Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Get the 2.5" version for expert mode.  Ha ha...

I have the 5", it's a nice shot.

...I didn't even realize that they made a 627 in 2.5"! That thing looks hella awesome. 

I'd be interested in the 5" Performance center model:

170210_01_lg_1.jpg?itok=rrX1umsu

I would not want to try a revolver that was not cut for moon clips in USPSA, I'd never recover from the embarrassment. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@Real_PhillBertI've been tossing around the idea of picking up the 686 6" performance center.  The barrel weights are interesting.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

I've been thinking about grabbing one of those or a 929 for the same reason. Feel like revolver would be fun, and my only local competition would be like two old dudes who still shoot in the weaver stance lol

Then I remember I should probably focus on just getting better in Carry Optics, haven't even gotten used to my DPP yet.

Those 929s are super cool, and would certainly be cheaper to shoot. 

My local club has about a dozen regulars or so, but no one shoots revolver division, So I'd have a chance! :D

I did production minor for about a year, then carry optics minor for the last two or so with my G19 W/RMR. Tons of fun. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

@Real_PhillBertI've been tossing around the idea of picking up the 686 6" performance center.  The barrel weights are interesting.

I kinda looked at that too. I like the 686 in general, and the added weights would be an interesting addition for competitive stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I did production minor for about a year, then carry optics minor for the last two or so with my G19 W/RMR. Tons of fun. 

I started last summer in Single Stack with a Sig Nightmare 1911 5", then sold it to a buddy and grabbed a Walther Q5 Match for production minor, which lemme tell you that gun is an absolute steal at only ~$700. There's the new steel frame version for like a grand but imo the polymer version is a better bargain. Anyways, grabbed a Delta Point Pro in mid winter with the intention of swapping to Carry Optics, but I've only made it out to like one event so far as I've been lazy and the weather has been awful.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I'd argue that the only requirements to whether a gun is good for carry, is if you can conceal it and if you can pull it out quickly.  Any gun which meets those requirements is a good carry gun.

Which is both my LCP and my CPX-2

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Add in an acceptable level of reliability and I'm right there with you. 

See above, lol.

5 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It's funny, I find that the people who like to give others a hard time over what gun they carry, almost never carry a gun themselves. But they think it's alright cuz they talk to gun store clerks and watch every nutnfancy video. LOL

He carries, he’s just a hypocrite also, I was just getting annoyed yesterday with him.

4 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

That's ridiculous, you should only make fun of someone if a 1911 is their favorite carry handgun, because for that it's terrible. Great comp gun though!

A G17 is way too big to carry, same for a full size CZ, a 2075 Rami is a different story...

Also as far as carrying something in 9mm with a large capacity, he's not wrong, but pretending that's the only correct choice is moronic. For example it completely ignores the best pistol caliber of all, 10mm!

Ahhh good old .45 AARP

He carries it.  Anytime someone asks what they should get for a CCW, he’ll be like, “CZ-75 or G17.  I usually try to ask are they carrying it while wearing a jacket, are they wanting deep concealment, etc.  

Also, larger capacity isn’t everything.  It’s failed as a carry gun, regardless of reliability or capacity, if I can’t conceal it.  I can’t conceal it properly, it’s not a good carry gun for me.

And for the record, I didn’t say that the 1911 was my favorite carry gun, just my favorite handgun.  It was a gift from my uncle and the first pistol I owned when turning 21.  

Hell, I’m proficient on the Hi-Point C380 of all things, because that’s what my stepdad owned and what I learned to shoot handguns with.

But he even tried to bash that.  “You didn’t learn on a Glock or Sig or Vector?”

Yeah, we didn’t have money growing up.

(this is why I also have a slight fanboyism to Hi-Point... there... I said it.)

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

He carries it.  Anytime someone asks what they should get for a CCW, he’ll be like, “CZ-75 or G17.  I usually try to ask are they carrying it while wearing a jacket, are they wanting deep concealment, etc.

It's this kind of willful ignorance that I find most frustrating. It's the same idea of recommending a full size 1911 to carry. Like, sure buddy, you can carry a giant, heavy, monster pistol all day comfortably, neat, but you have to know that you're in the minority there right? But somehow, that's never the case, they are always convinced that everyone can carry something that 90% of people can't.

1 minute ago, Slumberjack said:

you can carry a giant, heavy, monster pistol

A full size 1911 isn't giant, and it's not really much heavier than most poly pistols.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

It's this kind of willful ignorance that I find most frustrating. It's the same idea of recommending a full size 1911 to carry. Like, sure buddy, you can carry a giant, heavy, monster pistol all day comfortably, neat, but you have to know that you're in the minority there right? But somehow, that's never the case, they are always convinced that everyone can carry something that 90% of people can't.

Exactly.  Like, are there better carry guns than some?  Sure.  The LCP 2 is one of the best sub compact .380s you can get.  You’d be hard pressed to recommend something else over it.

But different strokes for different folks also.  

Hell, my uncle carries one of them tiny .22LR revolvers in his pocket.  That wouldn’t work for me, but if it works for him, more power to him.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

A full size 1911 isn't giant, and it's not really much heavier than most poly pistols.

They're slim too.  I carry a SR1911 from time to time and find it comfortable. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

They're slim too.  I carry a SR1911 from time to time and find it comfortable. 

Single stackers are, I have a RIA High Cap and it's fairly wide.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

This is straight up wrong though. A full size 1911 is 40oz unloaded while a G17 is 22oz, that's over a full pound difference. Also a 5" barrel and a 4" grip is a lot to deal with concealing and pretending otherwise is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Hell, my uncle carries one of them tiny .22LR revolvers in his pocket.  That wouldn’t work for me, but if it works for him, more power to him.

I could never trust one of those beyond an absolute worst case backup gun.

Just now, Slumberjack said:

A full size 1911 is 40oz unloaded while a G17 is 22oz, that's over a full pound difference.

And that would mean something if both guns were significantly heavier.

1 minute ago, Slumberjack said:

Also a 5" barrel and a 4" grip is a lot to deal with concealing and pretending otherwise is ridiculous.

For many people, whether they realize it or not, the difference between a full size and a commander, much like a G17 and G19, is marginal. It's only in unique situations that demand smaller pistols that a full size isn't viable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And that would mean something if both guns were significantly heavier.

For many people, whether they realize it or not, the difference between a full size and a commander, much like a G17 and G19, is marginal. It's only in unique situations that demand smaller pistols that a full size isn't viable.

I can't get on board with either of these statements, .5 - 1 lbs is already a lot to strap to your belt, jumping all the way to 2.5 is an enormous difference, and IMO a commander is still too big for carry, at least IWB. A 9mm Springfield EMP is about the largest 1911 variant I'd personally be willing to carry IWB.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna stop anyone from trying a 1911 for carry if they want to, I'm just saying for most people it's not gonna work.

13 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

So to take a break from the age old best conceal carry caliber argument, I'm planning a long float trip in Arkansas and I'm having trouble finding out if their constitutional carry laws apply to residents of other states as well.

Does anyone know where I can go or who I can talk to to find out?

This may help

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/arkansas-gun-laws/#details

16 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

So to take a break from the age old best conceal carry caliber argument, I'm planning a long float trip in Arkansas and I'm having trouble finding out if their constitutional carry laws apply to residents of other states as well.

Does anyone know where I can go or who I can talk to to find out?

https://asp.arkansas.gov/services-and-programs/detail/concealed-handgun-licensing

"Effective August 16, 2013, the State of Arkansas acknowledges all concealed handgun carry licenses lawfully issued by another state."

You will be required to abide by the laws of the State you travel to.  Not the State in which the license or permit was issued.  Might be a good idea to peruse the statutes for that State and any State you'll be travelling through.  A few years ago a man was arrested here in Ohio for walking into a courthouse and asking where he should check his firearm.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Got a couple goodies today.

First I got a Faxon 15inch carbon fiber handguard for my AR15 build.

Weighs a hair over 8oz with the handguard, barrel nut, and hardware.

266767897_20190328_0251351-min.thumb.jpg.24c9bfabd710cc2e55d40b3b1062f08a.jpg

2115886612_20190328_1601041-min.thumb.jpg.2b806cf7b3bbebceaccd13b5198711d9.jpg

Next I picked up a Bersa 380 Plus Combat (15+1).

If it does well after a few trips to the range and I find a decent holster I'm hoping to have it be my primary CCW,

1144971328_20190328_1604371-min.thumb.jpg.7415e6024d0f0cff1df5d67989f2e453.jpg

Found out something interesting at the range today. Seems that I had to revise my list again and stick with 40 grain ammo of any kind. Any lighter grain ended up keyholes on the target. 40 grain is the only ammo that shot true and accurate.

Also the Federal 22 LR LRN was the only one in the group that shot true so from now on it's 40 grain.

My new list to try out:

100 rnd CCI 22 LR Velocitor 40 grain CPHP

100 rnd Winchester 22 LR Wildcat 40 grain LRN 

100 rnd Federal 22 LR Lightning 40 grain LRN

500 rnd Remington 22 LR Thunderbolt 40 grain LRN

275 rnd Federal 22 LR Power Shock 38 grain CPHP

and of course the Hornady 22 WMR Critical Defense 45 grain FTX (100 rnd)

whew! I think I'm done.

When's Lunch?

I got my CETME/G3!!!

A64240AF-642B-4846-8DAE-3F6D14896D7D.jpeg

AC47C75E-E8BF-4327-8F84-76928C7CD3DC.jpeg

I’m going to edit in a few things.  For the longest time, I’ve had a hard time finding a G3 for a good price.  Century Arms recently starting making the C308 from surplus parts.  I picked one up cause I always wanted one.

The main reason is sentimental value.  The first rifle I ever fired was a 10/22, my stepdad later gave me that same 10/22 (it’s still my favorite gun today).  The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was his pre-ban G3.  Yeah, big step up from .22LR to .308.  But I’ve been in love with the CETME/G3 ever since then.  Today I finally got one of my own.

8 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I got my CETME/G3!!!

(snip)

Holy cow, did that come with 4 mags?!

I'm too used to rifle manufacturers being stingy bastards and only providing 1 mag.

11 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Holy cow, did that come with 4 mags?!

I'm too used to rifle manufacturers being stingy bastards and only providing 1 mag.

It came with two, but my gun shop sells surplus CETME and G3 mags for less than $10 a pop.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I knew that gun looked familiar.  Mine is the original .308 model, not the C308, but it's pretty much the same thing.imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db81731581984_CETME308.thumb.png.b0ccbeaf68984f2f2541b50325d66a61.png

I heard CA did some improvements to reliability over the 308 and C308, also the included picatinny rail on the top is a god send for mounting optics.  (Since HK’s solution is crap).

Also, I gotta admit, while I grew up with the black stock, I gotta admit I really like the wood.

Oh, the C308 also comes with a muzzle brake from the factory.  From reviews I’ve read, it’s pretty effective 

22D47D77-C54A-40AA-B90D-B82C4C821357.jpeg

So one magazine was really clean, and that’s fully loaded now.  The other three were caked in cosmoline though.

Also, CETME mags when caked in cosmoline, a re a bitch and a half to take apart.