Need monitor suggestions - OLED vs VA

I'm building a new pc with a 1070ti super and would like to get a new monitor.

Won't be using it for movies or anything of that sort. It'll pretty much just be work and occasional gaming. The most visually demanding being Cities Skylines 2. Occasionally CSGO2 and other minor games.

I'm trying not to break the bank on a monitor, but from what I've read, I should definitely get something 144hz+, 1440p and 21:9 aspect ration.

The two I'm looking at right now are the MSI 341CQP or the Acer Nitro XZ342CU. The main difference being that the MSI is OLED and the Acer is VA.

My question is:

Is the difference between OLED and VA significant enough to warrant the extra $400 price tag for my uses?

And are there any better monitors than the ones I linked above for similar prices?

The main thing that I'm hoping to experience is the visuals of Cities Skylines 2 which is why I shelled out so much cash for the GPU, but I'm worried that it may have been in vain if I don't get the OLED monitor.

22 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Won't be using it for movies or anything of that sort. It'll pretty much just be work and occasional gaming. The most visually demanding being Cities Skylines 2. Occasionally CSGO2 and other minor games.

I'm trying not to break the bank on a monitor, but from what I've read, I should definitely get something 144hz+, 1440p and 21:9 aspect ration.

The two I'm looking at right now are the MSI 341CQP or the Acer Nitro XZ342CU. The main difference being that the MSI is OLED and the Acer is VA.

My question is:

Is the difference between OLED and VA significant enough to warrant the extra $400 price tag for my uses?

And are there any better monitors than the ones I linked above for similar prices?

The main thing that I'm hoping to experience is the visuals of Cities Skylines 2 which is why I shelled out so much cash for the GPU, but I'm worried that it may have been in vain if I don't get the OLED monitor.

VA has pretty blurry motion stuff but they look better compared to ips

on the other hand, OLED is best of the best with best shades of black compared to VA, lower response times, etc.

Just now, bal723 said:

on the other hand, OLED is best of the best with best shades of black compared to VA, lower response times, etc.

but do you really need those response times if you don't play shooter games?

40 minutes ago, bal723 said:

but do you really need those response times if you don't play shooter games?

OLED also has deeper blacks, richer colors, better HDR. Basically better everything, so also great for immersive single player titles.

The drawback is that it isn't really ideal for desktop use and there is the risk of burn in with static content.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

48 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

My question is:

I don't know where you've read that you should get 1440p monitor with the GPU you have, while the 1070 Ti is a great card for 1080p gaming, now days it's really starting to struggle to run more modern games even at 1080p with a steady framerate, if you are not planning to play newest games that come out you can't really know, maybe you will want to play something new one day, so getting a 2k monitor would be just not worth it in this case, especially paying double the price of a GPU for a monitor that will not be used to it's fullest.

I think you are better at getting a GPU for that 300-400$ and get a monitor for around 200$ that way you could actually play games on highest settings even if it has to be 1080p instead of playing on 1440p with lowest settings and still not getting 60fps, also the two monitors that you are interested in is 3440 x 1440 resolution and that's even more demanding than the usual 2560 x 1440 res. But at the end of the day it's your money, so you can buy whatever you want to. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, revol said:

1070 Ti is a great card for 1080p gaming

maybe he wanted to say 4070 ti super

Yes it's huge difference between the two. And cheap VA are just garbage.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, revol said:

I don't know where you've read that you should get 1440p monitor with the GPU you have, while the 1070 Ti is a great card for 1080p gaming, now days it's really starting to struggle to run more modern games even at 1080p with a steady framerate, if you are not planning to play newest games that come out you can't really know, maybe you will want to play something new one day, so getting a 2k monitor would be just not worth it in this case, especially paying double the price of a GPU for a monitor that will not be used to it's fullest.

I think you are better at getting a GPU for that 300-400$ and get a monitor for around 200$ that way you could actually play games on highest settings even if it has to be 1080p instead of playing on 1440p with lowest settings and still not getting 60fps, also the two monitors that you are interested in is 3440 x 1440 resolution and that's even more demanding than the usual 2560 x 1440 res. But at the end of the day it's your money, so you can buy whatever you want to. Good luck.

Typo. Corrected now. Meant 4070ti super.

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yes it's huge difference between the two. And cheap VA are just garbage.

Is the one I chose ok? Am I better going the IPS route?

6 hours ago, bal723 said:

Other than the response times and the blacks, is VA comparable to OLED in terms of visual appeal? 

12 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Other than the response times and the blacks, is VA comparable to OLED in terms of visual appeal? 

No, OLED is a head above VA. All the blacks, not just "better than IPS".

And no VA smearing on OLED. As said, at least cheaper VA-s are not really good.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

kinda, i cant see difference between my oled tv and my tuned va monitor

51 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Is the one I chose ok? Am I better going the IPS route?

It's very cheap monitor, depends how much you care for picture quality and response time. Cheap VA is quite slow and really IPS is just a better pick. Obviously OLED is way better then both.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's very cheap monitor, depends how much you care for picture quality and response time. Cheap VA is quite slow and really IPS is just a better pick. Obviously OLED is way better then both.

I think I'll go the OLED route. Can you recommend any? Sub $900.

LG 34GS95QE-B or Samsung Odyssey G8 or Dell Alienware AW3423DWF perhaps.

Or https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/meg-342c-qd-oled

The MSI being the cheapest at least in PCPartpicker US.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zv3NnQ/msi-meg-342c-qd-oled-342-3440-x-1440-175-hz-curved-monitor-meg-342c-qd-oled

I edit my posts more often than not

2 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

I think I'll go the OLED route. Can you recommend any? Sub $900.

Really any you can find for lower price or on sale like ones mentioned before.

4 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Typo. Corrected now. Meant 4070ti super.

In that case yes your good to go with 1440p and even light 4k gaming.

Answering your question about the monitor panel, it really doesn't matter that much there's a little bit of difference between them, but it's so minor, every monitor has some differences some display more cold colors some display more warm, more bright colors, some got better response time and so on, but now days everything is so developed to it's maximum that like I said it really doesn't matter that much and for that budget of yours any monitor will be very good with premium build quality, and amazing screen no matter the panel type, so get the one you like, just make sure to buy from a reputable company also look online for people experiences with specific models.