CaseLabs apologizes to ThermalTake about accusations

FranBunnyFFXII

http://thermaltakeusa.com/content.aspx?id=6195

Recently, CaseLabs and some of its personnel, including Kevin Keating, posted attacks upon Thermaltake. Those attacks have included accusations that Thermaltake and one of its employees, Mr. Shannon Robb, "stole" CaseLabs' case design and engaged in unfair competition. CaseLabs now regrets those statements and apologizes for making them.

CaseLabs’ accusations were false.  As CaseLabs admits in its retraction and apology letter:  

“CaseLabs acknowledges that it does not own any patents on any of its case products. CaseLabs' postings, which suggested that litigating to enforce patents would be prohibitively expensive, were misleading, because they implied that CaseLabs actually owned patents, which it does not. CaseLabs regrets this error. CaseLabs apologizes for accusing Mr. Robb and Thermaltake of "stealing" anything. The look of a computer case will always have some similar features - given its functional nature. CaseLabs retracts its accusations against Thermaltake for "copying other people's existing concepts and calling them your own" and of producing "rip-off products."

I know Shannon personally and talked with him about this issue.

And personally I don't care what ThermalTake did or didnt do. It did seem like CaseLabs was throwing a fit.

And honestly 

They're black boxes. HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU REALLY DESIGN A STUPID BLACKBOX and call it your own?

And this is why Fractal didn't even try. Thermalfake can bully the shit out of these smaller companies.

Note that Caselabs did not in any way, shape, or form state that Thermalfake didn't willfully copy with the intent of mimicking Caselabs.

this entire "redaction" is lawyer speak for "you didn't patent it so it isn't yours and it cannot be stolen. So fuck off or we will sue you into oblivion."

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Wow. Not sure what to say.

Nothing really. This is a roundabout way of saying that the point of caselabs statement did indeed come to pass. Thermalfake bullied their way into being a cheap ripoff brand.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well... This is why you don't do that...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Drinking a lot of coolaid are we?

There is this thing called reading... This is textbook forceful action. It's not even thinly veiled. Hell I wonder if the person who decided it was a good idea to put this up realized that caselabs was mocking them the entire time. After all English can't be the first language of most people on thermalfakes team.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Still, nobody should buy from a company that has such low moral values

They did not only copy cases

They copied dozens of products from many companies, not just fractal design and caselabs

Never recommend their products again

Not only are them made from crap quality materials in china, but they are copying design and engineering that they did not make

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Still, nobody should buy from a company that has such low moral values

They did not only copy cases

They copied dozens of products from many companies, not just fractal design and caselabs

Never recommend their products again

Not only are them made from crap quality materials in china, but they are copying design and engineering that they did not make

Sad to know you won't be getting any more tech products at all, this shit is just commonplace.

-------

Current Rig

-------

when i first heard about caselabs snafu i would EXTREMELY scared for whats to come

if these companies went after apple's retarded patent design strategy companies can sure on the smallest details. Comapnies will be scared to make new designs on the premise that in some way it might be considered copying

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Sad to know you won't be getting any more tech products at all, this shit is just commonplace.

ummm no?

There are plenty of brand that use good quality materials for their parts

look at bitspower for example

best fittings on the planet

they arent made of crap like the thermaltake ones are

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"They're black boxes. HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU REALLY DESIGN A STUPID BLACKBOX and call it your own?"

To be fair a lot of ways.

A finite (original) number of ways nevertheless. We could put a different screw and call it a different case but let's not be those people.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So they're bullying now? Pathetic ...

All the more reason to boycott ThermalFake.

What? How did that come across as bullying? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

They're black boxes. HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU REALLY DESIGN A STUPID BLACKBOX and call it your own?

They are not saying they didnt copy, they are saying they have no patents or copyrights over the design

Thermaltake DID copy, but they can because its not patented

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Cheaper to say sorry and let consumer decide whether they want to support good companies, or whether they're happy to sacrifice quality for price.

No different to what I've seen in the aftermarket car part industry.

Some people get good 'bang for buck' out of cheap gear, while others learn lessons from buying cheap gear that doesn't live up to their expectations.

What? How did that come across as bullying?

There's no way Caselabs made that apology on their own. The only reason they'd do that is because ThermalFake would threaten with a lawsuit, which they would of course win because Caselabs didn't patent the design.

There's no way Caselabs made that apology on their own. The only reason they'd do that is because ThermalFake would threaten with a lawsuit, which they would of course win because Caselabs didn't patent the design.

Source? 

I still advocate in favor of Thermaltake.  They took an aesthetic from the outside, and changed around the inside, improved upon some of it, cut corners to reduce pricing and quality, but all while still delivering some rather decent cases.  Granted their iteration of the R5 has no velcro straps.

"Common sense" and "logic"

So I take it that its an assumption from your "common sense" and "logic"?