IBM has announced they can swap silicon transistors for Carbon Nanotubes

IBM announced today they have figured out how to replace silicon transistors with carbon nanotube analogs.

The problem engineers are facing is that the smaller silicon transistor contacts get, the higher their electrical resistance becomes. There comes a point where the components simply get too small to conduct electrons efficiently. Silicon has reached that point. But that's where the carbon nanotubes come in. These structures measure less than 10 nanometers in diameter -- that's less than half the size of today's smallest silicon transistor contact. IBM actually had to devise a new means of attaching these tiny components. Known as an "end-bonded contact scheme" the 10 nm electrical leads are chemically bonded to the metal substructure. 

The full study is going to be published tomorrow in "SCIENCE"

SO far this is only replacing the transistors, this is not an entire assembly of carbon nanotubes, so there are still areas that can be improved, and the nanotubes themselves can be shrunk down further as well. IF this scales up it could fill in some of the gaps for processor assembly and maintaining the performance improvements over time we have come to expect.

Hopefully more info will come to light on the effects these new processes will have on power, heat, and costs.

Replacing these contacts with carbon nanotubes won't just allow for computers to crunch more data, faster. This breakthrough ensures that they'll continue to shrink, following Moore's Law, for several iterations beyond what silicon components are capable of.

UPDATE:
The full article is behind a paywall if anyone knows a location of the full PDF it would be appreciated.

The abstract and editor's take on IBM's article: "End-bonded contacts for carbon nanotube transistors with low, size-independent resistance"
in the journal "Science"

Update Source: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/350/6256/68.abstract

Original Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/01/ibm-unlocks-the-secret-to-carbon-nanotube-transistors/

Glorious IBM master race./s

Well they're the ones putting advances in this tech, so yes, IBM master race.

everybody give IBM a round of applause

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

IBM: Incompetent Belligerent Mistake

I don't give IBM a round of applause, because I bet this technology WILL NOT take flight, and it's more of a reason to look away from them.

My opinion, I don't care.

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ PROJECT: GreenLANTERN (click to view)

Gotta love IBM. What don't they invent/improve upon?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Nice. But can they make smaller nanotubes?, is the real question.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nice. But can they make smaller nanotubes?, is the real question.

According to the article that is the plan.

According to the article that is the plan.

Is it feasible and affordable with our current technology?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

That's why the sold their consumer level PC industry.

STUPID. 

They were greedy since making the ThinkPad, making it basically the same price as MacBook Pro when I could get an HP EliteBook that did everything IBM did at a much much affordable price, with also the same industry-leading support, quality and service.

I don't give IBM a round of applause, because I bet this technology WILL NOT take flight, and it's more of a reason to look away from them.

I don't even know what you're going on about. We need this technology, that or graphene, to replace silicon. If you hadn't noticed, we are beginning to reach the limits of what silicon can do. It's taking longer and longer each generation to move down to smaller process sizes. We need new technology like this to prevent the advancement of computer technology from stagnating.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

STUPID. 

They aren't stupid just because they aren't making ultra dope-tastic 4GHz, quad core, unlocked gaming CPUs like Intel are (and AMD hopefully will be.)

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Is it feasible and affordable with our current technology?

Affordable? doubt it, feasible? Probably more and more so as the process gets more and more developed.

STUPID. 

They were greedy since making the ThinkPad, making it basically the same price as MacBook Pro when I could get an HP EliteBook that did everything IBM did at a much much affordable price, with also the same industry-leading support, quality and service.

Uh. Do you not want some cool shit to push the tech industry forward?

I don't even know what you're going on about. We need this technology, that or graphene, to replace silicon. If you hadn't noticed, we are beginning to reach the limits of what silicon can do. It's taking longer and longer each generation to move down to smaller process sizes. We need new technology like this to prevent the advancement of computer technology from stagnating.

"IBM has revealed that graphene can't yet fully replace silicon inside CPUs, as a graphene transistor can't actually be completely switched off."

IBM has admitted investment has been so far a LOSS. This should be up to Intel to tackle, design and implement. IBM still has and always has had poor investing strategies. Hence, why they had to sell off their BIGGEST revenue input to make up for LOSS revenue.....

STUPID. 

Their decision to sell their pc division was the result of a long downfall that started with them partnering with microsoft to make OS/2. MS killed them, not their "stupidity" or greed - and while their thinkpads may have been overpriced, I think there's a reason I keep seeing 12+ year old thinkpads and almost no other old laptops around.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My data center as well has ended lease contracts with IBM because of lack of partnership-friendly agreements.

Why? Financially IBM IS BROKEN.

People who want to keep IBM in the PC tech industry are fooling themselves. What actually is happening, IBM is so poorly funded, THEY CAUSE STAGNATION TO THE INDUSTRY. 

Their propaganda is nothing more of failed starts, hopeless dreams and big money pits.

My data center as well has ended lease contracts with IBM because of lack of partnership-friendly agreements.

Go ride the IBM gravy train.... it WILL fall completely very soon.

WAKE UP PEOPLE:

"GLOBALFOUNDRIES becomes IBM's exclusive semiconductor processor technology provider for the next 10 years, ensuring a long-term supply of semiconductors for IBM systems."

Source: IBM'S WEBSITE

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/47241.wss

Oh dear. What did IBM ever DO to you?

What does global foundries have to do with this? Do you realize 10 years are not that long? Developing new technology like nanotube transistors requires a lot of time. They have some prototypes now, but they are nowhere near ready for use. Do you think intel just whips a new transistor out of their butts every year without working on it for years every time? Intel had prototype 10nm transistors last year, and yet the launch date for their 10nm cpus is set in 2017 and they didn't even need to use a brand new semiconductor for those. By the time nanotubes become viable that contract will have expired.

You should be glad someone like IBM invests in new technology instead of farming their old patents. IBM is still a major player on the mainframe/server leasing field, and they could probably sit on their asses for years to come and be none the worse off for it. But they don't.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh dear. What did IBM ever DO to you?

What does global foundries have to do with this? Do you realize 10 years are not that long? Developing new technology like nanotube transistors requires a lot of time. They have some prototypes now, but they are nowhere near ready for use. Do you think intel just whips a new transistor out of their butts every year without working on it for years every time? Intel had prototype 10nm transistors last year, and yet the launch date for their 10nm cpus is set in 2017 and they didn't even need to use a brand new semiconductor for those. By the time nanotubes become viable that contract will have expired.

You should be glad someone like IBM invests in new technology instead of farming their old patents. IBM is still a major player on the mainframe/server leasing field, and they could probably sit on their asses for years to come and be none the worse off for it. But they don't.

THIS.. read below.

VERY... people disregard people for no reason. My reasoning's have VALIDITY.

And also this.

People who want to keep IBM in the PC tech industry are fooling themselves. What actually is happening, IBM is so poorly funded, THEY CAUSE STAGNATION TO THE INDUSTRY. 

Their propaganda is nothing more of failed starts, hopeless dreams and big money pits.

Go ride the IBM gravy train.... it WILL fall completely very soon.

WAKE UP PEOPLE:

"GLOBALFOUNDRIES becomes IBM's exclusive semiconductor processor technology provider for the next 10 years, ensuring a long-term supply of semiconductors for IBM systems."

Source: IBM'S WEBSITE

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/47241.wss

Are you a McDonalds fry? Because you sure are salty, mate. :)

Are you a McDonalds fry? Because you sure are salty, mate. :)

More like, being fried so long that salt can't even help overcome the amount of crispiness bitter taste. :-P