iPad Surface Pro

GoodBytes

I just find it amusuing that a bunch of people talking down about fanboys are here in an echochamber talking bad about a product that of which all they know is a spec sheet. There is a market for this product, it might not be you, but it does exist. Calling someone stupid because they see value in something that you don't really just makes you seem like the idiot. I've been in the market for something in this product segment and having another option beside the Surface Pro 3/4 is far from a bad thing. As a student and working professional something that bridges the gap between a tablet and my desktop is very compelling.

End Note: You can't really call something that isn't on sale yet "overpriced", but that's just economics. I'll go back to my day job now.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

All these claims that this is uncompetitive with the Surface Pro 3, but I'm one of the only ones to disagree?

Surface Pro 3 starts at $799 with 64GB of storage, 4GB of RAM, and a throttled i3 processor at 1.5GHz (presumably for temp control).

iPad Pro starts at $799 with 32GB of storage, 4GB of RAM, and an A9X processor.

As per processor performance, take into consideration that the previous generation A8X was competitive with the i3-4005U (1.7GHz) in Geekbench, falling behind only slightly in most tests. If the A9X is really a 70% improvement over the previous generation, I'd have to say the Surface Pro 3 is going to be given a run for its money.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

All these claims that this is uncompetitive with the Surface Pro 3, but I'm one of the only ones to disagree?

Surface Pro 3 starts at $799 with 64GB of storage, 4GB of RAM, and a throttled i3 processor at 1.5GHz (presumably for temp control).

As per processor performance, take into consideration that the previous generation A8X was competitive with the i3-4005U (1.7GHz) in Geekbench, falling behind only slightly in most tests. If the A9X is really a 70% improvement over the previous generation, I'd have to say the Surface Pro 3 is going to be given a run for its money.

I agree with this, the only diffrence is going to be that the surface runs on a proper desktop/laptop OS for it's form and function, while the ipad is going to run on IOS, a mobile OS and both seem to be aimed at the same category of consumers within the same price range.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The Surface Pro 3 Core i3 CPU is not throttled. It is the i3-4020Y

http://ark.intel.com/products/76609/Intel-Core-i3-4020Y-Processor-3M-Cache-1_50-GHz

It goes at 1.5 GHz

The pen of the iPad Pro is 100$, it is free for the Surface Pro 3, and the keyboard is cheaper. Assuming no specials and original MSRP at release.

You can get i5-4300U (1.9GHz to 2.9GHz with turbo boost) model for very close to the same price.

I think there are third party video players that support a bunch of different formats on iOS, without having to convert them. The rest of your point are valid though.

Yes there might be, but AFAIK you cannot actually manually go into the iOS filesystem and transfer your movies over to any random folder. iPads and iPhones have to use iTunes.

You can probably use a third party app to watch a movie over your NAS, but what about when you leave your house/network? There's problems here.

Basically more labor, less fruit. This is why for professionals and enthusiasts, the obvious route to actually make your life simpler is the one with the full desktop operating system... But I can't argue with Apple's consumer base's madness.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Apple products are not made to be competitive they are made just to scam all their fanboys.

Can you really not see the irony in making such a claim.... 

Why can't Apple just a product, let's say a smartphone with the same specs like everyone else, with their premium price of course.

I mean something like a Samsung S6 with the same specs only 100$ more expensive.

Good thing the iPhone 6/6+ already competes with the S5/note4 (and presumably the 6s/6s+ with the s6/note 5).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Performance is just part of the equation. Us saying it's not competitive with the Surface Pro 3 is more about how useful it is in the real world than just performance numbers.

Backwards compatibility, for example, is important in the professional world. Your business might depend on software designed for Windows XP, or maybe as far back as Windows 98 or 95. The iPad Pro isn't gonna run that software, being that it's limited to iOS apps. The Surface Pro, meanwhile, being a full x86 PC in tablet's clothing, will run that software. Being faster is nice and all, but that doesn't mean much in the real world compared to other things.

Can you really not see the irony in making such a claim.... 

Good thing the iPhone 6/6+ already competes with the S5/note4 (and presumably the 6s/6s+ with the s6/note 5).

No it doesn't with it's shitty dual core and low resolution IPS display

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Performance is just part of the equation. Us saying it's not competitive with the Surface Pro 3 is more about how useful it is in the real world than just performance numbers.

Backwards compatibility, for example, is important in the professional world. Your business might depend on software designed for Windows XP, or maybe as far back as Windows 98 or 95. The iPad Pro isn't gonna run that software, being that it's limited to iOS apps. The Surface Pro, meanwhile, being a full x86 PC in tablet's clothing, will run that software.

I think @GoodBytes pretty much summed up what you're actually getting price/hardware-wise.

You can essentially even go with an i5 SP3 that comes with a pen for similar pricing for iPad Pro with all the expensive accessories.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

There's no point in having ultra high res screens. There's a point when it really doesn't matter. More important than the resolution is the quality of the display. Hell, even Linus agrees with that. 

And the iPhone is right around that point where any higher resolution really wouldn't matter, especially since they use one of the nicest looking displays in any current flagship phone. 

As for it's "shitty" dual core, it manages to keep up with every other flagship on the market. The number of cores is irrelevant...or would you also like to argue than an FX8350 is better than a 4790k..... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

There's no point in having ultra high res screens. There's a point when it really doesn't matter. More important than the resolution is the quality of the display. Hell, even Linus agrees with that. 

And the iPhone is right around that point where any higher resolution really wouldn't matter, especially since they use one of the nicest looking displays in any current flagship phone. 

As for it's "shitty" dual core, it manages to keep up with every other flagship on the market. The number of cores is irrelevant...or would you also like to argue than an FX8350 is better than a 4790k..... 

Why do you play on PC? Surely the PS4 and Xbox One have better optimization just like Apple so hardware doesn't matter!!!!111oneoneoneone

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I think @GoodBytes pretty much summed up what you're actually getting price/hardware-wise.

You can essentially even go with an i5 SP3 that comes with a pen for similar pricing for iPad Pro with all the expensive accessories.

That too. The Surface Pro 3 i5/128GB with all the accessories is less expensive than the iPad Pro 128GB with all the accessories. The Surface also has native Active Directory support due to it running desktop Windows, which would make integrating it into an existing AD network painless and thus help reduce integration costs. Obviously a business would rather save money than increase costs.

Why do you play on PC? Surely the PS4 and Xbox One have better optimization just like Apple so hardware doesn't matter!!!!111oneoneoneone

There's one big flaw with that argument. 

On a pc I get better performance. On an iPhone I get virtually the same performance (sometimes better, sometimes worse). So as long as the performance is comparable, then I couldn't give two shits what the hardware inside is as the hardware is irrelevant to me. All I, as a user, should care about is what kind of performance I can get. 

And that's all assuming Apple's "shitty" dual core is in fact shitty, which it's not by any means. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

LMAO this is rich, I tried to stay out of this nonsense but come on. 

The 'shitty dual core' spanks octacores from competitors. Shitty? No. Efficient. iOS leverages its reduced specs better than Android, thats just plain fact these days. Apple can do with two cores what Android does with 8 (and some would argue thats just wasted cores on Android anyways). RAM? Yea, the 6+ showed that 1GB was stupid but it still hung in with only 1GB, now its doubled so congrats to all those who got tired of Safari refreshing. 

Low resolution? Absolutely. The 6 should be 1080p and the 6+ should be 1440p but it isn't. What those displays are however is some of the best IPS panels on the planet. The only people who beat them happen to be Samsung and their latest generation AMOLEDs, of which we've already seen for the year. 

Stow your hyperbole and FUD, eh? 

Huemen eye cun't see abuve 24fapspersecond?

Wow, you went straw man real quick. Someone disputed your original train of flawed logic so now you go into irrelevant examples that have no bearing on your original thoughts. 

Bravo junior. 

LMAO this is rich, I tried to stay out of this nonsense but come on. 

The 'shitty dual core' spanks octacores from competitors. Shitty? No. Efficient. iOS leverages its reduced specs better than Android, thats just plain fact these days. Apple can do with two cores what Android does with 8 (and some would argue thats just wasted cores on Android anyways). RAM? Yea, the 6+ showed that 1GB was stupid but it still hung in with only 1GB, now its doubled so congrats to all those who got tired of Safari refreshing. 

Low resolution? Absolutely. The 6 should be 1080p and the 6+ should be 1440p but it isn't. What those displays are however is some of the best IPS panels on the planet. The only people who beat them happen to be Samsung and their latest generation AMOLEDs, of which we've already seen for the year. 

Stow your hyperbole and FUD, eh? 

Wow, you went straw man real quick. Someone disputed your original train of flawed logic so now you go into irrelevant examples that have no bearing on your original thoughts. 

Bravo junior. 

Is there any proof that it has 2gb of VRAM? AFAIK I haven't see that confirmed yet. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Is there any proof that it has 2gb of VRAM? AFAIK I haven't see that confirmed yet. 

Apple support confirmed it, I'll have to find the link, I came across it this morning when looking for what the iPad Pro had. 

People need to stop comparing the iPad Pro to the Surface Pro.
They're two very different devices.

To me, the iPad Pro looks more like a stand-alone alternative to the Wacom Cintiq tablet.
I don't doubt for a second that Apple and Adobe are working very close together to make the overall experience with the iPad Pro appeal much more artists.

People need to stop comparing the iPad Pro to the Surface Pro.

They're two very different devices.

To me, the iPad Pro looks more like a stand-alone alternative to the Wacom Cintiq tablet.

I don't doubt for a second that Apple and Adobe are working very close together to make the overall experience with the iPad Pro appeal much more artists.

The comparisons with the Surface pro aren't entirely unjustified though as the target audience, while not the same, will experience a decent bit of overlap. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Because that's what you are. 

You are defending a shitty company with evil business models just like those console fanboys.

So are you going to defend Samsung, LG, Motorola and others who buy from the exact same Chinese sweat shops? Are you going to defend the companies that have been using an operating system that's stealing your information and sending it back to Google for targeted advertisements? Are you going to defend companies like MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte for also buying from the infamous Chinese sweat shop Foxconn (albeit their orders are smaller than Apple's)?

Man, Apple is so evil, especially since they're the only company I know that's putting a lot of pressure on Chinese sweat shops like Foxconn to improve working conditions while everybody else continues their routine.

You're defending even shittier companies with even less regard for human life just like those ignorant, elitist PC nerds.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The comparisons with the Surface pro aren't entirely unjustified though as the target audience, while not the same, will experience a decent bit of overlap. 

Yeah, you have a point there.

I just feel like it's more similar to the high end Cintiq models than the Surface Pro, there's no doubt that the iPad Pro is aiming for a niche market not many people understand and it doesn't seem like Apple emphasised this enough during their presentation.

Because:

1) I don't care about 4K.

2) I don't care about Skyrim*

3) I don't care about wasting my time learning to mod Skyrim now.

4) I don't care about graphics, I only care about framerate and resolution, currently playing Fallout 3 GOTY without any mods and still looks awesome at 5K DSR 144FPS

*you posted a screenshot of Skyrim here, even though you don't care about it

You're all over the place with what you care about, mate.

You're all over the place with what you care about, mate.

but it doesn't matter, 980ti runs 4k easily, it doesn't matter if its high or medium they all look the same. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

but it doesn't matter, 980ti runs 4k easily, it doesn't matter if its high or medium they all look the same. 

I'd rather just have a 980ti and play nothing but Counter-Strike at 720p and watch my eff pee ess go off teh charts.

I'd rather just have a 980ti and play nothing but Counter-Strike at 720p and watch my eff pee ess go off teh charts.

Don't worry I play BF4 at 144FPS without a problem and CS:GO at 288FPS :P

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Add a 980Ti to any quad core based PC in the last 5 years and yep, you got yourself a 4K gaming PC.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU