Nintendo patents games console that has no optical drive

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-patents-games-console-that-has-no-optical-drive-1631940/

Patent: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20150231511&OS=20150231511&RS=20150231511

Nintendo loves their risky business, but unlike the movie, this new idea has the potential to not do so well. In a US patent filing made back in February, Nintendo outlined a new console that won't have any kind of optical drive. It gets better. The new console won't have any kind of drive at all. No cartridges, no optical media, etc. Nothing. So is this the Nintendo NX? It's not official yet, but it more than likely is. 

Remember the PSPGo? I hope Nintendo does, because if so they know that they're making a huge mistake. The console landscape is not like smartphones, for example, where you can get away with not having media drives (nor could you, realistically, on a smartphone). You almost need that media drive, as do most consumers due to data caps, slow speeds, etc.

Nintendo_patent_NX_01.jpg

Let's end on this note from the Geek.com article:

A patent does not mean something is definitely going to happen, but Nintendo is certainly the most radical of the three main games console manufacturers (motion controls, anyone?). If the NX arrives without a disc drive, we shouldn’t be too surprised, but at the same time Nintendo could be setting itself up for a console that manages to sell fewer units than the Wii U.

I hope that Nintendo includes some kind of media drive with whatever console this is, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

COMIC SANS

oh

nothing will work if there are shitty isp's but oh well

Seems dumb, unless they're doing some sort of sd card games now? Most people do not have their wiis connected to internet, or downloading is an issue. Seems like a dumb thing so far, but that could change.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Lol, so my Original Xbox will offically be a better console than the one Nintendo appears to be working on. Nice.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Finally a potential dumb move that could bury them. Unfortunately, just with the rights from Mario, Nintendo can survive for at least another 10 years :<

Them greedy feckers need to either get their shazbot straight or just die off.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

661.gif

Nintendo......just stop.

Seriously....just stop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lol, so my Original Xbox will offically be a better console than the one Nintendo appears to be working on. Nice.

Well if it still follows the original idea of plug and play then i might buy it...

Wii U is a great console, just never had the funds to buy it.....

The patent isn't about hardware, it's about a system for a device that has an SSD and a HDD. One that works out which of the different storage media is faster and then moves the content it wants to run faster to that media based on some undefined system. Effectively what they're talking about is an SSD cache. But a version of it that's smart enough to measure the speed of an external disk and decide whether games should be stored on that instead of the internal one. For example if you plug in an SSD into the back of the console. Also there's this bit....

The game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment has a compatibility with another game apparatus on which an optical disk drive capable of reading out a game program from an optical disk is mounted. In other words, it is possible for the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment to execute the same game program as another game apparatus on which an optical disk drive is mounted. The same interface as that of the optical disk drive mounted on another compatible game apparatus is employed for the interface of the internal HDD 13 in the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment. 

Effectively, they've said that the patent would also apply to a console that has an optical drive. This is just a way for them to cover both options. And anyways, who's PC has an optical drive? I don't see how that would be a bad thing. Please lets move away from disks on every gaming platform!

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Eh optical disc are on the way out (unfortunate for those with slower internet speeds (such as myself) and those with data caps (which I fortunately do not have.))

I however figure that I'll have a file server that will be able to handle downloading and uploading things that would otherwise occupy another more useful system.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

So now we have patents from just removing Shit from products? Goddam this is getting retarded.

It seems like big companies can patent anything. 

Patents? For that?!

This world is on the verge of going full retard.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Why are people complaining about this, people wanted the xbone and ps4 to be drive less and they still want the slim versions to be.... You know what would fix this, a certified external optical drive. Sure it would be over priced but it would give people that as many of you know live in countries with 3rd world internet infrastructure *cough* Australia *cough* a viable option.

Nintendo has made it pretty freaking clear that they are not interested in selling Madden or Call of Duty, they're interested in selling their hardware and their software. Mario Kart 8 was a 5GB download for the Wii U, 3D world was 1.7GB; the vast majority of Nintendo's library is under 5GB, which is accessible to the majority of people from a download speed/bandwidth cap perspective.

If Nintendo can sell their console for $150, games for $20-40 at launch and reduced to $10-$20 after the first 6 months to a year and the price you pay is having to download the games, then it's probably a fair trade for most people. They seem to be gearing up to launch the equivalent of a Roku player that can play fully fledged games.

Why are people complaining about this, people wanted the xbone and ps4 to be drive less and they still want the slim versions to be.... You know what would fix this, a certified external optical drive. Sure it would be over priced but it would give people that as many of you know live in countries with 3rd world internet infrastructure *cough* Australia *cough* a viable option.

1. If you own a game on disc you physically own it and if servers go down you can install it (unless its only the 'starter' disc for installation)

2. Once a game is on a HDD, its loads a lot faster than any optical media or off the internet

3. A lot of people have shitty internet that won't be getting better for years if at all.

PMSL

1. If you own a game on disc you physically own it and if servers go down you can install it (unless its only the 'starter' disc for installation)

2. Once a game is on a HDD, its loads a lot faster than any optical media or off the internet

3. A lot of people have shitty internet that won't be getting better for years if at all.

3 is like me. The isp here with fiber will never bring it down my road. Thus I am stuck with a shitty isp that is scamming the shit out of me giving me .2-.8/.05-.5 with ping from 32ms to 900 ms on 50 mile servers... I pay for 3/1 and they said the ping shouldn't pass 50 ms to any 50 mile server. Bull fucking shit

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Optical died in 2011 and the only people who still are tied to them are the bottom-tier consumers like casual Brad from accounting.

About time. And with the optical drives going, Hollywood will have one less tool in its crusade againt human decency.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

i like this idea since this was how i used my wii back when i actualy played the wii... i modded it and then put all the games on a hdd and played off that and it was sooooo much better than swaping disc to play games... like disc are stupid and should die... if anything id rather see them bring back cartidiges since they were faster and with how fast flash is these days they be much faster and hold much much larger games... onyl wiht a small in convinece of maybe blowing dust out of the slot but id take that over better performance and load times.

3 is like me. The isp here with fiber will never bring it down my road. Thus I am stuck with a shitty isp that is scamming the shit out of me giving me .2-.8/.05-.5 with ping from 32ms to 900 ms on 50 mile servers... I pay for 3/1 and they said the ping shouldn't pass 50 ms to any 50 mile server. Bull fucking shit

My internet isn't that bad (I'm luckily in a growth area and Telstra actually sort of pays attention to the network), however 1.5MB/s peak is not fast enough to download any game quickly much less load it from an internet based server.

PMSL

My internet isn't that bad (I'm luckily in a growth area and Telstra actually sort of pays attention to the network), however 1.5MB/s peak is not fast enough to download any game quickly much less load it from an internet based server.

I have to deal with 20KB/s-320KB/s...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Optical died in 2011 and the only people who still are tied to them are the bottom-tier consumers like casual Brad from accounting.

About time. And with the optical drives going, Hollywood will have one less tool in its crusade againt human decency.

Are you stupid?

Lot's of people still use optical, me included. (not salty because of that btw)

Not everyone has good internet to download games etc.

Physical hasn't died. It probably won't for a while. Whether it's in the form of optical, or something else (USB, etc).

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I have to deal with 20KB/s-320KB/s...

Either way, the internet is shit in too many places for any internet based console to be sucessful.

PMSL

1. Im the guy who still has a dvd drive in there computer, also the guy who pre orders games and likes limited edition cases etc

2. I know

3. I live in Australia.....

You have clearly taken my comment the wrong way.

I'm the guy who owns a lot of CDs/DVDs/Games on disk that i don't want to lose..........

No download on the disks, just insert and play.

I'm stuck on 860KB/s download, i'm even lucky to get 900 KB/s or higher. 

Just to be clear, this is why my Original Xbox is better than the apparently planned console, and indeed everything after the PS3/Xbox 360 (which are are barely better):
post-155575-0-60795600-1440488438_thumb.

post-155575-0-55607500-1440488508_thumb.

post-155575-0-86047600-1440488658_thumb.

Note, 48 games on a single partition of a 250GB HDD, and its possible to install HDD up to 2TB. Beat that plug-and-play convenience newer consoles.

post-155575-0-60795600-1440488438_thumb.

post-155575-0-55607500-1440488508_thumb.

post-155575-0-86047600-1440488658_thumb.

PMSL