Setups don't work correctly when booted from the main drive.

I absolutely hate the Live CD feature that many high level distros provide. Booting from my USB drive is already very slow, and they don't even take in account that it is a Live CD. Everything is a full blown OS without any changes, so it lags a lot, and the OS reports programs not responding (like the setup) and being aggressive, when it is booting from a freaking pen drive but it doesn't know it. Just like Debian and Arch, why don't they provide an option to just bootstrap the OS?

For this, I like to extract the ISO on a Fat 32 formatted (so that my firmware can read) partition on my drive (I only have 1 drive). Ubuntu, Arch, probably Debian, and even Windows work just fine. But Fedora failed to boot, and in Pop OS, the setup could not detect the drive, but the drive was accessible in CLI. Fedora I think also had a drive related problem, where it couldn't read some data from its Live CD. But flashing them to a pen drive worked fine. It could also be that just extracting the files on a Fat 32 formatted partition might have not been good for the compatibility, and when I use something like Rufus and Etcher, they do a lot of stuff for compatibility reasons, but that might not explain why Pop OS had a problem when it was able to boot and function just fine.

I am distro hopping a bit, and I don't like to load all of them on my pen drive. It's very slow. Could it be that they are not pointing to the correct /dev/X? But Ubuntu ran just fine for some reason.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

What USB are you using? This seems like a issue with a slow USB stick rather than a issue with the Live CD usage. I don't have these performance issues with a live CD of those distros and a fast USB stick.

Have you looked at Ventroy? I'd set it up on a external SSD if you want fast.

@Electronics Wizardy

Yeah I mean, my drive is slow, 10 MB/s peak write and 15 MB/s peak read. Latency of course is really bad. But it is still a USB stick. Booting from my main drive is much faster.

Microsoft owns my soul.

37 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@Electronics Wizardy

Yeah I mean, my drive is slow, 10 MB/s peak write and 15 MB/s peak read. Latency of course is really bad. But it is still a USB stick. Booting from my main drive is much faster.

My 10 Eur kingston 64gb flash does 100Mb/s read and 70Mb/s write for compressed files

Just ditch that piece of junk and get something that at least has reasonable read speed... my Ventoy key has pretty bad 10-20MB/s writes so it's slightly annoying to put new images on but will read 90 or so so just fine for running stuff.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2024 at 12:53 AM, Gat Pelsinger said:

Booting from my USB drive is already very slow, and they don't even take in account that it is a Live CD. Everything is a full blown OS without any changes, so it lags a lot, and the OS reports programs not responding (like the setup) and being aggressive, when it is booting from a freaking pen drive but it doesn't know it. Just like Debian and Arch, why don't they provide an option to just bootstrap the OS?

I don't know about you but I think this more of a hardware limitation on your end, since you can pick up a usb drive with extremely fast read and writes for 15-30 bucks. Your usb stick seems to be the problem here, what do you expect with ur drive only having around 15mbp/s? 

@goatedpenguin

I know my drive is slow, but no matter what pen drive I use, using my main SSD is going to be faster no matter what. Also now I am using a different pen drive which has higher speeds.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Just now, Gat Pelsinger said:

@goatedpenguin

I know my drive is slow, but no matter what pen drive I use, using my main SSD is going to be faster no matter what. Also now I am using a different pen drive which has higher speeds.

My brain hurts...

You're expecting an operation system to be fast on slow usb drives?

What?

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

2 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

You're expecting an operation system to be fast on slow usb drives?

No, he was asking for a way to not use one.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@goatedpenguin

Ventoy on ssd