PC Shuts Down After 1-2 Seconds, Sometimes 20-30 Seconds After Cleaning

Hi everyone,

I cleaned my computer thoroughly, including inside the PSU, and reassembled everything exactly as it was before. However, now when I press the power button, the computer powers on for 1-2 seconds and then shuts down. Occasionally, it stays on for 20-30 seconds before shutting down again.

I tested the PSU by shorting it, and it runs fine without shutting down. When I try to power on the computer again after it shuts down, it won't respond unless I hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. The GPU light is on, indicating it's getting power.

I also took the motherboard out of the case and connected all components outside the case, but the issue persists.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

26 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How did you clean it?

I used a vacuum cleaner and a hair dryer with cold air, and also wiped it with an alcohol-based cloth.

2 hours ago, Alaz said:

including inside the PSU

o.o

did you open the psu in any way?

1 hour ago, Alaz said:

vacuum cleaner 

ok i have to ask, did you vacuum the motherboard? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

o.o

did you open the psu in any way?

ok i have to ask, did you vacuum the motherboard? 

Yes i vacuum the motherboard 😞, I tested all the parts in different computers, and they all worked. The problem is with the motherboard. What should I do?

Double chekc the cables, Inspect and reseat components like gpu, ram, even cpu and reseat all cables. Reset CMOS. Test the pc out of the case on top of cardboard box for example.

Vacuum cleaners and create static electricity that can kill components. Tho that is unlikely but can happen.

Also some vacuums produce moisture and a lot of heat, and motherboards do not obviously like that.

Next time use compressed air.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

11 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Double chekc the cables, Inspect and reseat components like gpu, ram, even cpu and reseat all cables. Reset CMOS. Test the pc out of the case on top of cardboard box for example.

Vacuum cleaners and create static electricity that can kill components. Tho that is unlikely but can happen.

Also some vacuums produce moisture and a lot of heat, and motherboards do not obviously like that.

Next time use compressed air.

I have done all the things you mentioned at least 10 times 😕 but the problem still isn't solved.

4 minutes ago, Alaz said:

I have done all the things you mentioned at least 10 times 😕 but the problem still isn't solved.

Well... hate to say it but you killed something from the motherboard or the psu from the sound of it. But you are not the only one so do not feel too bad.

Also you could try another psu first to see if taht is the issue or not. You can buy smoething from a local store, and if that was not the problem just return it and say that it did not fit in the pc 🙂

If another psu did not fix it, its a new motherbaord time then... I have dealt with troubleshootign pc paarts for so long now and its very frustrating to not to know what might be vausing issues.

But take it easy, take a break, drink a cup of coffee and start fixing starting with the psu

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

What are your system specs?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

14 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Well... hate to say it but you killed something from the motherboard or the psu from the sound of it. But you are not the only one so do not feel too bad.

Also you could try another psu first to see if taht is the issue or not. You can buy smoething from a local store, and if that was not the problem just return it and say that it did not fit in the pc 🙂

If another psu did not fix it, its a new motherbaord time then... I have dealt with troubleshootign pc paarts for so long now and its very frustrating to not to know what might be vausing issues.

But take it easy, take a break, drink a cup of coffee and start fixing starting with the psu

I tested my PSU with another motherboard, and it worked fine. I also tried a different PSU with my motherboard, and it didn't work. So, it looks like the problem is with the motherboard 😞 Thanks for your help, and have a good day.

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What are your system specs?

Ddr3 gigabyte Mothercard gtx 1660 gpu i5 3330 cpu 8gb ram

Just now, Alaz said:

I tested my PSU with another motherboard, and it worked fine. I also tried a different PSU with my motherboard, and it didn't work. So, it looks like the problem is with the motherboard 😞 Thanks for your help, and have a good day.

Well now you know what is broken. You could try to RMA the baord if you still can.  This sucks and basically building the pc from scratch is pain in the butt. But you seems to knwo how to do it, so hopefully after new motherbaord it works

1 minute ago, Alaz said:

Ddr3 gigabyte Mothercard gtx 1660 gpu i5 3330 cpu 8gb ram

You can buy those kind of motherbaords from ebay for very cheap.

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-3330_motherboards.html

Here is a list of supported motherboard. Prefer the mopdels that say " bios version; any" but after finding the right model, search that list for the exactg model. If unsure about the bios ask the seller, that is what i for for older components

15 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

You can buy those kind of motherbaords from ebay for very cheap.

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-3330_motherboards.html

Here is a list of supported motherboard. Prefer the mopdels that say " bios version; any" but after finding the right model, search that list for the exactg model. If unsure about the bios ask the seller, that is what i for for older components

I have a Maximus VII Hero with a CPU, but this motherboard doesn't respond at all; it doesn't start, although the lights are on. A few pins in the CPU socket are broken. Can we try to make this motherboard work?

Inspoect the damage, and ifo nly 2 pins are broken it might repairable. Tho it is very hardto do without any training at all. If it does not respond, it means that the pin need to be raplaced. Which is not easy since the pin is so small. I do not have experince on replacing pins.

But you would need a soldering iron with very fine tip and a magnifying glass + the pin. 

If oyu do not have the experince or the tools, getting a new board would be the wisest option

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Inspoect the damage, and ifo nly 2 pins are broken it might repairable. Tho it is very hardto do without any training at all. If it does not respond, it means that the pin need to be raplaced. Which is not easy since the pin is so small. I do not have experince on replacing pins.

But you would need a soldering iron with very fine tip and a magnifying glass + the pin. 

If oyu do not have the experince or the tools, getting a new board would be the wisest option

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will take them into consideration. Have a good day 🙂

2 hours ago, Alaz said:

Yes i vacuum the motherboard 😞, I tested all the parts in different computers, and they all worked. The problem is with the motherboard. What should I do?

buy a new motherboard, learn from your mistakes and never vacuum a motherboard again, its likely you damaged or knocked off some small smd or similar 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

27 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

buy a new motherboard, learn from your mistakes and never vacuum a motherboard again, its likely you damaged or knocked off some small smd or similar 

My friend, I straightened a few bent pins on the Maximus VII Hero motherboard I mentioned to you, and it worked. The only problem now is that there is no display on the screen, which I think is related to the RAM 🙂

1 hour ago, Alaz said:

My friend, I straightened a few bent pins on the Maximus VII Hero motherboard I mentioned to you, and it worked. The only problem now is that there is no display on the screen, which I think is related to the RAM 🙂

You have any spare RAM to try? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

44 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You have any spare RAM to try? 

Yes i have two rams i got error code 76 idk what is this

Bear in mind the POST code it gives is where it stops during the bootup process.
It can either tell you directly OR indicate what the issue is and from my digging around it seems related to the GPU in some way.

Maybe this will help - Maybe not but here it is.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/led-code-76-how-to-fix.300526/

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.