Nintendo patents games console that has no optical drive

TopWargamer

I wonder what people would think when they realise that I still reckon FDD are still quite useful-except for the fact that I can't get PCIe or even PCI adapter for the FDD or my ISA controller card (and no I don't want to use a USB version when I've got so many working FDD)

I would question what exactly for :P

Funny. This forum explodes whenever anyone suggests putting an optical drive in a PC because Steam is good enough for everything and what are datacaps, but as soon as nintendo does this you guys are losing your shit over it?

This wouldn't have come without analysis. Nintendo would have looked at how much of their business involves discs and how much involves their online store and probably reached the conclusion that the Wii and Wii U both did much better through digital downloads. Especially given only North America and patches of Europe have such issues with ISPs. The market Nintendo actually cares about -- Japan -- doesn't have any such problem.

If you're building a PC we're implying that you've got enough internet bandwidth to download or at least buy games off of *insert service here*.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I would question what exactly for :P

Dos games, drivers, and VM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If you're building a PC we're implying that you've got enough internet bandwidth to download or at least buy games off of *insert service here*.

It doesn't require bandwidth to build a PC. That's an odd connection to make considering both consoles and PC have supported both digital distribution and discs for some time now. Most people on this forum have come to the same conclusion as Nintendo here and they live in countries with piss poor internet quality. Nintendo doesn't.

Dos games, drivers, and VM.

You keep them on floppies? I'd transfer them to something faster, bigger and more durable.

It doesn't require bandwidth to build a PC. That's an odd connection to make considering both consoles and PC have supported both digital distribution and discs for some time now. Most people on this forum have come to the same conclusion as Nintendo here and they live in countries with piss poor internet quality. Nintendo doesn't.

I kinda meant moreso as to downloading games, which many PC gamers... do.

I personally like running games from disc.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You keep them on floppies? I'd transfer them to something faster, bigger and more durable.

My floppies have been around since the early 80's without degradation...so no.

PMSL

My floppies have been around since the early 80's without degradation...so no.

I wasn't talking about degrating, I was talking about physical fragility.

I kinda meant moreso as to downloading games, which many PC gamers... do.

I personally like running games from disc.

I use both. I use both because while my Internet connection is decent now it hasn't always been, and often the disc version is cheap. However if you look at the general conversations on forums we seem to be the minority. I think it's funny how up in arms people are about Nintendo doing something that the PC community has been shouting about for years now.

I wasn't talking about degrating, I was talking about physical fragility.

I use both. I use both because while my Internet connection is decent now it hasn't always been, and often the disc version is cheap. However if you look at the general conversations on forums we seem to be the minority. I think it's funny how up in arms people are about Nintendo doing something that the PC community has been shouting about for years now.

They've also outlasted several CD that died from scratches.

PMSL

Finally a potential dumb move that could bury them. Unfortunately, just with the rights from Mario, Nintendo can survive for at least another 10 years :<

Them greedy feckers need to either get their shazbot straight or just die off.

what?

This is cool. I don't see it as a problem. People uses Streaming services like Spotify, Netflix, gets games (which all the big ones have near game size updates the moment you install them from disk), or buy their games on Steam. Not to mention YpuTube, and the fact that YouTube switches automatically to 1080p 60fps... with no choice to access the 30fps version, unless you force YouTube to use Flash which mean you need a browser extension to say that the web browser doesn't support HTML5.

If you have a bandwidth limit, ISPs need to adapt, if they don't, people will push govermental action, and that means big laws, including the potential of unlimited access which fighting this will cost a lot more than boosting it

This is cool. I don't see it as a problem. People uses Streaming services like Spotify, Netflix, gets games (which all the big ones have near game size updates the moment you install them from disk), or buy their games on Steam. Not to mention YpuTube, and the fact that YouTube switches automatically to 1080p 60fps... with no choice to access the 30fps version, unless you force YouTube to use Flash which mean you need a browser extension to say that the web browser doesn't support HTML5.

If you have a bandwidth limit, ISPs need to adapt, if they don't, people will push govermental action, and that means big laws, including the potential of unlimited access which fighting this will cost a lot more than boosting it

Its not bandwidth limits, its ISP refusing to upgrade their networks despite very large profits, meaning that even if you have no data cap, your internet isn't actually fast enough to take full advantage.

PMSL

This news may be out of date as of now, however here's an article from 2013 about the Wii U, 3DS and online:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/25/80-percent-of-wii-u-console-are-connected-to-the-internet/

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has revealed that 80 percent of the 3.45 million Wii U consoles worldwide are now connected to the internet. Iwata says this is the highest amount achieved for a Nintendo console [....] Satoru Iwata also revealed just how many Nintendo 3DS console are connected to the internet.  Iwata says that Japan has the highest connected with 87 percent of users connected online. The United States isn’t too far behind with 83 percent, but the ratios are rising in both regions, he said. However, Europe’s net-connected ratio stands at 57 percent, and though it is higher than before, it “leaves much to be improved.”

I mean it makes sense, even on Nintendo's system it's kinda hard to enjoy the content as much without online. Especially with games like Splatoon. And whether this suggests a jump to digital only or not, someone has to jump first. At least make moves to encourage digital first. I don't think it's as disastrous a move as people are suggesting.

With that said... as a Wii U owner I still get about half of my games on disk. Because stores regularly charge less than the RRP and they are constantly bundling stuff with their games. Like Amiibos. As someone with Australian internets? The bandwidth isn't a big deal. The only time I've had an issue with it recently and got the game on disk because of it? GTA 5.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

people wanted the xbone and ps4 to be drive less

Those people are fucking stupid.

I'm not going to even sugar coat this, if you think an all-digital future in the current corrupt shady practices this industry is known for, you need to pay more fucking attention and stop being a sheep.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

That CPU makes not sense.

"Idendification Information Obtaining Unit"!?!? WTF is that? 

I wouldn't have a problem with no optical drive if the digital stores weren't overly expensive. If I can go to Gamestop and get a physical copy(BRAND NEW) for $30 while the digital one is still $60 then something is wrong.

Those people are fucking stupid.

I'm not going to even sugar coat this, if you think an all-digital future in the current corrupt shady practices this industry is known for, you need to pay more fucking attention and stop being a sheep.

Maybe you should read all the pages in this thread before you go blabbing your mouth.

This means they are going back to carts right?

It has an internal HDD and is capable of having and external, what's the issue? Everyone of my games has been downloaded. How many of you use steam? Is there something I'm missing here?

So now we have patents from just removing Shit from products? Goddam this is getting retarded.

From what I can tell they are patenting their process. Sorta how you can't patent an assembly line process.

I thought this meant digital download only, but if you look at the patent carefully, it mentions a memory card, and that means that Nintendo is thinking of using flash based storage instead of discs, kind of like how Sony did with the Vita, which if they can make it cheap enough would be a genius move, getting rid of discs altogether but still allowing for physical copies of games.
I'm okay with this as long as it's cheap enough, but if it ends up in the same situation as with the Vita then Nintendo can go scratch their fanny with a cactus.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

I thought this meant digital download only, but if you look at the patent carefully, it mentions a memory card, and that means that Nintendo is thinking of using flash based storage instead of discs, kind of like how Sony did with the Vita, which if they can make it cheap enough would be a genius move, getting rid of discs altogether but still allowing for physical copies of games.

I'm okay with this as long as it's cheap enough, but if it ends up in the same situation as with the Vita then Nintendo can go scratch their fanny with a cactus.

If true it would more the games and to publishers. Nintendo lost third party support on the N64 because of this.

If true it would more the games and to publishers. Nintendo lost third party support on the N64 because of this.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you clarify what you said please? :)

But if I remember rightly Nintendo lost third party dev support because of draconian rights agreements that gave Nintendo exclusive rights to games and a large chunk of the profits from the games, not necessarily because the games came on cartridges, which only caused issues because of the lack of space compared to the CD's on the PlayStation. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is how I remember it.

Nintendo have made a success of the DS family despite the cartridge based tech, so it isn't really that there is any kind of inherent problem with cartridges, it's just that they're expensive compared to discs. Cartridges are also by and large more secure compared to discs, so that would play into publishers best interests because it makes it harder, not impossible mind you, but harder nonetheless to pirate the games and publishers would love that, but only if Nintendo can bring the price down enough to make it viable.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

I had it and it was total shit.

You obviously didn't know what you were doing with it then [emoji14]