CaseLabs apologizes to ThermalTake about accusations

FranBunnyFFXII

The water block have been debunked so did the fans, and seriously fittings ? You're as good as saying Samsung copied Apple for using round edges.

I think the whole thermalfake thingy was just double standard and b.s.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This to.

hrQDFQqY3R0a.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Oh you mean this one:

front-620.jpg

I'm glad Fractral Josh was smart enough to realize that they themselves don't exactly have their hands clean so to speak when you consider the Antec P280 and others like this one existed before Fractal Design was even a company: Give it up this happens all of the time, except most companies are not as stupid as to complain without filing patents

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh you mean this one:

front-620.jpg

I'm glad Fractral Josh was smart enough to realize that they themselves don't exactly have their hands clean so to speak when you consider the Antec P280 and others like this one existed before Fractal Design was even a company: Give it up this happens all of the time, except most companies are not as stupid as to complain without filing patents

See, now an R5 looks looks distinctly different than than that case. It's possible to take inspiration from something without blatantly mimicking it. 

The block is an OEM part either by swiftech or another manufacturer:

My0GmaMl.png

watercooling-swiftech-apogee-xl-custom-m

500x1000px-LL-ddb07a00_P6290903.jpeg

You can clearly see it's just a standard block with a screwed on top plate.

As for Fractal, since they outright said there is only so many ways to design a box. They built their success off of copies of Antec designs.

And notice how TT is the only one to use the same pattern as Swiftech, everyone else's is distinctly different.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

No one who was going to buy a CaseLabs case is going to change their mind because of TT. People buy CaseLabs for their overbuilt quality and reputation first and foremost.

This is a non issue. The cases (and the other "ripoffs") are different enough for it to not be a direct ripoff. They are certainly inspired, yes, but so what? That's how the tech world works. Also, the links of other ripoff products people are showing:

1. The fan - nope. It's similar, but it's a fucking fan, there are only so many ways to differentiate. The blades are completely differently shaped. The circular outside is more pronounced in the Corsair. The TT has LED's. The anti-vibration mounts are both totally different.

2. The CPU Waterblock - those two are likely licensed and manufactured by the same OEM. If anyone has verifiable proof that TT did not license the design, please post. Otherwise it's total bullshit.

Don't you people realize that 90% of tech products are licensed designs that are manufactured by OEM's?

If people want a cheap alternative to something like a CaseLabs case, they might check out TT's new case. Those people were likely not going to buy a real CaseLabs case anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just about every article about the subject mentions the conversation, OC3D showed the invoice. Check the recipient mail address.

03055507808l.jpg

source

Jay and Barnacules did a lengthy topic about this, 47:00 and further.

Jay is fairly familiar with Caselabs and Barnacules mentions that TT's Robb is a friend of his.

So they actively sold a product to a competitor then got shitty becasue that competitor released a similar product? GG caselabs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

See, now an R5 looks looks distinctly different than than that case. It's possible to take inspiration from something without blatantly mimicking it. 

Same goes from the Define vs the Thermaltake supposed rip off posted on the pic I was replying to: yes it's close, but it's different enough within the realm of "plain, featureless black fucking rectangle" of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And notice how TT is the only one to use the same pattern as Swiftech, everyone else's is distinctly different.

Yeah guys let's go after TT for copying that block just because of patterns.

And what about Zalman Z1 or NZXT S340 ? they look similar to the Fractal design especially the Zalman Z1.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I see some copying kinda, but the double standard still exists if you're going after all companies ( Most of them will be Asain ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Hey I'd throw a bit of a fit too. They essentially mimicked the face of the company.

And this is why Fractal didn't even try. Thermalfake can bully the shit out of these smaller companies.

Note that Caselabs did not in any way, shape, or form state that Thermalfake didn't willfully copy with the intent of mimicking Caselabs.

this entire "redaction" is lawyer speak for "you didn't patent it so it isn't yours and it cannot be stolen. So fuck off or we will sue you into oblivion."

Exactly they're basically just getting themselves out of "owning the design" as they don't since its not patented. It's hard to legitimately patent the look of something. Don't ask me how apple gets all this shit through. Lol

Drinking a lot of coolaid are we?

Kool-aid you mean? [emoji14]

If only caselabs had a way to defend themselves, oh I know get a motherfucking patent next time! Brilliant.

Well how many patents are there on PC cases. I'd venture next to none. You would have to patent both the design and the look. This is also a modular case so what the, especially for the look. And if they did somehow manage to patent the modular case idea that would be no good for the industry.

Probably because they realized having people from their company taking to facebook to attack and insult Thermaltake and its worker doesn't give them a good impression. Thus, It be wise to apologize before the industry and partners list Caselabs for that sort of behaviour.

Yep I'm also guessing that Thermaltake might also be able to do legal action in someway since case labs was claiming ownership (in a way) on something they didn't have.

And what about Zalman Z1 or NZXT S340 ? they look similar to the Fractal design especially the Zalman Z1.

S340 significantly different from any of fractal's offering's. I think many of you are boiling this down way too far.

S340 significantly different from any of fractal's offering's. I think many of you are boiling this down way too far.

I apologize.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Well how many patents are there on PC cases. I'd venture next to none. You would have to patent both the design and the look. This is also a modular case so what the, especially for the look. And if they did somehow manage to patent the modular case idea that would be no good for the industry.

Yep I'm also guessing that Thermaltake might also be able to do legal action in someway since case labs was claiming ownership (in a way) on something they didn't have.

I am no lawyer but it could end up being more of a trademark look than a patent so to speak. But the point stands and I did mention "patents or trademarks" on my page 1 reply though, but fair point.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh you mean this one:

front-620.jpg

That case you linked does not look like a copy pasta, compared to TT and FD.

What.... It doesn't matter if they patent their products or designs. The point of the matter is, ThermalFake purposely took their designs and call it theirs. 

Why would they apologize? I just lost some respect for Caselabs. 

http://thermaltakeusa.com/content.aspx?id=6195

I know Shannon personally and talked with him about this issue.

And personally I don't care what ThermalTake did or didnt do. It did seem like CaseLabs was throwing a fit.

And honestly 

They're black boxes. HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU REALLY DESIGN A STUPID BLACKBOX and call it your own

U MAD BRO? U MAD cause u cant afford a CaseLabs BLACKBOX. 

Because false accusations are illegal, and makes CaseLabs liable for revenue loss at Thermaltake.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So they actively sold a product to a competitor then got shitty becasue that competitor released a similar product? GG caselabs.

Companies buy competitors' products all the time to reverse engineer them and/or look how they are made, so that's perfectly normal.  Blatantly ripping off the desing on the other hand is a whole other thing. 

If Caselabs hadn't sold to ThermalFake, the latter would have bought one under another name or privately and it would have been copied anyway. 

Companies buy competitors' products all the time to reverse engineer them and/or look how they are made, so that's perfectly normal.  Blatantly ripping off the desing on the other hand is a whole other thing. 

If Caselabs hadn't sold to ThermalFake, the latter would have bought one under another name or privately and it would have been copied anyway. 

I have first hand experience with this.  It most certainly is common business practice,  which is why the only question I have for caselabs is;  Do you even business?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Same goes from the Define vs the Thermaltake supposed rip off posted on the pic I was replying to: yes it's close, but it's different enough within the realm of "plain, featureless black fucking rectangle" of course.

Except the F51 and R5 look almost identical -- whereas the R5 and P280 still look unique. 

How does the Z1 look similar at all, or the s340 for that matter. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I apologize.

Is alright just wanted to clarify.

I am no lawyer but it could end up being more of a trademark look than a patent so to speak. But the point stands and I did mention "patents or trademarks" on my page 1 reply though, but fair point.

A trademark may work better I dont know much about patents except when it comes to the a mechanical design or process (if you know what I mean).

That case you linked does not look like a copy pasta, compared to TT and FD.

Thats a P280 and is not a case that any brand would want to copy. Fractal was referring to the P180/P190 series cases from Antec (back when they actually made good products). Even then its more of an inspiration then a design copy. They took the Simple and Silent market that was Antec's and did it better. Visually they are different products. The one this I would say they did copy one the earlier models was the rectangle vents on the side of the door.

That is not what I would call an apology. More lawyer talk so they dont get themselves into more trouble.

Because false accusations are illegal, and makes CaseLabs liable for revenue loss at Thermaltake.

thats my guess

M6NdrmQ.jpg

Yeah i don't think that has anything to do with it.

That is definitely an interesting choice of components.