Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 minutes ago, Aimi said:

What, is there a pistol round you want to be hit with?

There are rounds I'd rather be hit with more than .22LR.

Namely anything with a good chance of a quick, clean kill.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

you'd be surprised what people do (or stop doing) upon hearing multiple gunshots and feeling sizzling lead in their bodies.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

So to take a break from the age old best conceal carry caliber argument, I'm planning a long float trip in Arkansas and I'm having trouble finding out if their constitutional carry laws apply to residents of other states as well.

Does anyone know where I can go or who I can talk to to find out?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

So to take a break from the age old best conceal carry caliber argument,

.50 lead ball. From a wheel lock.

There, argument settled.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Yep, you run into those kind of people no matter where you go and what topic you're discussing.  Sometimes it's not even worth addressing them, sadly.  They're just too stuck on the mindset that they know what's best for everyone else.

It's funny, I find that the people who like to give others a hard time over what gun they carry, almost never carry a gun themselves. But they think it's alright cuz they talk to gun store clerks and watch every nutnfancy video. LOL

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

40 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It's funny, I find that the people who like to give others a hard time over what gun they carry, almost never carry a gun themselves. But they think it's alright cuz they talk to gun store clerks and watch every nutnfancy video.

I've run into similar situations as a computer technician.  I even get people who talk to me about computers, who believe they know better than I do and try to tell me (not just other customers) what's right and what isn't.  I just can't get it through to them that I've been doing this for nearly 3 decades and have a wee bit more experience than them.

What's even funnier is when they're bringing in a computer for service, and they're adamant that they already know what the problem is.  I've actually had people argue when I suggest what could be wrong, and they insist that it's definitely not the case.  9 times out of 10, it turns out to be the case after we run diagnostics.

15 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Some idiot in a discord server was trying to tell me to not get a gun I want, but an SP1.  But he’s also the type of guy to give someone shit for the 1911 being their favorite handgun (or anything other than some 9mm handgun that can carry at least 16 rounds).

He was also giving me shit for carrying a Ruger LCP and CPX-2... and telling me, unironically, that I should carry a CZ-75 or Glock 17. 

I like easily concealable firearms, I don’t want to try and conceal a full sized firearm.

Don’t be like this.  It’s okay to give people shit, but don’t be a gun snob or put down others for having different preferences.

That's ridiculous, you should only make fun of someone if a 1911 is their favorite carry handgun, because for that it's terrible. Great comp gun though!

A G17 is way too big to carry, same for a full size CZ, a 2075 Rami is a different story...

Also as far as carrying something in 9mm with a large capacity, he's not wrong, but pretending that's the only correct choice is moronic. For example it completely ignores the best pistol caliber of all, 10mm!

13 hours ago, Aimi said:

Does he also know that .45 will be better even if he can hit shots with 9mm?

Ahhh good old .45 AARP

1 minute ago, Slumberjack said:

you should only make fun of someone if a 1911 is their favorite carry handgun, because for that it's terrible.

It really isn't, seeing as it was designed explicitly to be a carry gun and well vetted through military use.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

That's ridiculous, you should only make fun of someone if a 1911 is their favorite carry handgun, because for that it's terrible. Great comp gun though!

In the first CCW class I ever took the instructor made fun of 1911s and 380 ACP, one of the guys in the class brought his little Browning 1911 in 380, and was super butt hurt about it too. Everyone else in there just kinda laughed it off. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It really isn't, seeing as it was designed explicitly to be a carry gun and well vetted through military use.

So for the record this is all meant as good natured ribbing, not trying to be the exact guy we are making fun of, obviously everyone has what works for them and that's the only real answer when it comes to carry, yada yada.

Now that being said, the 1911 was designed for carry back when carry meant a shapeless canvas sack hanging off your 4" wide service belt. I could say the same thing for my P229(M11-a1). It's one of my favorite guns and being based off the P228, the design was intended for carry, problem is it was designed for carry when carry meant a nylon drop leg holster!

When it comes to carrying today, in modern full kydex or hybrid holsters, intended for IWB or AIWB carry, the only guns in full size calibers that you could argue are designed for carry are things like the G43, P365, P938, S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2, Ruger LC9, Springfield XDs, etc.

the 1911 was designed for carry back when carry meant a shapeless canvas sack hanging off your 4" wide service belt.

It was designed during that time, but it was designed to be carried in any fashion.

Hell, one can straight carry a 1911 in their pocket with little to no issue. A Commander or smaller is usually concealable in the pocket of cargo or carpenter pants.

4 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

the only guns in full size calibers that you could argue are designed for carry are things like the G43, P365, P938, S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2, Ruger LC9, Springfield XDs, etc.

I wouldn't argue that anything with a trigger "safety" as the only safety one interacts with is designed for carry. Nor would I argue that any of those pistols are inherently better as carry guns beyond meeting specific needs that aren't as common as people think.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

When it comes to carrying today, in modern full kydex or hybrid holsters, intended for IWB or AIWB carry, the only guns in full size calibers that you could argue are designed for carry are things like the G43, P365, P938, S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2, Ruger LC9, Springfield XDs, etc.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nor would I argue that any of those pistols are inherently better as carry guns beyond meeting specific needs that aren't as common as people think.

I'd argue that the only requirements to whether a gun is good for carry, is if you can conceal it and if you can pull it out quickly.  Any gun which meets those requirements is a good carry gun.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I'd argue that the only requirements to whether a gun is good for carry, is if you can conceal it and if you can pull it out quickly.  Any gun which meets those requirements is a good carry gun.

Add in an acceptable level of reliability and I'm right there with you. 

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I wouldn't argue that anything with a trigger "safety" as the only safety one interacts with is designed for carry.

Interesting, I don't come across many people who argue for safeties.

Personally I like my guns with none at all long as they are drop safe, one of the things I like about DA/SA hammer guns, but I know that's mostly personal preference over any real practical concern. The folks who try to argue a manual safety impedes self-defense are just too lazy to train on their intended platform.

Just now, Slumberjack said:

Personally I like my guns with none at all long as they are drop safe, one of the things I like about DA/SA hammer guns, but I know that's mostly personal preference over any real practical concern.

Same here.  Both my LC9s Pro and my P2000 have no safety (unless you count the near useless trigger "safety" on the LC9).  I do have an SR9 which has a safety, but I don't carry that one.  It's my home defense and/or backup carry.  That one also has the annoying mag release "safety", whereby I can't fire if the magazine is removed.

2 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

I don't come across many people who argue for safeties.

Too many people shoot themselves or bystanders with guns that lack safeties compared to those with them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

That one also has the annoying mag release "safety", whereby I can't fire if the magazine is removed.

Uggghhhhh those drive me insane! It's like they've never heard of dry fire practice!

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Too many people shoot themselves or bystanders with guns that lack safeties compared to those with them.

Fair but I'd argue that's more of a problem with how they are carried than whether or not there's a safety. It's the same argument as carrying with one in the chamber or not. As quoted directly from the FAQ on reddit's CCW sub, "There has never been a single confirmed case of a modern, name-brand handgun "accidentally discharging" while inside of a hard polymer holster."

As long as someone is carrying properly, they'll be fine, and if they are gonna ignore best practice, they are just as likely to ignore a manual safety. 

I'd argue that's more of a problem with how they are carried than whether or not there's a safety. It's the same argument as carrying with one in the chamber or not.

It's everything to do with humans being humans. Making mistakes. A manual safety limits how many mistakes go from "whoops" to someone going to the hospital (or worse).

Trigger "safeties" don't do that, unless you own my TP9SFx, where the trigger itself is too awkward for the safety and catches up when you first grab the gun.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's everything to do with humans being humans. Making mistakes. A manual safety limits how many mistakes go from "whoops" to someone going to the hospital (or worse).

Trigger "safeties" don't do that, unless you own my TP9SFx, where the trigger itself is too awkward for the safety and catches up when you first grab the gun.

Out of curiosity how do you feel about DA revolvers and DA/SA autos? Does a heavy DA trigger pull compensate for the lack of a hard toggle switch?

Just now, Slumberjack said:

Out of curiosity how do you feel about DA revolvers and DA/SA autos?

Boils down the the specific pistol in question.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I kinda want to buy a S&W 627 Performance center to bring my USPSA game to "Hard mode" ?

Which would be a little weird to shoot both ends of the spectrum, Carry Optics and Revolver simultaneously, but it would be good fun. 

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I kinda want to buy a S&W 627 Performance center to bring my USPSA game to "Hard mode" ?

Get the 2.5" version for expert mode.  Ha ha... I was thinking of the 686. ?‍♂️

I have the 5", it's a nice shot.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

16 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Which would be a little weird to shoot both ends of the spectrum, Carry Optics and Revolver simultaneously, but it would be good fun. 

I've been thinking about grabbing one of those or a 929 for the same reason. Feel like revolver would be fun, and my only local competition would be like two old dudes who still shoot in the weaver stance lol

Then I remember I should probably focus on just getting better in Carry Optics, haven't even gotten used to my DPP yet.