[Mini News] Windows 10 to be sold in DVD and USB format

GoodBytes

While not official yet, according to Winfuture.de, Windows 10 Home and Pro, will be sold in DVD but also USB flash drive.

This makes sense as more and more laptops don't have optical drives anymore, and you have Windows powered tablets.

The unnamed source of Winfuture’s information also reports that both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 10 will be available on the thumb drive, and the customer will be able to choose which version to install. This is an added advantage of placing the Windows 10 install files on a USB drive as historically DVD copies will solely be for either a 32 or 64 bit system.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-come-usb-sticks-addition-dvd

The big question is what will be the read speed and will be on USB 2.0 or 3.0 flash drive?

Is the price the same? All questions we don't know yet, if any of it is true.

The read speed seems a bit academic: I can't imagine it being slower than even a good optical drive.

Finally, I bet its USB2 2.0 for better compatibility and price.

some USB 3.0 drive I have used will not detect right in some BIOs

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I can't wait till DVDs are no longer needed , and less computer case manufacturers include that damned space hogging 5.25 drive bay . 

MORE SPACE FOR WATERCOOLING !

What was the price going to be for Win 10? Do we know yet?

If its less than $50 I might just buy a brand new copy instead of getting the free update

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Probably usb 2.0. However that is still faster than ODD.

How much of a difference would it make going to 3.0 in terms of actual install speed?

Also, is/was usb read-only memory a thing? If not why not?

Much

How much of a difference would it make going to 3.0 in terms of actual install speed?

Well I have seen USB 3.0 flash drive that can't even do 10MB/s peek, 'cause they wanted to put "USB 3.0" on the package, but really use the crappiest chips they can get.

But assuming a decent one. Mine is ~100MB/s peek reads (was 35$ for 32GB, so nothing special), I could install (the install process, that is excluding you going throw the setup wizard, and the first startup), takes 3min.

My old USB drive on USB 2.0 with ~25MB/s peek reads, I could install Windows 7 and 8 in 7min.

It makes a huge difference, I've tried 8.1 on USB 2 & 3 devices, I'd say it cuts the install time by 1/4.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

awesome, a OS and a free USB that you can recycle for some other data, pretty smart of microsoft, a logical step but still smart.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

What was the price going to be for Win 10? Do we know yet?

If its less than $50 I might just buy a brand new copy instead of getting the free update

Well if theyŕe going to give out free updates, I'm sure it's going to be a lot more than fifty dollars, considering a Windows 8.1 builder is around 90. I thought there were rumors that it would be 120 at launch?

Wanted Build: i5 4690K, Z97-A, Vengeance 16GB, Samsung 256GB SSD, 980TI, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: G502 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 2 Phone: Samsung S6 Edge Tablet: iPad 2

Investing in becoming a Logitech fanboi?

Well if theyŕe going to give out free updates, I'm sure it's going to be a lot more than fifty dollars, considering a Windows 8.1 builder is around 90. I thought there were rumors that it would be 120 at launch?

windows 8 was $40 at launch...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I can't wait till DVDs are no longer needed , and less computer case manufacturers include that damned space hogging 5.25 drive bay . 

MORE SPACE FOR WATERCOOLING !

Bay. Reservoir.

8GB Flash drive is less than $5

I wouldn't mind pay extra $5 for better durability instead DVD

windows 8 was $40 at launch...

Sorry mate was talking about a system builder version.

Wanted Build: i5 4690K, Z97-A, Vengeance 16GB, Samsung 256GB SSD, 980TI, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: G502 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 2 Phone: Samsung S6 Edge Tablet: iPad 2

Investing in becoming a Logitech fanboi?

Bay. Reservoir.

Oh don't tell me those bay res are nice . Cylindrical res are way cooler , and now you'll have space for them :D

Everything finally feels futuristic now.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Wow, Microsoft! You're, like... years late to the party! But better late than never, as they say.

Wow, Microsoft! You're, like... years late to the party! But better late than never, as they say.

How late are they?

I've not being paying attention; can you download an install image from their website and create your own install medium yet, using a key you bought from them? Because that's a lot less stupid than sending an actual flash drive.

How late are they?

By at least a few years. Not sure how late they are exactly.

By at least a few years. Not sure how late they are exactly.

Well back when Windows 8 was out, most systems, in fact nearly all of them had optical drives. That was ~3 years ago, so I don't really see how they are late to anything. It's not like Windows 10 is DVD only, and installing Windows 10 on most system is a big problem because it lacks a USB flash drive version, and then with Windows 11, they bring it. That would be late.

Well back when Windows 8 was out, most systems, in fact nearly all of them had optical drives. That was ~3 years ago, so I don't really see how they are late to anything. It's not like Windows 10 is DVD only, and installing Windows 10 on most system is a big problem because it lacks a USB flash drive version, and then with Windows 11, they bring it. That would be late.

INB4 someone tries to correct you and say W10 is the last windows

"WILL THERE BE ISO's FOR WIN 10?!!!! OMG MICROSOFT!!!" haha people were freaking out for no reason

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)