4770k and 4790k

OSBK
Go to solution Solved by LegacyStijncat,

i know that the i7 4790k is a lot better than the 4770k but what are the main differences between them. is it just the clock speed or what, and i found that the 4790k doesn't have  "Supplemental SSE3" unlike the 4770k.  does that have an effect ??

4770K:

• Lower power consumption
  • “Conflict free” means “DRC conflict free”, which is defined by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission rules to mean products that do not contain conflict minerals (tin, tantalum, tungsten and/or gold) that directly or indirectly finance or benefit armed groups in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) or adjoining countries.

4770K iGPU:

• Higher Max Resolution on HDMI 1.4 (4096x2304@24Hz instead of 4790K's 3840x2160@24Hz)

4790K:

• Higher clock speeds
  • Higher max temperatures
  • Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) continues from the existing support for IA-32 (VT-x) and Itanium® processor (VT-i) virtualization adding new support for I/O-device virtualization. Intel VT-d can help end users improve security and reliability of the systems and also improve performance of I/O devices in virtualized environments.

4790K iGPU:

• Better DirectX and OpenGL support (11.2 instead of 11.1 and 4.3 instead of 4.0 respectively)

i know that the i7 4790k is a lot better than the 4770k but what are the main differences between them. is it just the clock speed or what, and i found that the 4790k doesn't have  "Supplemental SSE3" unlike the 4770k.  does that have an effect ??

the k chips are unlocked which means you can make them faster by overclocking them the 4770k is better if you know what youre doing

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed off topic content

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

No difference in gaming. Only very small difference in more extreme stuff.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

the core i7 4790 is newer and have a greater clock speed but the 4770k is unlocked, so wich one is better and why ???

• You have a Code Lyoko picture so for that you are officially cool from now on!
  • Depends. If you're not going too overclock, the 4790 will probably be cheaper and better. If you ARE going too overclock, well, the 4770K/4790K.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

4790k oc's better than the 4770k because of the improved thermals

No. Just no.

It can perform better and eventually achieve higher overclocks if the CPU reaches TJ MAX before it reaches the maximum clock speed, which it usually does not.

It literally doesn't matter if a PU is running at 70°C or 90 °C. It will achieve the same overclock.

No. Just no.

It can perform better and eventually achieve higher overclocks if the CPU reaches TJ MAX before it reaches the maximum clock speed, which it usually does not.

It literally doesn't matter if a PU is running at 70°C or 90 °C. It will achieve the same overclock.

bs the better the thermals of the chip the more voltage you can feed it for a better and more stable oc. 

Dunno where you read that but both come with SSSE3, they are the same but the exception is that the 4790K came with better thermal compound for the IHS and runs at higher clock, and at least here as the 4770K lost sales in favor of 4790K therefore the 4770K is more expensive

This is a signature.

bs the better the thermals of the chip the more voltage you can feed it for a better and more stable oc.

Nope.

Better coolers are just there to keep the CPU away from thermal throttling.

so it's like that: the 4790k than the 4770k than it's the 4790 non-K

thanks (y)

Nope.

Better coolers are just there to keep the CPU away from thermal throttling.

thats like saying a gpu with no cooling can achieve the same amount of stable oc as one thats on a custom loop xD

Dunno where you read that but both come with SSSE3, they are the same but the exception is that the 4790K came with better thermal compound for the IHS and runs at higher clock, and at least here as the 4770K lost sales in favor of 4790K therefore the 4770K is more expensive

here http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770K

The 4790k has improved thermal connections and can thus dissipate heat faster and is better for overclocking if your cooling system can handle it.

4770K:

• “Conflict free” means “DRC conflict free”, which is defined by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission rules to mean products that do not contain conflict minerals (tin, tantalum, tungsten and/or gold) that directly or indirectly finance or benefit armed groups in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) or adjoining countries.

4770K iGPU:

• Higher Max Resolution on HDMI 1.4 (4096x2304@24Hz instead of 4790K's 3840x2160@24Hz)

4790K:

• Higher clock speeds
  • Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) continues from the existing support for IA-32 (VT-x) and Itanium® processor (VT-i) virtualization adding new support for I/O-device virtualization. Intel VT-d can help end users improve security and reliability of the systems and also improve performance of I/O devices in virtualized environments.

4790K iGPU:

• Better DirectX and OpenGL support (11.2 instead of 11.1 and 4.3 instead of 4.0 respectively)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

thats like saying a gpu with no cooling can achieve the same amount of stable oc as one thats on a custom loop xD

Well yes. But before it will reach that overclock the GPU without the cooler will either shut down or throttle down.

4770K:

4770K iGPU:

4790K:

• Higher clock speeds

4790K iGPU:

you're the man. thanks

Well yes. But before it will reach that overclock the GPU without the cooler will either shut down or throttle down.

so how is that proving your point

so how is that proving your point

It isn't. But I also don't care.

If you want you can throw as many liqiud cooling loops at your rig as you want.

Multiple tech-tubers have said the same, but I won't look through over 1000 videos just to find that one sentece. So, you can continue not to believe and I can continue to not care about that.  :)

It isn't. But I also don't care.

If you want you can throw as many liqiud cooling loops at your rig as you want.

Multiple tech-tubers have said the same, but I won't look through over 1000 videos just to find that one sentece. So, you can continue not to believe and I can continue to not care about that.  :)

what that literally made no sense. The better the cooling in a part the better performance and ability to OC. 

you're the man. thanks

No probem!

Don't forget too mark the correct answer as solved. And, if you have any more questions, you can post a topic or contact me (especially for CPU's!)

Basic guide to CPU's!

what that literally made no sense. The better the cooling in a part the better performance and ability to OC. 

Like I already said -> Not true.

The life span will probably increase, but not the overclock.

Do you really thing that a GPU that is sitting at 50°C can achieve higher overclocks than a GPU that is sitting at 60°C just because of that temperature difference?  :lol:

Well, it's CPUboss...

You can see CPU-z detects it

cpuz_4770k.pngbasistakt.png

And it's also reported by cpu-world

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4770K.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4790K.html

And as optional thing for extra info you can use intel ark site's comparation tool: http://ark.intel.com/compare/75123,80807 (and I can see I messed VT-d...)

This is a signature.

the k chips are unlocked which means you can make them faster by overclocking them the 4770k is better if you know what youre doing

?

None of this guys points make sense @Senzelian

4770K:

4770K iGPU:

4790K:

• Higher clock speeds

4790K iGPU:

i sincerly hope that if you are buying an i7 you are also buying a dedicated gpu...

My 4770K did 4.8ghz on release day.

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2