Overclocking Tools for NVIDIA GPUs Suck. I Made My Own

qwertywarrior

thats what 2PKAQWTUQM2Q7DJG said when he ventured out to make his own OC software.

On his/her Wordpress blog he/she  posted a full detailed process of creating an overclocking tool beyond the constraints of today's OC software

read more here

https://1vwjbxf1wko0yhnr.wordpress.com/author/2pkaqwtuqm2q7djg/

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Overclock-any-NVIDIA-GPU-Desktop-and-Mobile-New-Utility

"By probing MSI's OC utility using Ollydbg (an x86 "assembler level analyzing debugger") the author was able to track down how Afterburner was working."

nvapiload.png

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Ill stick with the other various overclocking tools made by actual companies thank you very much.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

That's assembly :o

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

i have to question how necessary and/or safe this is, and if it really makes much difference to make it worth it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ill stick with the other various overclocking tools made by actual companies thank you very much.

i have to question how necessary and/or safe this is, and if it really makes much difference to make it worth it

Its open source and the guy doesn't even put a binary or tied it to a license, thats more safer that the tools released by corps, at least on the malicious software side of things.

The thing is that this guy pretty much reverse engineered NVAPI to make his own tool, and its pretty barebones, it only changes the stock frecuency of the GPU, not volts or anything else, it only runs though CMD, it doesn't have a GUI, the interesting bit is that the tool could be used to OC any nvidia GPU including mobile chips like the tegra and laptop GPU's, the guy used it to OC + 100MHz on his laptop GPU

Im not gonna download some shady tool :P I'll stick with known stuff from known companies :P

see above

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

SNIP

I meant safe as in hardware damage, overclocking things you shouldnt etc not safe as in, viruses :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I meant safe as in hardware damage, overclocking things you shouldnt etc not safe as in, viruses :P

OFC not, this thing is like god mode without safety measures, you can do whatever you want with it, at least on clocks

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

OFC not, this thing is like god mode without safety measures, you can do whatever you want with it, at least on clocks

Known companies dont release viruses with their software.

Or do they?

:ph34r:

Im not gonna download some shady tool :P I'll stick with known stuff from known companies :P

The source code is provided. It's safe and secure.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

ud be amazed at how many companies release malware and viruses with their software

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

actually...

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=29497693&sid=ddf3e32512932172454de515091db014#p29497693

and this was spotted a week ago, yeah its a forum post but is not surprising given that this isn't the first time lenovo gets caught red handed

Which part am i supposed to read? :P

The first post you see opening the page not the OP of that thread, the post by ge814 user.

I've dealt with dead gpus in the past.... I'd rather not do it again so I think I'll stick to afterburner.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Really? Does he know that everything passes through the drivers, and it is the driver that communicates with graphics card to set any overclock?

Because that is how it works, and you you can develop such software like teh guy behind Riva Tuner, by registereing yourself as a developer with Nvidia, and get NvAPI.

So he did all this work to essentially get NvAPI without permission. Ceased and Deceit?

.... and laptop GPU's, the guy used it to OC + 100MHz on his laptop GPU

Currently sitting on a +150MHz oc on my laptop's 970M using MSI Afterburner. I don't see your point.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Why did you even click if you knew you wouldnt like it?

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

On my old laptop (2008), a non gaming one, I nearly double the GPU clock, and that was with Nvidia very own tools which are now discontinued.

Handled the heat fine. And that was "slim" form factor laptop, which were fairly new back then (normal thickness by today standards).

Has a single fan cooling.

At the end of the day, it really depends on the heatsink, thermal paste used, and how good the fan is.

Why did you even click if you knew you wouldnt like it?

After seeing it I made my decision on if I liked it or not. Don't assume how I make my judgments. After seeing what it looked like and the fact you could change voltages ect like the other programs I'll pass on this. Seems kinda stupid to even bother making it in my opinion. Key word OPINION. Last I checked forums allow you to give opinions.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

tmpIbbeyP.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

At my level of nerd, if there's no gui there's no program...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's