Victorian government paying $4.4m to Microsoft to extend Windows 2003 support

ahhming

Victorian government has paid Microsoft $4.4 million for extended support for the now-defunct Windows Server 2003 operating system, in a move which sharply demonstrates the extreme cost of running operating systems which are no longer formally supported by their vendors.

Microsoft server 2003 which is suppose to end support for on July 14.

This payment means the state is still running the operating system in a number of critical instances and requires ongoing security support, and perhaps other services, to help keep those platforms functional for the time being. The cost represents one year of support.

Microsoft has not publicly stated the cost per server instance for custom support for Windows 2003, but in February The Register reported figures published by a Microsoft licensing expert, Paul DeGroot of Pica Communications. DeGroot alleged the cost would be at least $600 per server for custom support after June 14 this year.

The Register reported the cost would double for each year that organisations required the custom support — meaning, if true, that the Victorian Government could be facing a bill of as much as $8.8 million at this time next year if it does not upgrade its systems over the next 12 months.

Microsoft refused to comment on the $600 price. In a statement, the company said simply custom support prices vary depending on “specific customer needs.”

Source:

http://delimiter.com.au/2015/07/20/vic-govt-instantly-blows-4-4m-on-windows-2003/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/16/windows_server_2003_600_dollars/

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/406739,vic-agencies-to-spend-millions-on-win-2003-custom-support.aspx

That 4.4m could have been used getting some Technicians a job of upgrading all the servers to a modern server OS.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

They probably can't afford to upgrade to 8 since it, like everything else digital, likely costs way too much in Australia. 

Come at me brah 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Victorian government is not the Australian government.

They probably can't afford to upgrade to 8 since it, like everything else digital, likely costs way too much in Australia. 

Come at me brah 

Government has had Windows 8 for a long time now, a lot of systems still don't use it though.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Not surprised #Australia

At the rate at which Australia adopts new technology it will likely be the first of many to face such issues. 

They are probably just making sure they don't mess things up by upgrading before all the departments are ready.  Because a glitch like that could cost significantly more in the long run than paying for extended service, (which we don't seem to actually have an official figure on yet.

edit: @PerfectTemplar the education department do, many schools almost exclusively, however you are right, many are lagging which is probably why they have to delay upgrading their servers

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Come at me brah 

Volume Licensing.

That 4.4m could have been used getting some Technicians a job of upgrading all the servers to a modern server OS.

Not Supporting Aus, but compatibility between .Net 2 and 4.5, shouldn't be much of an issue though.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

Victorian government has paid Microsoft $4.4 million for extended support for the now-defunct Windows Server 2003 operating system, in a move which sharply demonstrates the extreme cost of running operating systems which are no longer formally supported by their vendors.

Microsoft server 2003 which is suppose to end support for on July 14.

This payment means the state is still running the operating system in a number of critical instances and requires ongoing security support, and perhaps other services, to help keep those platforms functional for the time being. The cost represents one year of support.

Source:

http://delimiter.com.au/2015/07/20/vic-govt-instantly-blows-4-4m-on-windows-2003/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/16/windows_server_2003_600_dollars/

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/406739,vic-agencies-to-spend-millions-on-win-2003-custom-support.aspx

they could use that 4.4 million to buy new os'es. Did you think of that?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Windows Sever 2003? Jeez.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Either is the severe lack of sleep, or the inherent ignorance of my americaness. But... Victorian Government? What country is that?

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Victorian government is not the Australian government.

Government has had Windows 8 for a long time now, a lot of systems still don't use it though.

Volume Licensing.

Not Supporting Aus, but compatibility between .Net 2 and 4.5, shouldn't be much of an issue though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exaggeration&oq=exaggeration&aqs=chrome..69i57.212j0j9&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Either is the severe lack of sleep, or the inherent ignorance of my americaness. But... Victorian Government? What country is that?

it's a state in Australia

they could use that 4.4 million to buy new os'es. Did you think of that?

It would be great if it was as easy as that :) However, in practice there are many dependencies in enterprise ecosystems that can hinder or prohibit constant technical refreshes - budgets, legacy systems, application compatibility, lack of knowledge, politics/red-tape, culture, etc. Traditionally, enterprise on-boards these kinds of technologies in a lagging manner, however, this is slowly starting to change as technology becomes more of a focal point in broader strategies and visions. Usually it is too much of a cost to upgrade and stay up-to-date as there can be little to no return, thus certain companies will stagnate and try to hold onto their current technologies as long as they can. But it can also come about due to a lack of planning, where an upgrade path or vision is not clearly defined, if not completely absent. I'm sure there are other reasons, but I just wanted to shed some light on the fact that sometimes there can be more to it, than meets the eye. While this is a common issue for a lot of companies, I have a feeling that once companies make the leap to more modern platforms (>2012), future upgrades will meet less resistance.

It would be great if it was as easy as that :) However, in practice there are many dependencies in enterprise ecosystems that can hinder or prohibit constant technical refreshes - budgets, legacy systems, application compatibility, lack of knowledge, politics/red-tape, culture, etc. Traditionally, enterprise on-boards these kinds of technologies in a lagging manner, however, this is slowly starting to change as technology becomes more of a focal point in broader strategies and visions. Usually it is too much of a cost to upgrade and stay up-to-date as there can be little to no return, thus certain companies will stagnate and try to hold onto their current technologies as long as they can. But it can also come about due to a lack of planning, where an upgrade path or vision is not clearly defined, if not completely absent. I'm sure there are other reasons, but I just wanted to shed some light on the fact that sometimes there can be more to it, than meets the eye. While this is a common issue for a lot of companies, I have a feeling that once companies make the leap to more modern platforms (>2012), future upgrades will meet less resistance.

This is a good explanation,  too many people just assume it is stupidity that leads to this sort of thing happening, usually it is quite a complex array of smaller issues that compound.

Another reason it tends to happen (or did happen) is that technology advances a lot faster than budgets can keep up with.  When you have tax payers trying to keep Ambulance, Police, Fire and 7 other crucial departments in bleeding edge technology, there is going to be budget issues thus certain unseen components of the entire IT system will get neglected for as long as possible.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Victoria is a state in Australia, we also have Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and the two territories Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory (ACT).

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Am I the only one who finds running a severely outdated OS on a server to be a really dumb idea? It likely also means that the servers are ancient...

I don't understand why companies/governments haven't switched over to a new server OS yet when they knew well in advance when end of support was going to happen.

I don't understand why companies/governments haven't switched over to a new server OS yet when they knew well in advance when end of support was going to happen.

It's not that simple.

These are servers running Windows Server 2003 - even if the server was physically capable of running Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012 R2, they would be ridiculously slow.

It's quite apparent that most of the users commenting in this thread have never worked in a proper corporate IT setting (even a smaller one). They see $4.4 Million and think "Well fuck, just spend that money on OS's!".

Well, I hate to tell you, but the actual cost of the OS is the least expensive part about upgrading. No, they have to replace thousands of PC's and servers too. They need to physically upgrade their systems along with their OS's.

Servers are fucking expensive. A proper high end server can range anywhere from $5,000 to $35,000 or even more. That's per unit. Then you're also likely looking at $1000-$1500 per workstation. You might think "That's so expensive! Ripoff!". Wrong. For a number of reasons:

1. Business class support - it isn't cheap! A business - especially government, needs things to be reliable and quickly fixed. That means they need to buy the optional multi-year warranty (Usually 3 or 5 year warranty) that offers next day, on-site support. That means that when a PC's motherboard dies, the OEM (Dell, HP, whatever) will send a technician to the building the next day with a replacement part and will do the swap in person for you.

2. Overbuilding computers - An office computer is expected to be in use for at least 3 years - 5 years is more realistic. That means in 4.5 years, the PC still has to be decently fast enough to use. That means that a workstation that would only need an i3 today, get's an i7 instead, so that in 3 years when new software comes out, it can still run that software well.

It's cheaper in the long run for them to spend an extra $250-500 per workstation NOW, then have to re-buy computers too soon because they aren't meeting staff needs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just letting people know the USA DoD signed a very similar contract with Microsoft a while back so they aren't quite the first to have this issue.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just letting people know the USA DoD signed a very similar contract with Microsoft a while back so they aren't quite the first to have this issue.

Also remember that Microsoft only offers these extended service contracts if the business in mind has a practical upgrade plan that will get them off the legacy system within 1-2 years.

Eg: An actual upgrade plan, w/ documentation, on how they will be upgrading to x OS in 3 months, y Server OS in 6 months, deploying c amount of computers over z timeframe.

Despite getting $4.4 Million out of it, Microsoft REALLY doesn't want to support their old legacy crap.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's not that simple.

These are servers running Windows Server 2003 - even if the server was physically capable of running Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012 R2, they would be ridiculously slow.

It's quite apparent that most of the users commenting in this thread have never worked in a proper corporate IT setting (even a smaller one). They see $4.4 Million and think "Well fuck, just spend that money on OS's!".

Well, I hate to tell you, but the actual cost of the OS is the least expensive part about upgrading. No, they have to replace thousands of PC's and servers too. They need to physically upgrade their systems along with their OS's.

Servers are fucking expensive. A proper high end server can range anywhere from $5,000 to $35,000 or even more. That's per unit. Then you're also likely looking at $1000-$1500 per workstation. You might think "That's so expensive! Ripoff!". Wrong. For a number of reasons:

1. Business class support - it isn't cheap! A business - especially government, needs things to be reliable and quickly fixed. That means they need to buy the optional multi-year warranty (Usually 3 or 5 year warranty) that offers next day, on-site support. That means that when a PC's motherboard dies, the OEM (Dell, HP, whatever) will send a technician to the building the next day with a replacement part and will do the swap in person for you.

2. Overbuilding computers - An office computer is expected to be in use for at least 3 years - 5 years is more realistic. That means in 4.5 years, the PC still has to be decently fast enough to use. That means that a workstation that would only need an i3 today, get's an i7 instead, so that in 3 years when new software comes out, it can still run that software well.

It's cheaper in the long run for them to spend an extra $250-500 per workstation NOW, then have to re-buy computers too soon because they aren't meeting staff needs.

Fair enough.

TBH, they would probably make the servers even more broken than they currently are.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And the taxpayer yet again has the foot the bill for the government's inability to keep their own house in order, so we're forking out for extended support without any real benefit. There's no cost saving here, in fact it's just a stopgap before we have to pay for an upgrade.

Now a reminder that they want to *raise* the GST another 5% in the near future and lower the theshold for GST on imports.

It's stuff like this that just shows that they're not responsible enough with taxpayer money they're receiving right now, let alone the increase they are proposing.

TBH, they would probably make the servers even more broken than they currently are.

Maybe if the government gets the same clowns that do the roads the systems would get worse.

Spoiler