Nintendo patents games console that has no optical drive

TopWargamer

Guys, it's a patent. If the cops were on the TV talking about this they'd speak like this:

"This is a patent for a console of the stationary nature with an internal storage mechanism. It is for a device that lacks or includes an optical drive. One that has a HDD and some non-volatile storage or not. With the option to attach or not attach an external disk or memory card."

so.... pretty much any home console ever made

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

So now we have patents from just removing Shit from products? Goddam this is getting retarded.

I am going to patent a game console where every single component is removed.... beat that 

I could sue everybody

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Are you stupid?

Lot's of people still use optical, me included. (not salty because of that btw)

Not everyone has good internet to download games etc.

Physical hasn't died. It probably won't for a while. Whether it's in the form of optical, or something else (USB, etc).

wooopie do.  its dying get over it. if you think sony and ms are not waiting to do this then you are the one who is stupid, ms already tried to phase it out with the xbone. 

knock knock

who is it 

the future its time to move on

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Lot's of people still use optical, me included. (not salty because of that btw)

Not everyone has good internet to download games etc.

I'm stupid? I'm not the one in dire need of a spell checker.

That swiftly brushed aside, As of 2011 every TV (not just smart ones) have had USB ports and mkv/mp4 capability as well as every motherboard being able to boot from USB and install an OS without a disc. Furthermore, you can't even play a Blu-ray just because you bought an optical drive for your PC, blu-rays you own will still be DRM'd to only play using cartel-approved paid software.

So in essence, optical is dead anywhere decent internet is found. Would 'dying' have been a more pleasing word to you? That's not accurate either, because optical was 'dying' back in 2003, but 2008-2011 was the death blow. That's where optical took a deep plummet into insignificance.

So while it's not buried (countries with third world internet such as USA still catching up) it's certainly dead. Though of course, there will be people unwilling to give it up but that's to be expected. And they are good marks for the Hollywood swindlers who want to double-dip on income.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Despite what the article says, the patent seems to imply that there will be multiple SKUs, one with an optical drive and one without:

13. The stationary game apparatus according to claim 1, wherein the game apparatus is compatible with another game apparatus comprising an optical disk drive for reading out a program and/or data from an optical disk, and a processor for executing the program read out from the optical disk to perform game processing, and an interface for the hard disk drive is same as an interface for the optical disk drive in said another game apparatus.

I like this idea because my internet at home doesn't suck?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If Xbox One Mini hets released w/o an optical drive and Nintendo does this as well, Sony is gonna get even higher sales, you can bet on that. Maybe not by a lot, but I know many people who want a drive for few more years, myself included.

It may be dying, bit I still have it in every PC that I own, it saves me from time to time. This may work for some, but I don't like this change (yet). For instance, do you know how many (read: few) games are on PSN here? It's dumb. I have to register my address to US or somewhere else, and even then I used to get some problems. I still like having a physical copy of the games that I buy, and I like buying physical CE's for some games and I don't plan on buying them again as a dl version.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

This is a bold move, but also the right move. 

For most of Europe, this won't be any problem, other than for people not trusting buying things digitally. But for North and South America, this won't work. 

But, you forget, it might be possible that they will sell the games on memory-cards or USB sticks. This supposed console supports both. So there can still be physical media. But most likely more expensive, and limited (perhaps not that limited in areas with known slow internet speeds). 

I love the easiness of digital games on consoles. I own 3 physical Wii U games, but I don't think I'll ever do that again. Depends on price, and if I get around buying a cabinet for my old SSD so I can use it with the Wii U (The one I have gets power through a Y-cabel. And of course it wasn't one of those that works with Wii U). 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Despite what the article says, the patent seems to imply that there will be multiple SKUs, one with an optical drive and one without:

Probably because the patent doesn't appear to be about the hardware at all ;) 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Just to be clear, this is why my Original Xbox is better than the apparently planned console, and indeed everything after the PS3/Xbox 360 (which are are barely better):

attachicon.gifDSC01671.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01675.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01676.JPG

Note, 48 games on a single partition of a 250GB HDD, and its possible to install HDD up to 2TB. Beat that plug-and-play convenience newer consoles.

LOL i have made that for my PS2 it had browser, could open movies, music, pictures, could transfer data from one usb flash drive to second and could run games from usb drive or usb external HDD. this system was written in memory card. 

i did this when my PS2s dvd reader died :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

LOL i have made that for my PS2 it had browser, could open movies, music, pictures, could transfer data from one usb flash drive to second and could run games from usb drive or usb external HDD. this system was written in memory card. 

i did this when my PS2s dvd reader died :D

I can do the same things as well on my Xbox. I haven't gotten a mouse working on it however unlike my keyboards :(

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And anyways, who's PC has an optical drive?

I have a blu-ray drive, its pretty good for ripping dvds. And I still have a few disks lying around so its always useful having an optical drive handy.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

The patent isn't about hardware, it's about a system for a device that has an SSD and a HDD. One that works out which of the different storage media is faster and then moves the content it wants to run faster to that media based on some undefined system. Effectively what they're talking about is an SSD cache. But a version of it that's smart enough to measure the speed of an external disk and decide whether games should be stored on that instead of the internal one. For example if you plug in an SSD into the back of the console. Also there's this bit....

Effectively, they've said that the patent would also apply to a console that has an optical drive. This is just a way for them to cover both options. And anyways, who's PC has an optical drive? I don't see how that would be a bad thing. Please lets move away from disks on every gaming platform!

ive got an optical drive xD. blu ray actually.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

I like the acceleration idea behind this.

On all the stuff of replacing physical with digital:

A midway would be better, like games on USB sticks/flash mem cards, better storage and usefull after installing if you format it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

USB thumb drives may be used maybe?

| Case:  NZXT H440 White| Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I| CPU: Intel core i7 4770k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60  | Graphics Card: EVGA 780ti Classified| SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and 500gb | HDD: WD Black 2tb| RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb| PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Monitor: LG 34UM95| Keyboard: Logitech G15 | Mouse: Razer Mamba| Audio: HyperX Cloud |

Does Nintendo think everyone has a Japanese grade internet connection or something? If this were to become a future product, it would bomb in places like America and Australia because the average internet connection is horrid.

I have a decent Internet connection but my ps4 still downloads games insanely slow (downloaded drive club right now shoes 20 hours) and idk why I heard it might be sonys servers or the ps4s horrible WiFi

This actually backs up the theory that the NX is a possible Android based system. Remember its been called a new Platform and NOT a successor to Wii U or 3DS. People seem to think it is but the more I think about it seems the NX will be a platform to play Nintendo mobile titles without  a mobile device like the Shield Console basically.

Edit: I think anyone hoping for NX to be a full fledged console will be very disappointed. Look at how its being talked about, the words used, as mention they are calling it a new platform. People for some reason are thinking of it as the Wii U successor but that has not been proven. All the rumour point to a new platform that will be discussed and maybe released in 2016.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I think it's been like 5 years since I used an optical drive. I have no problem with this if they use the saved money to make a console with actually decent hardware.

If this ushers in consoles going full digital like Steam (meaning cheaper prices and death to Gamestop trade-ins) then so be it.

I think consoles are partially there.  Xbone and PS4 have been advertising sales in their digital stores a lot lately.  If Nintendo can make it mainstream by having cheaper hardware and cheap full games all the time (think Steam Sales) then l'm all for it.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I'm stupid? I'm not the one in dire need of a spell checker.

That swiftly brushed aside, As of 2011 every TV (not just smart ones) have had USB ports and mkv/mp4 capability as well as every motherboard being able to boot from USB and install an OS without a disc. Furthermore, you can't even play a Blu-ray just because you bought an optical drive for your PC, blu-rays you own will still be DRM'd to only play using cartel-approved paid software.

So in essence, optical is dead anywhere decent internet is found. Would 'dying' have been a more pleasing word to you? That's not accurate either, because optical was 'dying' back in 2003, but 2008-2011 was the death blow. That's where optical took a deep plummet into insignificance.

So while it's not buried (countries with third world internet such as USA still catching up) it's certainly dead. Though of course, there will be people unwilling to give it up but that's to be expected. And they are good marks for the Hollywood swindlers who want to double-dip on income.

You seem to be stuck on optical.

I'm just talking about hard copies in general.

I think Microsoft has gone in the right direction selling physical copies of windows via USB. I will agree that optical getting to the point where it's not used much anymore.

But physical copies of things are still important. Mainly for reliability and for places that have internet that's too bad to download online games, but not too bad to play them at decent ping.

I know some people have much worse, but for me here it takes me a day to download a 60GB game. A whole day in which the 3 other people in my house can barely, if at all, use the internet I know this isn't the case for a lot of people, but it also is the case for a great amount as well.

USB is obviously the physical copy of the future. At least, as far as I can predict now.

And give me a break about spelling, typed that when I was half asleep :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Funny. This forum explodes whenever anyone suggests putting an optical drive in a PC because Steam is good enough for everything and what are datacaps, but as soon as nintendo does this you guys are losing your shit over it?

This wouldn't have come without analysis. Nintendo would have looked at how much of their business involves discs and how much involves their online store and probably reached the conclusion that the Wii and Wii U both did much better through digital downloads. Especially given only North America and patches of Europe have such issues with ISPs. The market Nintendo actually cares about -- Japan -- doesn't have any such problem.

Funny. This forum explodes whenever anyone suggests putting an optical drive in a PC because Steam is good enough for everything and what are datacaps, but as soon as nintendo does this you guys are losing your shit over it?

This wouldn't have come without analysis. Nintendo would have looked at how much of their business involves discs and how much involves their online store and probably reached the conclusion that the Wii and Wii U both did much better through digital downloads. Especially given only North America and patches of Europe have such issues with ISPs. The market Nintendo actually cares about -- Japan -- doesn't have any such problem.

I wonder what people would think when they realise that I still reckon FDD are still quite useful-except for the fact that I can't get PCIe or even PCI adapter for the FDD or my ISA controller card (and no I don't want to use a USB version when I've got so many working FDD)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It does have an sd card slot though, I wonder if they're going to distribute on those like on the DS line.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*