, and tried.

i gave it my everything, i used tools, i put my weight on it, cant get it in.

the only way i can see the guy put the dimm in backwards, is with one side of the dimm in completely, and the other side clipped into the second notch on the dimm, with the contacts sticking out far enough to have a visible gap underneath the dimm.

the only way i can see the guy put the dimm in backwards, is with one side of the dimm in completely, and the other side clipped into the second notch on the dimm, with the contacts sticking out far enough to have a visible gap underneath the dimm.

I have to agree with this opinion.  I'm sure this makes an interesting STORY but I don't actually believe.  You could NOT fit a RAM DIMM in backwards sufficiently to even get electricity going through it to burn it out without causing serious physical damage to the DIMM and/or the motherboard first.  People wouldn't be like 'Wow, you burned it out' they'd be like 'DID YOU SMASH THIS WITH A HAMMER OR SOMETHING!?'

Have you tried lube?

I have to agree with this opinion.  I'm sure this makes an interesting STORY but I don't actually believe.  You could NOT fit a RAM DIMM in backwards sufficiently to even get electricity going through it to burn it out without causing serious physical damage to the DIMM and/or the motherboard first.  People wouldn't be like 'Wow, you burned it out' they'd be like 'DID YOU SMASH THIS WITH A HAMMER OR SOMETHING!?'

well... i dont doubt it happened, i seen some stupid stuff happen in college...

i mostly wonder if it happened because the guy was dumb, or because he was careless with school property and decided to "experiment"

Have you tried lube?

they're dead components, that doesnt mean i'm gonna coat them in lube...

and i dont think any lube is gonna help pushing a square peg in a round hole, if y'know what i mean xD