Sony Explains Why PS4 Will Not Get Backward Compatibility

At this years E3 MS dropped the bombshell (well maybe more shotgun cartridge) that the xbone will offer backwards compatability for 360 games. this was praised and, in all fairness, i see why.  its a good thing for exsisting 360 owners and people who have never owned a 360 at all.  this left people wondering if sony will do the same and sony have answered.

We are just taking two different approaches. Unfortunately there are just not sufficient enough software engineers in the world for everyone to do everything," he said. "Each platform holder has to make their choices, we made one and they made another. Their choice is entirely legitimate, and I think our choice is legitimate, too. In some ways it is quite nice to have points of difference between the two platforms, and people will decide which approach suits them best."

He went on to explain that the company provided backward compatibility earlier with first generation PS3s being able to play PS2 games.

"We have experience of backwards compatibility. The earliest PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS2, and it is a much requested feature... but actually it's not so greatly used... On balance, we are happy with our approach and we don't wish to be defensive about it at all. But as I say, both approaches are legitimate."

i get where they are coming from, its extra work to get the console to do BC, work that could be spent on getting the thing to run 60fps @ 1080 (pcmasterrace) and to be honest, its not going to be the diferance between buying one or the other really. having not owned a ps3, BC would have pushed me to buy a PS4 sooner but instead ill get the PS3 first and buy a shit load of really good games dirt cheap and wait for the PS4 to drop in price sony will still get there money form me. 

Its nice to see BC on the xbone but its not going to be its saving grace.

source http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/sony-explains-why-ps4-will-not-get-backward-compatibility-for-ps3-games-704710

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

They don't mention that it's pretty much impossible to emulate the Cell architecture on x86, but instead use it to say it's not a useful feature?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

The Sony guy is right: it's a feature many people want and scream for, but they don't use it, or they use it for a short time and never really use it again.

At least from what I have seen in my own experience he is right anyway

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Very funny Sony.

I have a shitty Ultra Slim PS3 and I am now looking to get a fat PS3 because I want to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games on it too.

Maybe they think it is not used that much, but this is how you make people stay on your platform/side and how you sell more (old) software.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sony's solution to backwards compatability will be Playstation Now.

Very funny Sony.

I have a shitty Ultra Slim PS3 and I am now looking to get a fat PS3 because I want to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games on it too.

Maybe they think it is not used that much, but this is how you make people stay on your platform/side and how you sell more (old) software.

Money which Sony does not see a penny off since old software is only avaiable in 2nd hand.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

And here I was, thinking how PS Now would allow all PS3 titles to be playable on PS4.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

but Xbox One has same architecture but still would offer backward compability.

PowerPC is easier to emulate then Cell. Remember the PS3's backwards compatibility? They literally had to put PS2 hardware in the PS3 in order to have backwards compatibility. 

"Rawr XD"

I had 3 different PS3s and could not get my PS2 games to play on any of them!

I had the first gen Ps3, the second gen, and the slim with the sliding cover on top.

None were able to play my PS2 games. :(

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

It's not that PS3 compatibility to PS2 was "not so greatly used", its that they did away with the models that had the Emotion Engine in it far too quickly for most consumers to even use it, due to it being "too expensive". I am sure it would have been used far more often if they had actually kept it in. Hell, look for the original PS3's on ebay that had the Emotion Engine in them, they sell for over twice the price of the current PS3's. This is enough to show you that backwards compatibility was a sought after feature.

I would rather pay $100 more for a console and enjoy all of my previous games without having to repurchase all of them, rather than save $100 and have my previous collection be useless, or tied to antiquated hardware. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Very funny Sony.

Do you know what the fat PS3s are susceptible to? Especially the old ones with backwards compatibility?

Spoiler: Thermal Shock.

Xbox clearly won E3 this just reinforces my opinion, there's tons of last gen games that I would love to play without having to reconnect my 360 every time I feel like playing them. I'm just sad Activision partnered with Sony, we'll most likely see Call of Duty esports move to Playstation  :angry:  :(

Considering 2nd hand pricing of the XB360/PS3 I wouldn't be too concerned about backwards compatability, I'd just buy the actual previous console itself. People in some cases are pretty much giving them away...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Money which Sony does not see a penny off since old software is only avaiable in 2nd hand.

True, I was not thinking logically.

They only want to make money and don't give a shit about the customer, as long as they pay.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The Sony guy is right: it's a feature many people want and scream for, but they don't use it, or they use it for a short time and never really use it again.

A feature that people didn't use becuase they were unable to use features on those games, such as multiplayer, where that is now going to change with X1 as it will be like playing on the X360... you have access to the multiplayer and can even play with your friends on the X360 :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Do you know what the fat PS3s are susceptible to? Especially the old ones with backwards compatibility?

Spoiler: Thermal Shock.

yeah, I heard they were very often RIP.

I had 3 different PS3s and could not get my PS2 games to play on any of them!

I had the first gen Ps3, the second gen, and the slim with the sliding cover on top.

None were able to play my PS2 games. :(

First one should have been able to play them..

Considering 2nd hand pricing of the XB360/PS3 I wouldn't be too concerned about backwards compatability, I'd just buy the actual previous console itself. People in some cases are pretty much giving them away...

But what if you have only 1 HDMI port on your monitor/TV? No place to power it anymore?

What if you don't have the room for it anymore? Those are all reasons why it is very helpful.

But what if you have only 1 HDMI port on your monitor/TV? No place to power it anymore?

What if you don't have the room for it anymore? Those are all reasons why it is very helpful.

I agree there are some instances where my way is more annoying...

But.. HDMI splitters and 2in1 power adapters have that covered.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

There's an easier solution here. Use a platform that can be upgraded instead of having to purchase a new platform every few years.

And I'm not saying "use a PC". I'm saying perhaps they should make an upgradeable console, and instead of spending 5 years creating a new console, spend that time and money on making some upgrades for the original platform..

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lol, i can't wait to play cod 4 and blops 2 on my XBOX ONE too bad sony players won't be able to.

I've got a PS3 that supports backwards compatability /fatPS3masterrace but I think I used it once for gran tourismo 4, but then just gave up as I had more fun with other games like motorstorm instead. I get why some people might like backwards compatability, but I personally, as with a lot of other people, don't actually bother with it. I'd rather keep the old console and set it up if I desperately want some gaming nostalgia, but overall most people would rather play newer titles than old, previous gen ones.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

911 is a feature on phones that I don't use often either, what's your point?  I want what I want, and if I only use it once or twice then I'm still able to use it.  Backwards compatibility is particularly awesome when generation changes happen since users won't be stuck with having just 1 game for the first year or X months and can hit up their other titles without turning their entertainment system/theater into a mess of shit cables everywhere.

We're starting to see lots of good things from Microsoft. I hope this does not change, although I am happy with my PC and will not buy a console it is still a great feature to throw in there, and another reason to consider the Xbox One.

PowerPC is easier to emulate then Cell. Remember the PS3's backwards compatibility? They literally had to put PS2 hardware in the PS3 in order to have backwards compatibility. 

A clear example is PCSX2... It still somewhat CPU heavy for only emulating a PS2... I tried GT4 once in a G3258 (not OC tho) and it reached 100 % CPU usage many times 

This is a signature.

Of course Sony says that. 

PS Now is a subscription service. Why would they give you BC for free when they can charge you with that? 

MS has no streaming service. They don't care. They are giving you a FREE feature that simply requires publisher approval to make happen, and lets you enjoy older games that you still might want to play. Hell, I still play KotOR I and II, those are ancient games. 

Sony is actually trying to make BC sound like a waste or a bad feature. How sad. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

As someone who does use it a lot, it always disappointed me they didn't have it with PS4.

I had an original 60 GB PS3 with PS2 and PS1 BC and used both frequently.  I even bought my cousins second hand 60 GB PS3 when mine died so I could keep the feature. (Even if the fan in that thing is louder than a 290x on full tilt.) I also extensively use my Wii U's backwards compatibility for Wii games.  

I would have gladly paid $600 for a PS4 to get a PS3 thrown in there so I could play my library of 150+ PS3 games on one system, rather than needing both of them at my TV for the foreseeable future. 

I suppose I'm a niche scenario though.  I have a rather large PS3 backlog and it's annoying to swap HDMI cords since my TV only has two ports.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

A feature that people didn't use becuase they were unable to use features on those games, such as multiplayer, where that is now going to change with X1 as it will be like playing on the X360... you have access to the multiplayer and can even play with your friends on the X360 :)

No, it was a feature people didn't use because people didn't use it. People look to new/recent games for their gaming fix, they rarely, if ever, look back. Having the feature is a nice gesture but an unnecessary one at best.

I still remember having my Fat PS3 lying about. I think I played PS2 games on it twice or so before completely making the swap to PS3 games. Since then my PS2 collection has just been collecting dust, and I certainly don't feel like revisiting it any time soon.

If it costs them both time and money which could've been spent on other features/games then I'd much rather have them do that instead of wasting those resources on a feature that's more for show than it is actually useful.