iPad Surface Pro

GoodBytes

AFAIK these prices are pretty competitive w/ the SP

Except that the device isn't.

Pretty much. The prices are competitive with the Surface, but the device itself isn't. No matter what, the Surface is a much better value for your money.

Except that the device isn't.

It doesn't run Windows, but the performance is at least on par (unless you're talking the $1K+ SP), and the pen will both be more useful w/ the pressure sensitivity, and the use for it will be more natural than in Windows, which is just an added layer on top. As with most things Apple does, this will be integrated deeper into the OS and apps, and though I'm not personally getting one, the iPad was already a great tool for drawing, so this will be a much better alternative to something like the Wacom styluses that only supported certain apps.

Runs iOS though, not OSX? So it's high powered tablet but not really a notebook replacement or anything like the Surface Pro touts.

Nice to see the Surface Pro show up first and watch Apple try to catch up for a change. Now let's see if Microsoft blows this thing out of the water in a month or two with the Surface Pro 4 (hopefully) announcement.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Before my response starts a war, I want to point something out.

People who already have a use for an iPad as an art / entertainment device will like this. Personally I still use my 2 for drawing and casual movie watching. Yes, it lasted that long (and since 2011 still has the latest OS)

If you never liked iPads and revel in crushing Apple's decisions under your boot, then why even come here? We get it, it's a 'big iPad,' just like how the iPad was a 'big iPhone.' Obviously it's not for you, but some people will get some real use out of it. Apple's not dumb, they know what their audience wants and clearly is doing better than MS/Android tablet makers.

Runs iOS though, not OSX? So it's high powered tablet but not really a notebook replacement or anything like the Surface Pro touts.

Nice to see the Surface Pro show up first and watch Apple try to catch up for a change. Now let's see if Microsoft blows this thing out of the water in a month or two with the Surface Pro 4 (hopefully) announcement.

I was surprised by this too, but them finally adding split-screen multitasking in iOS 9 for iPads and now adding four(!) speakers and that insane display means this is more of a creative hub than a full laptop replacement. It's still an iPad, but designed for those who survived on an iPad all along, yet wished they could get a bit more professional use out of it.

now how much ram and cpu cores does this thing have

Its got an ARM based CPU and the iPhone 6s only has 2GB of RAM so....there is that to go off.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Before my response starts a war, I want to point something out.

People who already have a use for an iPad as an art / entertainment device will like this. Personally I still use my 2 for drawing and casual movie watching. Yes, it lasted that long (and since 2011 still has the latest OS)

If you never liked iPads and revel in crushing Apple's decisions under your boot, then why even come here? We get it, it's a 'big iPad,' just like how the iPad was a 'big iPhone.' Obviously it's not for you, but some people will get some real use out of it. Apple's not dumb, they know what their audience wants and clearly is doing better than MS/Android tablet makers.

Because honestly this isn't about a logical discussion.  It's about hating on Apple because that's what we should do as the PC Master Race or whatever. People tend to forget a product is not being specifically designed for them and that business are typically figuring out how to move as much volume as possible. You're right this product isn't for some or most people, but there is obviously a market for it as there are other products out there that are very similar that sell enough for smaller manufacturers to produce.

Back when I worked for an electronics store I used to always tell new people the same thing. It's not about what product you think is best, it's about what product you think is best for the customer.  It doesn't matter that the Surface Pro 3 and the upcoming Pro 4 are better pieces of hardware. The average user will probably be able to do more with the iPad Pro simply because Apple has never made itself about having all the options, it's all about having something works, and works reliably.

As an example, I am particularly fond of Arch Linux for an OS. It does all the things I want it to do when I want it to do it. It doesn't do things I don't want it to do when I don't want it to do it. It is can be completely customized to all of my needs. To my mother it might as well be written in an extinct language no one knows anymore. No matter how amazing it is to me, it's absolutely useless to her. Her iPhone fills all of her needs.  It's easy to set up, it's easy to use. It doesn't break. I don't get random phone calls while I'm at work because she can't figure out to do the thing with thing on her phone. It's a wining situation for everyone.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Because honestly this isn't about a logical discussion.  It's about hating on Apple because that's what we should do as the PC Master Race or whatever. People tend to forget a product is not being specifically designed for them and that business are typically figuring out how to move as much volume as possible. You're right this product isn't for some or most people, but there is obviously a market for it as there are other products out there that are very similar that sell enough for smaller manufacturers to produce.

Back when I worked for an electronics store I used to always tell new people the same thing. It's not about what product you think is best, it's about what product you think is best for the customer.  It doesn't matter that the Surface Pro 3 and the upcoming Pro 4 are better pieces of hardware. The average user will probably be able to do more with the iPad Pro simply because Apple has never made itself about having all the options, it's all about having something works, and works reliably.

As an example, I am particularly fond of Arch Linux for an OS. It does all the things I want it to do when I want it to do it. It doesn't do things I don't want it to do when I don't want it to do it. It is can be completely customized to all of my needs. To my mother it might as well be written in an extinct language no one knows anymore. No matter how amazing it is to me, it's absolutely useless to her. Her iPhone fills all of her needs.  It's easy to set up, it's easy to use. It doesn't break. I don't get random phone calls while I'm at work because she can't figure out to do the thing with thing on her phone. It's a wining situation for everyone.

I thought no one on this site would get it.

You're exactly right. Hating on a product that isn't what you personally would spend money on doesn't mean anything.

As an example, I tend to hate on Android, but since I've used it extensively and completely grasp how to use it, I'm a bit more educated on why I like iOS over it, as opposed to complaining about a product announced a few hours ago that I won't see in person for a month, based purely on principle.

On the Surface Pro, the pen acts like a mouse. So the pen is perfectly usable anywhere.

All drawing software are compatible with the Surface Pro. Microsoft even makes WinTab drivers available which will give you support for even aged old software.

ONE hundred dollars for a STYLUS!?

I feel i needed to add a Jobs quote all the way from 2010

(Steve Jobs) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it - Iphone OS4 Event Q&A

Apple still ripping people off since forever and stealing all the glory

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

With the Surface Pro the open act like a mouse with non compatible software.Plus Microsoft makes available WinTab drivers for compatibility with Wacom specific programs (even though the pen is N-Trig), and compatible with the oldest drawing software.

In addition, you have the super popular music composing program Sibelius compatible with the Surface line.

Because Apple. 

More or less. Will it sell well? Absolutely. Will it make sense for 90% of the population it sells to? Hell no. I'd wager it makes sense to no one, given the Surface Pro 3 existing and any professional and business related app works off Windows anyways... 

If apple really wanted to make this viable, they should pitch it to accountants who use software thats Windows only, and get that software into OSX/iOS friendly forms. 

the surface 4 is supposed to release in October anyway. It will come with a full fledged windows 10, Skylake cpu, etc... The claim by Apple that that chip is faster then 80% of laptops is kinda bonkers.

the surface 4 is supposed to release in October anyway.

And that'll probably steal any thunder the iPad Pro had.

The iPad Pro will probably sell anyway because Apple, but the Surface is the objectively superior product, especially for the money you're paying.

I feel a lawsuit coming soon...

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

It doesn't run Windows, but the performance is at least on par (unless you're talking the $1K+ SP), and the pen will both be more useful w/ the pressure sensitivity, and the use for it will be more natural than in Windows, which is just an added layer on top. As with most things Apple does, this will be integrated deeper into the OS and apps, and though I'm not personally getting one, the iPad was already a great tool for drawing, so this will be a much better alternative to something like the Wacom styluses that only supported certain apps.

The Surface stylus has pressure sensitivity. Not the side sensors, but its been rumoured the SP4 stylus will, since Microsoft owns the company that patented it.

Also, the Surface is widely used for drawing bud: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3j7wsw/post_your_art_33/

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

ONE hundred dollars for a STYLUS!?

I feel i needed to add a Jobs quote all the way from 2010

(Steve Jobs) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it - Iphone OS4 Event Q&A

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-5PT-00012-Surface-Pro-Pen/dp/B00FG7N3F6

Wow, thats not only the old stylus, but its also sold by a third party on Amazon... The actual current stylus is $50.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

Hehe. Did you try finding the most expensive place to get a Microsoft Surface Pro pen? :P

Microsoft very own store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pen/productID.314885900

You also get 10% off the device and accessories if you are a student.

What I find funny is that NOW the Surface 3 and Pro 3 suddenly looks more affordable, and the fact that the Pro model comes with the pen, and assuming you get the non Pro one, the pen is only 50$.

$1k for a 128GB iPad Pro that's restricted to iPad apps or $1k a full blown PC with 8GB ram and 256GB SSD. Not a very difficult decision..

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Hehe. Did you try finding the most expensive place to get a Microsoft Surface Pro pen? :P

Microsoft very own store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pen/productID.314885900

You also get 10% off the device and accessories if you are a student.

I was trying to find it on Microsoft's store but kept getting lost because I'm at work and logged into the partner pricing portal..