Am I Bottlenecking My Setup?

I am seeing lower frame rates than expected. I have a 180hz monitor and a 144hz monitor configured into a 2 monitor display. I usually am never utilizing 100% of either CPU or GPU, usually resting around 40% CPU usage and 60-80% GPU usage. I have tried to OC my CPU, with no difference in performance. If some of you do think I am bottlenecking, I would very much appreciate if you could tell me how to solve the issue and/or provide combinations of CPUs/Motherboards that would work with my setup. I do not mind changing sockets if it is what needs to be done to optimize my performance at this point. I just want a smooth experience. Thank you all!

Computer Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B550-Plus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB VRAM

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series (Intel XMP) DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MT/s CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Desktop Computer Memory UDIMM

SSD: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

Power Supply: EVGA 1000w+

1. What games are we talking about?
  2. What is your resolution?

1 minute ago, ARandomPerson said:
  1. What games are we talking about?
  2. What is your resolution?

1. Escape From Tarkov, Helldivers 2, Hell Let Loose, Squad, and many more. Name it, I've probably tried it. 
2. I'm playing at 1920x1080 on my 180hz monitor.

What framerates are you getting in those games? Or is it stuttering? Wondering as you said you wanted it more smooth. If there was something wrong, I would expect a larger discrepancy between the CPU and GPU. 

Don't go chasing bottlenecks. What the bottleneck is will change depending on the application, it's impossible to build a PC that has no bottleneck except for in a single task. Some games have lower graphics and use less of the GPU, some have heavy physics and use more of the CPU, some have heavy graphics and use a lot of the GPU. 

You have a balanced build. In the case you reported, it sounds like the CPU is slightly bottlenecking the GPU, but with the GPU hitting 80% load there isn't that much FPS to gain from a CPU upgrade unless you also lower graphics settings or upgrade the GPU as well. And a 5900X is very capable, you would spend a lot of money on not that much gain. 

Just to make it very clear, you have a good build. I would not upgrade for a good while. 

If you think it's strange with a CPU bottleneck when the CPU is at 40% load, most games can't use as many threads as your CPU has. Your CPU has 24 threads (Two threads per core) and most games use 4-8 threads. So if a game can only use 8 threads, 33% load is the most you would see on that CPU (+5-10% for background tasks, more for active tasks like video streaming). And this is how the game is made, there is nothing you can do to make a game use more threads. 

21 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

What framerates are you getting in those games? Or is it stuttering? Wondering as you said you wanted it more smooth. If there was something wrong, I would expect a larger discrepancy between the CPU and GPU. 

Don't go chasing bottlenecks. What the bottleneck is will change depending on the application, it's impossible to build a PC that has no bottleneck except for in a single task. Some games have lower graphics and use less of the GPU, some have heavy physics and use more of the CPU, some have heavy graphics and use a lot of the GPU. 

You have a balanced build. In the case you reported, it sounds like the CPU is slightly bottlenecking the GPU, but with the GPU hitting 80% load there isn't that much FPS to gain from a CPU upgrade unless you also lower graphics settings or upgrade the GPU as well. And a 5900X is very capable, you would spend a lot of money on not that much gain. 

Just to make it very clear, you have a good build. I would not upgrade for a good while. 

If you think it's strange with a CPU bottleneck when the CPU is at 40% load, most games can't use as many threads as your CPU has. Your CPU has 24 threads (Two threads per core) and most games use 4-8 threads. So if a game can only use 8 threads, 33% load is the most you would see on that CPU (+5-10% for background tasks, more for active tasks like video streaming). And this is how the game is made, there is nothing you can do to make a game use more threads. 

This was a very insightful and diligent reply, thank you so much! If you think I do not need to change things up with my build, then I wont. I was/am just confused on why my games are running "poorly". I am usually struggling to get a stable 72 fps on most games. I usually run Escape From Tarkov, Helldivers 2, Hell Let Loose, Squad, and many more. Name it, I've probably tried it. In these cases, settings usually don't matter when it comes to the performance I receive. I'm thinking of giving my PC a clean wipe and just reinstall windows, because if it's not a hardware issue, then it's likely something to do with software.

23 hours ago, DipwadDeluxe said:

I usually run Escape From Tarkov, Helldivers 2, Hell Let Loose, Squad, and many more.

I'm only familiar with Helldivers out of those and that has had some driver issues with Nvidia. Make sure you are on the latest update. In Helldivers, the CPU should be able to do 80-120 FPS depending on the area (I get the least FPS on the ship for some reason) as long as the GPU isn't maxed. If the GPU is maxed, it's going to depend on the settings you are using what framerate you should get. 

At 1080p you are far more likely to run into CPU bottleneck than GPU one. Your utilization numbers basically confirm it. At 1440p you should be getting around 80-90FPS with that 5900X. The only way to improve the 1080p numbers , especially the 1% and 0.1% lows is to get a 5800X3D. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

24 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

At 1080p you are far more likely to run into CPU bottleneck than GPU one. Your utilization numbers basically confirm it. At 1440p you should be getting around 80-90FPS with that 5900X. The only way to improve the 1080p numbers , especially the 1% and 0.1% lows is to get a 5800X3D. 

Agree with this. 

Does the 5900X have one or two CCD die modules? I think it has 2 and that would impact game performance. 

I would sell it and get the 5800X3D if the system is only for gaming.