Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Springfield XDM line has amazing triggers, and last I checked was doing a deal that gets you two free stainless steel mags for registering your pistol warranty thingy with them.

Their magazines are very nice. Never had a malfunction in my XDM other than that one time I somehow accidentally ended up with a .380 round in my 9mm gun. Not enough power to cycle it.

Xdm is one of the ones I am looking at along with various Sigs, S&Ws, FNs and HKs

11 minutes ago, george357 said:

Xdm is one of the ones I am looking at along with various Sigs, S&Ws, FNs and HKs

I like 1911s.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, george357 said:

I like the XDM's with a stainless slide. If you haven't, try 100-200 rounds through one at a range.

Their trigger is the best I've encountered in a stock semi-auto pistol. Only thing better I've used is the trigger on my dads revolver.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 hours ago, george357 said:

Sheriff's Department called today, my CCW was ready now time to get serious about some pistol shopping :)

I know it isn't a very sexy pistol, but check out the S&W Shield.

They are cheap, very reliable, light, and easy to conceal.

I'll carry a few other pistols from time to time (full size and compact) but my Shield remains my primary CCW.

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I like 1911s.

Everybody who shoots likes 1911s at least a little bit, now unless you are 400lbs, don't care about concealed carry, or are just being willfully ignorant, shut up!

@george357 IMO if you are looking to grab a typical concealed carry, the Sig P365 is the only option. Shoots soft, fun to practice with, runs between 10-12 bullets per mag depending on state, and you can mod the grip without getting piled on by the atf thanks to the internal serialized frame

That being said, if you work/live in less scrutinized situations, you've got tons of options

2 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

now unless you are 400lbs, don't care about concealed carry,

You do realize that there are compact 1911s, right?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

You do realize that there are compact 1911s, right?

Still not a great choice if you're going with the .45 caliber version. Ammo capacity too low, and you'll get similar or better ballistic performance out of hot 9mm hollow points, with less recoil.

23 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Ammo capacity too low

Not really.

24 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

you'll get similar or better ballistic performance out of hot 9mm hollow points,

Compared to what round. I see these shitty comparisons between ball and specialized ammo and it being touted as a universal 9mm > 45.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Not really.

Compared to what round. I see these shitty comparisons between ball and specialized ammo and it being touted as a universal 9mm > 45.

I was comparing 9mm to .45

9mm is generally regarded as a better round for conceal carry because you can fit more of it into a smaller gun, and despite this it has equal performance on the target. Ball ammo is a poor option for carrying because it could potentially over-penetrate.

.45 Hollow point isn't great because it usually lacks enough velocity to expand as much as it could, if it were coming out of a longer barrel which would allow for more velocity.

The 1911 is a good range gun. Maybe a good home defense gun (although a shotgun would be preferable for that).

9 hours ago, Snadzies said:

I know it isn't a very sexy pistol, but check out the S&W Shield.

They are cheap, very reliable, light, and easy to conceal.

I'll carry a few other pistols from time to time (full size and compact) but my Shield remains my primary CCW.

I have a couple different Shields in my Watch list at Buds Gun Shop, my primary criteria will be getting the best possible pistol for the dollar spent and the Shield definitely can be on that list.

8 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

Everybody who shoots likes 1911s at least a little bit, now unless you are 400lbs, don't care about concealed carry, or are just being willfully ignorant, shut up!

@george357 IMO if you are looking to grab a typical concealed carry, the Sig P365 is the only option. Shoots soft, fun to practice with, runs between 10-12 bullets per mag depending on state, and you can mod the grip without getting piled on by the atf thanks to the internal serialized frame

That being said, if you work/live in less scrutinized situations, you've got tons of options

While I am looking at Sig (220, 226, 229,  SO Primarily) the P365 has been recorded as having some issues from what I have seen. I am researching this more to see whether it will make final consideration 

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I was comparing 9mm to .45

9mm is generally regarded as a better round for conceal carry because you can fit more of it into a smaller gun, and despite this it has equal performance on the target. Ball ammo is a poor option for carrying because it could potentially over-penetrate.

.45 Hollow point isn't great because it usually lacks enough velocity to expand as much as it could, if it were coming out of a longer barrel which would allow for more velocity.

The 1911 is a good range gun. Maybe a good home defense gun (although a shotgun would be preferable for that).

One of my current Primary Choices is a HK 45 Tactical that holds 10+1. I am a large individual at 395 currently and I am also in a wheelchair so concealment is not an issue, I could get away with hiding an AR Pistol lol.

As far as the 9mm versus .45 issue I will never accept that the 9mm is superior. I have been shooting since 1980 (my dads .22 single action revolver when I was eight) and have shot many many firearms in a large variety of calibers. While I do respect the 9mm as a good round and a great carry gun if it comes to having a choice between the 9mm, .40, and 45 and all other qualifications being equal (i.e. Quality of firearm and price) the 9mm will be my third choice. The only real advantage the 9mm has over the other two for me is a) A slightly greater availability of ammo b) slightly greater available capacities. Neither of which matter enough to choose the 9mm over either of the others with my other qualifications being met.

7 minutes ago, george357 said:

As far as the 9mm versus .45 issue I will never accept that the 9mm is superior

It is if you're looking for a short range, high penetration pistol round. Otherwise it boils down to bullet design and load when comparing the two.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

21 hours ago, george357 said:

Sheriff's Department called today, my CCW was ready now time to get serious about some pistol shopping :)

If my opinion counts for anything, the SCCY CPX-2 is an amazing budget option (the CPX-1 if you need a thumb safety).  I also recommend the Ruger LCP with a techna clip if you want something super compact and super easy to conceal.

Other than that, I don’t have much experience with concealed carry pistols outside a couple military surplus COMBLOC guns.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

23 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

We try to keep the politics to a minimum. As politics are technically against the forum rules.

We mainly get away with this thread because firearms are a type of technology lol

Cool,  loophole...

I am retired Army and  NRA, Rifle, Pistol, and Home Defense, instructor.  I have taught women and children self-defense.   If I can help anyone I am happy to.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

6 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

I have taught women and children self-defense.

I fear the NRA may be sabotaging your profession...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It is if you're looking for a short range, high penetration pistol round. Otherwise it boils down to bullet design and load when comparing the two.

That's generally what pistols are for, isn't it?

We're talking about conceal carry guns. I don't know many people conceal carrying for long range shots lol

5 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

That's generally what pistols are for, isn't it?

We're talking about conceal carry guns. I don't know many people conceal carrying for long range shots lol

You mean you don’t?  I’ve been taking down my AR and sticking it in a backpack everywhere I go!

Lol

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

You mean you don’t?  I’ve been taking down my AR and sticking it in a backpack everywhere I go!

Lol

True American spotted.

Anyway, a girl needs to defend her home, what's something relatively easy to handle that won't over-penetrate? No way I'm using my AR-15 on leased property.

A girl who loves to love.

7 minutes ago, Aimi said:

True American spotted.

Anyway, a girl needs to defend her home, what's something relatively easy to handle that won't over-penetrate? No way I'm using my AR-15 on leased property.

12 gauge with bird shot.

Remington 870 or mossberg 500 with a decent stock on it.

7 hours ago, Aimi said:

That’s slim pickin’s. Personally, I just stick with my Mossberg 930 with low recoil Rio buckshot. It’s beneficial to have worked construction for 8 years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Before I got this Beretta PX4 9mm I was carrying a Glock G29 gen 4 10mm pistol. It holds 11 rounds and I carried two 15 round G20 magazines on my belt. I also had a 40sw and a 9x25 Dillon barrels for this pistol.

When I was carrying a "9mm" I was carrying a very potent 9mm. Since I liked going to the range and shoot, these ammo are a bit expensive so I sold it all and just carry a 9mm Luger. It'll do the job with the Fenix 9mm 124 +P+ Gold Dots.

When's Lunch?

18 hours ago, knightslugger said:

I fear the NRA may be sabotaging your profession...

Lol, you might be right.  I got in teaching Women and children self-defense due to the fact the amount of BS out there, that was at the lest stupid and most will get you killed.  I did mainly in my off time while I was in the Army. My NRA instructor, I used to teach classes for people to get their CC here in Maine. Now that we are a ConstuionalCarry state that has pretty much stopped. Though from a legal point I think that going through the course and getting your CC permit would go in your favor in court if you did have to use your weapon. But anyway, being retired I did that to have something to do and to keep me out of the bars and away from hookers.

?   So now I have switched to building systems for family and friends, though I still compete in 3 gun and Glock GSSF. I would like to get into Cowboy shooting but not much of that up here and what is a long drive.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

There was a story here not long ago where a hospital was put on lock down because someone went up to security and said they saw someone in the parking lot fiddling with what appeared to be a firearm, and that person then went into the hospital. Turns out, what that person was fiddling with was an air soft pistol and did NOT bring it into the hospital AT ALL. The witness ASSUMED he brought it into the hospital. Of coarse, the person who reported it was also then garnered a hero for "Saying something"... but it literally put an entire community on ultra high alert for a nothing-burger. BS that happens in every parking lot all over the city 100 times a day.

After the police made contact with the person, they searched his vehicle anyway, CONFISCATED THE AIR SOFT PISTOL, and did not charge the person with any crime.

How is this not theft?

I started thinking about my own situation. I carry daily. I have a lock box in my vehicle. If i needed to go into the hospital, i would have to disarm due to their policy of no firearms. That means my firearm would be exposed to someone's gawking by simply removing it from my waistband and putting it in a locked container. I could very well be that person who is the subject of a lock down, and then the police would confiscate my firearm for a non-event / non-crime? I would then be the bad guy in every social media feed and news story. All the person with the airsoft pistol did was effectively disarm before entering the facility.

The whole thing seems pretty fucking bullshit to me.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

There was a story here not long ago where a hospital was put on lock down because someone went up to security and said they saw someone in the parking lot fiddling with what appeared to be a firearm, and that person then went into the hospital. Turns out, what that person was fiddling with was an air soft pistol and did NOT bring it into the hospital AT ALL. The witness ASSUMED he brought it into the hospital. Of coarse, the person who reported it was also then garnered a hero for "Saying something"... but it literally put an entire community on ultra high alert for a nothing-burger. BS that happens in every parking lot all over the city 100 times a day.

After the police made contact with the person, they searched his vehicle anyway, CONFISCATED THE AIR SOFT PISTOL, and did not charge the person with any crime.

How is this not theft?

I started thinking about my own situation. I carry daily. I have a lock box in my vehicle. If i needed to go into the hospital, i would have to disarm due to their policy of no firearms. That means my firearm would be exposed to someone's gawking by simply removing it from my waistband and putting it in a locked container. I could very well be that person who is the subject of a lock down, and then the police would confiscate my firearm for a non-event / non-crime? I would then be the bad guy in every social media feed and news story. All the person with the airsoft pistol did was effectively disarm before entering the facility.

The whole thing seems pretty fucking bullshit to me.

Huge reason to drive a full size truck. The clearance off the ground makes it harder to peer in without being uber obvious about it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I carry daily. I have a lock box in my vehicle. If i needed to go into the hospital, i would have to disarm due to their policy of no firearms. That means my firearm would be exposed to someone's gawking by simply removing it from my waistband and putting it in a locked container.

Not to mention that every time you're forced to remove and then holster it again, it creates one more possibility of an accidental discharge.  I was thinking about that myself one day, when I went to a state run shooting range where they absolutely forbid carrying on the premises (after all, why would anyone have loaded firearms at a shooting range....).  ALL firearms have to be unloaded and secured before bringing them into the facility.  Needless to say, I don't go there anymore.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Huge reason to drive a full size truck. The clearance off the ground makes it harder to peer in without being uber obvious about it.

Not everyone can afford a $60,000 vehicle just so they can remain obscured while performing a legally required action and not become public enemy #1.

System specs: