Now I have seen it all :D

Hecknologist

I have to agree with this opinion.  I'm sure this makes an interesting STORY but I don't actually believe.  You could NOT fit a RAM DIMM in backwards sufficiently to even get electricity going through it to burn it out without causing serious physical damage to the DIMM and/or the motherboard first.  People wouldn't be like 'Wow, you burned it out' they'd be like 'DID YOU SMASH THIS WITH A HAMMER OR SOMETHING!?'

My thinking is the notch in the ram slot was crushed enough to get pins contacting. Needless to say the parts aren't going to be reused. I don't blame you for not believing, I wouldn't without evidence, especially online.

i mostly wonder if it happened because the guy was dumb

They are most definitely dumb, at least in a technology-minded way. The only ports/plugs/slots they know are USB plugs, so ignorant for sure.

We were mucking around with installing as many single slot graphics card as we could fit, and a waft of computer hate crime filled the air. Lecturer comes along to the next table and says "You've managed to fry it by sticking it in backwards, now I've seen it all..."

Yeah and DDR2 takes 12V... right?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Yeah and DDR2 takes 12V... right?

my Ram does this everytime I boot my system up, its fine.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit