iPad Surface Pro

GoodBytes

I'm sure as others have said that it'll be a decent product for some people. Just like how I understand the iPad and why that exists, especially at the price point. Same deal with all of the Android tablets on the market. Doesn't matter that they can't do all of the things because you're really just getting it to watch youtube clips and browse the 'net. Maybe play a match-3 puzzle game or something.

This? I don't understand. You're paying as much as you would for a fairly reasonable laptop. More than what the Surface Pro costs. And you can do less with it. The only reason I thought at any point that the Surface Pro was a good idea was because you could install Steam on it. Maybe play a few indie titles, do a bit of in-home streaming. Stuff that you can't do on a typical tablet. This thing? It's just a tablet. Same as all the other tablets. But bigger.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Next year are they going to have a iPad Pro Pro that uses a x64 chip and OSX instead of iOS? REVOLUTIONARY! 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Next year are they going to have a iPad Pro Pro that uses a x64 chip and OSX instead of iOS? REVOLUTIONARY! 

To be fair, it would be revolutionary, but only for Apple's mobile products.

IPad pro??

Yeah.... No thanks will get a surface instead if I wanted a tablet pm, he'll this thing it's screen is the same as my MBA retina that has a proper OS in it for the size of the thing.

On the stylus, jobs is rolling around in his grave right now.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I missed that part of the keynote but my guess is that it could do that thanks to a really beefy video decoding block. Laptops usually don't have that because there hasn't been any point in supporting that up until now. Encoding is probably done in hardware too.

You could probably do the same things (possibly even better) on some entry level Intel chips these days thanks to QuickSync. The vast majority of the 80% Apple claims to be faster than are probably really old chips though, and a lot of them are probably Atom processors in super cheap netbooks. So they won't support that.

I wish they would have compared the iPad against new products at similar price points instead of comparing it to my mom's old Celeron laptop that's like 8 years old and was half the price of this iPad Pro.

I think that 80% number would have been far lower if they did that.

Let's just wait for AnandTech for their review. Apple's A series chip and especially the AX series chip has been nothing short of impressive every year and I do believe the A9X is going to be killer chip (pretty sure its much more powerful than Core M anyways and maybe some i3s)

I watched the entire product reveal, and while I like some Apple products... I didn't really feel like there was anything revolutionary about all of their products revealed. 

I don't understand Apple's rationale right now

iPad pro? Same price point as Surface 3 which has a quad-core Atom processor running a full desktop operating system with support for native desktop applications...

EXCEPT:

iPad keyboard costs $170 and is NOT backlit, no trackpad.

Surface 3 and Pro 3 keyboards cost $130 but come backlit and with a trackpad.

Surface Pen = $50, comes free with Pro version.

Apple "pencil" = $100

Surface can natively run full Photoshop applications, and even install custom brushes and plugins anywhere on the internet.

iPad Pro can only run a locked-down version of Photoshop and cannot use custom files and plugins.

iPad is locked down to the App Store collection of small applications

Surface 3 and Pro 3 have a plethora of old and new desktop applications that will work and is much more power-user friendly.

EVEN SOMETHING SMALL LIKE WATCHING VIDEOS. iPad will need all videos that aren't in an iOS recognized format must be converted which takes too much time and energy.

Whereas you can install VLC on the Surface and go.

I don't think there's even a USB port. NEED I SAY MORE?

WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY IT.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Is apple genuinely running out of ideas now? Of all that event absolutely nothing was of interest or new.

Also; Of course it can render 3 4k videos at once. They just didnt add the bit where it takes a week for it to finish.

It doesn't run Windows, but the performance is at least on par (unless you're talking the $1K+ SP), and the pen will both be more useful w/ the pressure sensitivity, and the use for it will be more natural than in Windows, which is just an added layer on top. As with most things Apple does, this will be integrated deeper into the OS and apps, and though I'm not personally getting one, the iPad was already a great tool for drawing, so this will be a much better alternative to something like the Wacom styluses that only supported certain apps.

Of course he is talking about the $1K+ Surface Pro. That's how much the iPad Pro costs. In fact, the Surface Pro is cheaper than the iPad Pro once you get all accessories.

The iPad was not a great tool for drawing. You could doodle and you could sketch on it but that was about it. It was basically 1 step up from Mario Paint. The iPad Pro will be much better but the problem is that once you get into the 1K range you kind of need more than just a bigger iPad. The competitors are much better than that.

You can go on about how "it wasn't made for you" and "some people will think it is great for them" all you want, but in the end ~99% of people buying it would have been better off with a different device, and the last 1% is app developers who want to sell apps to the other 99%.

It just does not make any sense.

-snip-

EVEN SOMETHING SMALL LIKE WATCHING VIDEOS. iPad will need all videos that aren't in an iOS recognized format must be converted which takes too much time and energy.

Whereas you can install VLC on the Surface and go.

-snip-

I think there are third party video players that support a bunch of different formats on iOS, without having to convert them. The rest of your point are valid though.

They said it's the biggest tablet :/

The Yarvik Xenta c13 is a 13inch tablet

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

The Surface stylus has pressure sensitivity. Not the side sensors, but its been rumoured the SP4 stylus will, since Microsoft owns the company that patented it.

Also, the Surface is widely used for drawing bud: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3j7wsw/post_your_art_33/

1. Great, but hoping the SP4 will have it isn't good cover for it not having it.

2. It is, but the iPad is much more popular for the task, and apps are much smoother and more intuitive to use since, again, the touch layer is just on top of Windows. The iPad's touch is extremely low-latency (even more so with the Pro), and runs an OS fully built for it. I can appreciate the Surface's more useful amount of support, but the actual experience is, as usual, better on Apple's alternative, even if it does sacrifice raw compatibility.

snip

Again, people who buy the iPad Pro know what they want, and the Pro has it. I'm not saying the SP doesn't have better compatibility, but the UX isn't on par, and some people have the money to spend, and the desire to stick with Apple.

Holy shit. Apple went thicker (for a longer battery life, perhaps?)

Non.. I think its just apro thing to have things thin but still bigger than others because yours is bigger(and a pro) ... No pun intended

1. Great, but hoping the SP4 will have it isn't good cover for it not having it.

2. It is, but the iPad is much more popular for the task, and apps are much smoother and more intuitive to use since, again, the touch layer is just on top of Windows. The iPad's touch is extremely low-latency (even more so with the Pro), and runs an OS fully built for it. I can appreciate the Surface's more useful amount of support, but the actual experience is, as usual, better on Apple's alternative, even if it does sacrifice raw compatibility.

How can you say anything conclusive about the iPad Pro's touchscreen latency when it hasn't even been released yet? And you do realise that your entirely missing the fact that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are all designed for touch screens, with Windows 10 allowing you to switch between tablet and desktop mode.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They boast it can edit 4K videos when Edzels Quadro and Titan X rig can't even. Seems legit apple. Also 1 grand is too much but this thing is huge!

Of course his rig can, the machine in my Signature does so plenty.

Editing is easy, you could edit 4K on a $800 Dell laptop. It's the playback( reads & writes ),  rendering and exporting that's intensive, and even then Edzel's machine would have no issues at all bar it taking a while in some cases.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Update to this thread- it has been confirmed that the iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM

How can you say anything conclusive about the iPad Pro's touchscreen latency when it hasn't even been released yet? And you do realise that your entirely missing the fact that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are all designed for touch screens, with Windows 10 allowing you to switch between tablet and desktop mode.

Because my iPad 2's latency is already low for drawing apps, and Apple has stated this is even better, of course I can estimate that it'll be better.

That's ignoring the fact that the whole touch-reading layer of Windows is still added onto it's core foundation - they didn't completely recode Windows 8, and as such it's not 100% designed for it. iOS has been made specifically for touch input since day-one, which is why the latency is low. System resources are immediately directed to the touch sensors as soon as input is registered - Android suffered (at last until recently) from the same issue as Windows. It was never originally made for touch input, and as such wasn't as responsive until maybe KitKat.

I'm not saying it's not good, but it's not as good.

Because my iPad 2's latency is already low for drawing apps, and Apple has stated this is even better, of course I can estimate that it'll be better.

That's ignoring the fact that the whole touch-reading layer of Windows is still added onto it's core foundation - they didn't completely recode Windows 8, and as such it's not 100% designed for it. iOS has been made specifically for touch input since day-one, which is why the latency is low. System resources are immediately directed to the touch sensors as soon as input is registered - Android suffered (at last until recently) from the same issue as Windows. It was never originally made for touch input, and as such wasn't as responsive until maybe KitKat.

I'm not saying it's not good, but it's not as good.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 were all designed for touch screens from day 1. Have you been keeping up with anything other than Apple stuff over the last few years?

Edit: Have you ever used a Surface tablet BTW? And do you miss not having the ability to use your OSX apps on iOS? Because that's exactly what you get with the Surface-the ability to use any Windows program without having to resort to shitty mobile ports for ARM CPU that lack the functionality of the full program.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 were all designed for touch screens from day 1. Have you been keeping up with anything other than Apple stuff over the last few years?

Edit: Have you ever used a Surface tablet BTW? And do you miss not having the ability to use your OSX apps on iOS? Because that's exactly what you get with the Surface-the ability to use any Windows program without having to resort to shitty mobile ports for ARM CPU that lack the functionality of the full program.

1. I guess you didn't read my reply

2. Yes I have, my brother has a SP3 and its cool, but I'd rather have a laptop at that point instead of using a desktop OS on a tablet.

3. I don't know if you have used an iPad, but there are some FANTASTIC apps. I use Procreate every day (again, on my 2!), and the responsiveness is great. Having a bigger screen and pressure sensitivity (plus four speakers and the rest) would be pretty great, but I don't have the money to justify it. Photoshop on iPad is pretty great too.

My point is, the iPad isn't a computer. It's an in-between device, a more convenient production utility that doesn't need to run a desktop OS. I love mine for drawing and watching movies, two things I don't need a laptop for since I have a desktop, and I can't use my phone for comfortably.

If you can't accept this, I'm sorry you're that narrow-minded.

Okay, so it has 4GB RAM. That's competitive with the amount of RAM in the i5/128GB Surface. Too bad the rest of the device isn't. Rumor also has it Microsoft is increasing the maximum amount of RAM in the Pro 4 from 8GB to 16GB, so yeah. It's semi-competitive with the Pro 3, but if it's competitive at all with the Pro 4 has yet to be seen.

Most likely the Pro 4 will completely blow it out of the water.

Okay, so it has 4GB RAM. That's competitive with the amount of RAM in the i5/128GB Surface. Too bad the rest of the device isn't. Rumor also has it Microsoft is increasing the maximum amount of RAM in the Pro 4 from 8GB to 16GB, so yeah. It's semi-competitive with the Pro 3, but if it's competitive at all with the Pro 4 has yet to be seen.

Most likely the Pro 4 will completely blow it out of the water.

Apple products are not made to be competitive they are made just to scam all their fanboys.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Apple products are not made to be competitive they are made just to scam all their fanboys.

Well, this was clearly designed to attempt to compete with the Surface Pro. It failed to do so before it even launched, though.

Well, this was clearly designed to attempt to compete with the Surface Pro. It failed to do so before it even launched, though.

Why can't Apple just a product, let's say a smartphone with the same specs like everyone else, with their premium price of course.

I mean something like a Samsung S6 with the same specs only 100$ more expensive.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU