Analyst slams AMD for distasteful multi-million dollar bonuses

Deletive

AMD_Logo_678x452.png

AMD is under attack by Bernstein analyst Stacy A. Rasgon, who argues that the recent bonuses awarded to the senior management team are "extremely distasteful" in light of AMD's poor business performance. 

The equity awards were approved by AMD's Board of Directors on August 5th and were made public Tuesday evening via an 8-K filing: they include a mix of performance-based restricted stock, time-based restricted stock, and stock options. 

The compensation scheme includes awards with a target value of $2 million each for Devinder Kumar, AMD's CFO, Forrest E. Norrod, general manager of the enterprise, embedded and semi-custom business group, and Mark Papermaster, the firm's CTO. On August 6th, the Board also approved equity awards with a target value of $6 million for CEO Dr. Lisa Su. 

Part of the document seen in spoiler 

40c8bfed_2015-08-1511_23_13-AdvancedMicr

I think is this isn't the best move by AMD's management, not only for the fact that Carrizo was a complete mess of a launch and still is almost no where to be found while skylake just came out and is doing fine (ignoring marketshare of each companies). Now the elephant in the room is that this money is mainly all in stocks meaning that if Zen is anywhere near good the stock prices of the 2/6 million dollars (respectively) could and probably will be worth soo much more. 

Source: http://www.dvhardware.net/article63006.html

Original PDF downloadable as attachment

AdvancedMicroDevices_8K_20150811.pdf

AdvancedMicroDevices_8K_20150811.pdf

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

more bad news for amd.

their stock is actually worth less than it was when they first started off in '78

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Now the elephant in the room is that this money is mainly all in stocks meaning that if Zen is anywhere near good the stock prices of the 2/6 million dollars (respectively) could and probably will be worth soo much more.

The other possibility is that they go bust and the stocks are worthless, meaning that their bonus is gone.

Buy Intel and Nvidia products only !  You know it's the right thing to do.  :P

They get paid bonuses for some of the most unimaginative or dissapointing product releases yet?

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Someone will buy them out eventually.  Hopefully sooner than later - intel has no competition until late 2016 and they're releasing even better processors in the meantime.. by the time AMD catch up they'll be a step behind again..

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Have they cashed in any of this stock? Because otherwise I don't see why anyone would be upset about this...if anything it's incentive for the leaders to make sure business goes well.

They get paid bonuses for some of the most unimaginative or dissapointing product releases yet?

the products Dr. Lisa Su is responsible will launch next year , the fury was made by the previous CEO

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Someone will buy them out eventually.  Hopefully sooner than later - intel has no competition until late 2016 and they're releasing even better processors in the meantime.. by the time AMD catch up they'll be a step behind again..

If Intel has another IPC increase in 2016, AMD will be 2 steps behind.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hopefully no one will buy them out.  From what I understand, AMD's x86 license won't pass on.  Essentially that would make Intel a company in a field of one. (Two if we want to count VIA.)  Anyway... that aside, I'll take AMD's step behind vs. their marathon behind right now.  Anything to close the gap. 

Hopefully no one will buy them out.  From what I understand, AMD's x86 license won't pass on.  Essentially that would make Intel a company in a field of one. (Two if we want to count VIA.)  Anyway... that aside, I'll take AMD's step behind vs. their marathon behind right now.  Anything to close the gap. 

And to think AMD started out by making CPU off designs licensed by Intel.

PMSL

A company that wants to buyout AMD will likely negotiate a deal with Intel for dat x86 license.  It would be suicide unless you just want the GPUs from AMD.

Let's go over the "analysts are right once in a blue moon rule".

Wait, this isn't a prediction made right before the predicted thing will obviously happen?

woah woah woah.

TBH When your company is dying it's stupid to give out money.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

nXc0OhW.jpg

Take what "analysts" say with a pinch of salt. 

More likely than not, the whole purpose to the article is to stir up investor emotions.

Or just to promote themselves for more work.   

To be honest all large companies have to dangle carrots in front of the CEO, CFO, etc.  how else are they expected to motivate them to perform or keep them if they are good?    To me this deal is actually not that good, If I worked as hard as a CEO rebuilding a company in AMD's position I'd want that $2/6M in cash not worthless stock options.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

YYYYRRRR the ships a' sinking, goa grab what ya can while a harv it. yrrr 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

The IP behind the 64 bit extension to x86 belongs to AMD and is licensed to Intel.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If Intel has another IPC increase in 2016, AMD will be 2 steps behind.

not that it would matter much.

Their current gen products are up to 5 steps behind. yet in gaming and some other tasks, they do manage to claw their way onto the charts, just enough to be relevant...

2 steps behind can easily be countered by some clock speed and lower prices. unless intel increases IPC threefold in one go... which is unlikely they will ever be able to these days given how products are pretty close to hte bleeding edge of their design capacity......

not that it would matter much.

Their current gen products are up to 5 steps behind. yet in gaming and some other tasks, they do manage to claw their way onto the charts, just enough to be relevant...

2 steps behind can easily be countered by some clock speed and lower prices. unless intel increases IPC threefold in one go... which is unlikely they will ever be able to these days given how products are pretty close to hte bleeding edge of their design capacity......

AMD's current CPU are in no way relevant to gaming.

PMSL

AMD's current CPU are in no way relevant to gaming.

let me ask you a question:

Can they play a game at atleast console levels? (1920x1080p 30FPS with most settings at high)

The answer is yes!

My FX 8320 + R9 295x2 could play the Witcher 3 at full settings, even hairworks, at 33 FPS. It never went higher, as soon as i swapped to a i7 4790k i got straight up to 60 FPS. Sure the advantages of intel is massive, and my OC of the FX was rather modest, only 4.52GHz. but the FX could run the game, better then any PS4 or XBONE would, as their graphics would be way worse. So it has that going for it. In GTA 5, it can achieve 40+ FPS. So still better then consoles.

make no mistake. THEY ARE NOT GOOD FOR GAMING, but they CAN PLAY GAMES ATLEAST WELL ENOUGH TO BE USABLE.

Now, i know some thinks it have to be 60FPS or nothing, in which i personally disagree. I can live with 30FPS aslong as the frame timing is rock solid and i do not get microstuttering or dips/spikes. It all comes down to personal preference. I am used to consoles from the past, so i can tolerate 30 FPS. I do not enjoy it, but i can tolerate it.

The Athlon x4 860k costs the same as the Pentium G3258, but performs like 10-15% slower then the i3 4330 in multi thread. So in games that use 4 cores, even a minute OC would push it past the i3 in multi-thread. So is paying 40 bucks less to get a quad core that can play games pretty OK worth it? to some degree, sure. Depends on your budget. If you can make room for a i3 without sacrificing the GPU or something else, then sure, i3 it is. But if you have to sacrifice the GPU or some other part to make room for a i3, well then the Athlon is more worth it. As most modern games are GPU bound anyway