"Popcorn Time is now more popular than popcorn"---The Verge's great Lie

jos

Google searches for “popcorn” now routinely rank the Popcorn Time bittorrent streamer ahead of the succulent snack of superheated chemical corn consumed at movie houses since time immemorial. And in a head-to-head fight, “Popcorn Time” beats “popcorn” nearly two to one.

The team behind the installer claims more than 1 million iOS installs

0rciqk59.0.jpg

So what do you guys think of Popcorn times. Do you think the region restriction in netflix is increasing the popularity of popcorn time?

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/26/8850505/first-click-popcorn-time-is-now-more-popular-than-popcorn

The Verge is an American technology news and media network operated by Vox Media. The Verge had won five Webby Awards. This was a reputable site. Thanks to @Syntaxvgm we learned. The Verge just Lied and created this as First Click post. Why do sites like these lies straight ahead..and bringing bad reputation to tech news site practices??

I really liked Popcorn Time, its beautiful, so beautiful that people think its legal

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Besides, OP, 

Popcorn Time is now more popular than popcorn

VPiLhdu.png

BOOM
/THREAD

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I didn't even know popcorn time...was even a thing again til now.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

OMG The Verge just Lied and created this as First Click post

The verge clickbait? It's not like that ever happens

/s shouldn't be needed

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What kind of popcorn do they eat at the verge for it to be categorized as succulent?

i have popcorn time and its not bad but far from being amazing or great

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

nobody fuckin googles netflix. They just use it. 

In my old techy job customers would bring in machines and ALOT of them had google search results for facebook instagram netflix etc bookmarked and had never actually entered the URL into the browser. Soooooo many people just google what they want even if its a massive site like facebook etc.

I had one customer complain after I told him to "just pop www.facebook.com into internet explorer" because I'd forgot to readd his googled facebook bookmark. His reply was "I don't know how to do that, i've never done that before."

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Popcorn time is very easy to use, but I prefer Genesis on XBMC. Glorious 1080p and no stutter on almost all content. 

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

You don't Google popcorn, you eat it! :3

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

I just wish PopCorn Time had more films and stuff. Their library is limited to mainly US films. I would like to see some foreign films on there as they are really good. I always watch yakuza films and Korean and Japanese films and would like to see more on here. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

OMG The Verge just Lied and created this as First Click post

You do know they are a sister site of Polyong?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

YOU CAN'T BEAT POPCORN

Popcorn is the food of the gods

POPCORN IS THE FOOD OF THE PC MASTER RACE

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

YOU CAN'T BEAT POPCORN

Popcorn is the food of the gods

POPCORN IS THE FOOD OF THE PC MASTER RACE

Who would have thought that the Native Americans were so in-touch with their 'inner PC gamer' over 4000 years ago when they invented it.

"You know what those people in the future are gonna like? If we set this plant on fire and eat its exploded seeds."

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Popcorn time is very easy to use, but I prefer Genesis on XBMC. Glorious 1080p and no stutter on almost all content. 

And since it's not p2p you don't have to worry about files without seeders

I tried to subscribe to netflix but it was not available on my country. I tried Hulu, Amazon Prime and the same result1 it wasn't available. I tried popcorn time, it was a good experience but it wasn't legal. I made the decision to stop watching and just start reading. Now i enjoy reading more than watching.

Besides, OP, 

VPiLhdu.png

BOOM

/THREAD

Wrong. You need to specify that the term 'popcorn' is in reference to food:

So, technically, The Verge didn't lie:

l0QApYX.png

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This makes me sad so very very sad.

I support piracy, because it is so much more usable than normal media in many cases.

But often, people who use Popcorn Time could just as well use (and pay for) Netflix or HBO.

Although those platforms may not have all wanted content.

I wish Netflix would just have all the content all over the world, then I wouldn't mind seeing Popcorn Time being erradicated (and as long as decent accesiblity for other media is still not in place I think piracy has a place)

What I also very much dislike, to an enormous degree, is the general populus that use Popcorn Time, that do not know that they are torrenting just as much as I would be doing (and I believe Bittorrent also has a built in stream functionality)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

So what do you guys think of Popcorn times. Do you think the region restriction in netflix is increasing the popularity of popcorn time?

Popcorn time is just a Bitorrent client, with a fancy skin. I briefly tried it out of curiosity and wasn't very impressed. Seemed poorly coded and had a clunky bloated feel. I get that it's making "piracy" more user friendly, but honestly, media clients such as XBMC / Plex and some tools for downloading such as Couchpotato or sickbeard (even simple RSS feeds) have been around for a number of years and were far more paradigm shifting than Popcorn Time. My automated system is fucking amazing, I struggle to believe how awesome it is. For me personally, what I can do now was about as mindblowing as when Napster / Bitorrent and the iPOD first came around, things have changed, we can't go back.

Netflix are doing the absolute best they can to move the industry towards that sort of availability and functionality, it's the industry that is preventing it, not Netflix. They would love to be in a similar position for Film / TV that Spotify have with Music. But we are so far away from that, so piracy will remain a huge issue, but it's been an issue long before Popcorn time.

Why would anybody need to google "popcorn" anyway?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II