IBM has announced they can swap silicon transistors for Carbon Nanotubes

No he delids it and makes a custom lid to call it his own obviously.

Or he just looked up random words.

Hehe, but honestly.. The CPU is the last things we need to make smaller... GPUs, Power Supplys, and Mobos need to be smaller.

PSUs should not be smaller

Smaller PSUs = more heat that is harder to remove.

heat inside PSU = more voltage ripple

more voltage ripple = the premature death of your hardware

so how can you combat heat ina small space?

Simple!

Attach a industrial leaf-blower

How can you combat heat in a small space without wearing hearing protection?

Watercooling....

Can we effectively AND SAFELY watercool coils today?

yes, but not in PC PSU size... larger ones yes... the small coils used in PC PSUs simply wont let enough water flow through any pipe intergrated into them to be efficient...

wait a minute that ITX Size Mobo GPU isnt enough ?

Nah :) I wanna have to use tweezers to build my PC :P

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

PSUs should not be smaller

Smaller PSUs = more heat that is harder to remove.

heat inside PSU = more voltage ripple

more voltage ripple = the premature death of your hardware

so how can you combat heat ina small space?

Simple!

Attach a industrial leaf-blower

How can you combat heat in a small space without wearing hearing protection?

Watercooling....

Can we effectively AND SAFELY watercool coils today?

yes, but not in PC PSU size... larger ones yes... the small coils used in PC PSUs simply wont let enough water flow through any pipe intergrated into them to be efficient...

There are water coolable PSUs. :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No he delids it and makes a custom lid to call it his own obviously.

Or he just looked up random words.

Hehe, but honestly.. The CPU is the last things we need to make smaller... GPUs, Power Supplys, and Mobos need to be smaller.

Can't have a metric ass ton of overclocking options that will realistically be used twice on a ITX/mATX motherboard. 

i'll pass on that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

There are water coolable PSUs. :)

in todays size, yes.

make them notably smaller - nope

Also, smaller PSUs means they use components that are closer to their theoretical maximum (like in laptop chargers). This means that unlike today where you DO have some headroom even at "100% load", smaller PSUs, to save space will be at 100% load when it IS at 100% load. That means more wear and tear on PSU components

wait a minute that ITX Size Mobo GPU isnt enough ?

By the way did I mention I have a friend that lives in Jakarta? :)

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Hardly a repost. The other poster was very vague and barely included anything. 

the source is about the same thing

the topic is about the same thing

the news is a week old, even linus already covered it on the wan show

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

seven time my friend, SEVEN F*CKING TIME :)

Oh shoot sorry mate!  I'll fix that soooo

Did I mention I have a friend that lives in Indonesia.

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

the source is about the same thing

the topic is about the same thing

the news is a week old, even linus already covered it on the wan show

I didn't see that someone else had posted about this already, and I just found out about this today so...

-snoop dawg-

So apparently I should be scared shitless if bomb making radicals, now have consumer access to labs with silicon and micro architecture structuring machines.

The CPU is the last things we need to make smaller

Whaaaaaaaaat

are you serious?

I guess you can go back to that Pentium 4 then.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The full article is behind a paywall if anyone knows a location of the full PDF it would be appreciated.

The abstract and editor's take on IBM's article: "End-bonded contacts for carbon nanotube transistors with low, size-independent resistance"

in the journal "Science"

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/350/6256/68.abstract

IBM has more money than it knows what to do with. And the foundry was a loss. Chip sales are not. The Power 8s are a huge money maker. The servers and mainframes are huge money makers. Yes, cutting edge research is expensive, but IBM, much like Intel, has been at the forefront of a lot of innovations in the last 10 years. SMR was invented by IBM. HAMR was a collaborated invention with IBM. IBM still owns the most powerful and efficient server/supercomputer chip design (SAP benchmarks).

IBM is a roaring success.

Not to mention the revenue IBM is generating from municipalities with their smart cities infrastructure program(s).  Potential for longer term support contracts there too.

In a decade, we'll be talking about picometer manufacturing processes like we do with nanometers now.

This is a signature.

In a decade, we'll be talking about picometer manufacturing processes like we do with nanometers now.

No, a gate 1000 pm ( 1 nm ) wide would be made of something like 5 atoms. Not feasible.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

No, a gate 1000 pm ( 1 nm ) wide would be made of something like 5 atoms. Not feasible.

yet...

We may eventually find a better medium for computers than circuits and electrons.

yet...

We may eventually find a better medium for computers than circuits and electrons.

OOooh! I know! We can extract brain cells and put them into cpus!

That'd actually make a pretty good sci-fi story.

This is a signature.

yet...

Matter will still be made of atoms.

We'll probably switch to 3d even on processing units, like it's happening with memory

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

"IBM has revealed that graphene can't yet fully replace silicon inside CPUs, as a graphene transistor can't actually be completely switched off."

IBM has admitted investment has been so far a LOSS. This should be up to Intel to tackle, design and implement. IBM still has and always has had poor investing strategies. Hence, why they had to sell off their BIGGEST revenue input to make up for LOSS revenue.....

Thats because its needs more R&D which is what IBM is doing, technology research isn't a overnight job you know. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15