Sony Explains Why PS4 Will Not Get Backward Compatibility

I really hope this will let Microsoft regain some market . I can't stand Sony circlejerk trying to prove themselves that somehow X1 is that much worse than PS4.

visualnelqk.png

The ps4 is better though in the majority of games GTA was 1080 30 on both consoles

Did you feel the same way about Microsoft last gen?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

thats a shitty argument...basically i want my pc to make coffee so if it dont its shit...what?

I don't think so.  911 is a feature, it's real and I pay for it.  Despite the ability to go with alternative providers that are less costly who do not have 911.  I paid for it on lan phones, cellphones, and now that there are little ones around lan phones again.  As opposed to your example that doesn't link one generation of a companies console/product/service to the next but pulls out a coffee maker as a complete odd ball.

It's one thing to say its hard to do, or costly.  It's quite another to tell people what they want is not what they want.  Just watch when PS2/3 first announced that they were going to have BC, and now with MS.  Don't have some rep try to tell us the people cheering are too stupid to know what they like.

At the conference they stating inserting the Xbox 360 disk will prompt the Xbox one to download the game. It's a port of the Xbox 360 game, not emulation.

It is emulation, the emulator only runs on digital copies, likely so that you use the most updated version of the title

They specifically said no development time is needed, you only have to approve it to be backwards compatible

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It is emulation, the emulator only runs on digital copies, likely so that you use the most updated version of the title

They specifically said no development time is needed, you only have to approve it to be backwards compatible

Why is it that when you insert a disk you must download a digital version of the game? I can see no reason unless there is some sort of modification to the game. 

Why is it that when you insert a disk you must download a digital version of the game? I can see no reason unless there is some sort of modification to the game.

Disc is used to authenticate that you actually own the game.

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Disc is used to authenticate that you actually own the game.

Why not just use the disk entirely, seems like a waste of space to download a xbox 360 game. 

so it's blah blah blah, ......emulating is inefficient and you ain't going to be able emulate the cell processor on a x86 based system not the ps4 and maybe not even on an i7, emulating gamecube is already pushing hardware, although that is reverse engineered 3rd party emulation, 

Like I said it's most likely so that you are using the most up to date version so that they don't have to do bug fixes on old builds

(although they may recuperate some of the costs due to increased sales of Xbox One due to now having backwards compatibility.)

Doubt this will play a role. Traditionally console makers either make negligible profits or even losses on their consoles.

Words. People just want to have it, to have it. I hate generalizing but I'm going to anyway. 80% of the people who want B/C won't even use it.

I don't think so. 911 is a feature, it's real and I pay for it. Despite the ability to go with alternative providers that are less costly who do not have 911. I paid for it on lan phones, cellphones, and now that there are little ones around lan phones again. As opposed to your example that doesn't link one generation of a companies console/product/service to the next but pulls out a coffee maker as a complete odd ball.

It's one thing to say its hard to do, or costly. It's quite another to tell people what they want is not what they want. Just watch when PS2/3 first announced that they were going to have BC, and now with MS. Don't have some rep try to tell us the people cheering are too stupid to know what they like.

Actually all phones are required by law to have the ability to call 911...If someone has been selling it to you then...In fact you cam even use phones that currently are on no provider to call 911.

Maybe the next system they will think about these three things:

• Backwards compatibility
  • Multiple player support on console (I mean plug to controllers in and play on the same console with different accounts)
  • Higher performance (maybe get rid of real useless features that shouldn't be on a console that costs it its performance and graphical power)

The Sony guy is right: it's a feature many people want and scream for, but they don't use it, or they use it for a short time and never really use it again.

At least from what I have seen in my own experience he is right anyway

Well...I'll tell you right now, if my PS3 played PS2 games, I would be playing the hell out of it. If my PS4 (I'm getting hopefully soon) played PS3 games, I'd play the hell out of it too (Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, BF etc).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

They don't mention that it's pretty much impossible to emulate the Cell architecture on x86, but instead use it to say it's not a useful feature?

Because they know majority of their customers and other console gamers are too stupid to know what they are saying. I'm not saying all console gamers are stupid, I'm just saying most of them are.

I own a 40GB phat model, it has the die shrunk RSX GPU though so is not like the older phat's at all, it runs great!

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

So Xbox One has limited Backwards comparability similar to that of the Xbox360 and in the entire time of owning a 360 I never played a single original Xbox game on it. I also never played a single PS2 game on my PS3 because it was just as convenient and looked better emulated on a PC. Although I do wish I could play Puppeteer(PS3) but I guess I'll just have to wait for to come out on PSnow.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I always shake my head at those that always cry about backwards compatibility and ask "What's stopping you from continuously using / keeping your old generation console?"  Or if people did trade it in, just get a used one for cheap. 

I still have my PSX, PS2, and old Nintendo consoles to cover my bases for some retrogaming / 100% backwards compatibility.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I always shake my head at those that always cry about backwards compatibility and ask "What's stopping you from continuously using / keeping your old generation console?"  Or if people did trade it in, just get a used one for cheap. 

I still have my PSX, PS2, and old Nintendo consoles to cover my bases for some retrogaming / 100% backwards compatibility.

Because having every single device separate is the obvious solution - some people want everything in one device.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Actually all phones are required by law to have the ability to call 911...If someone has been selling it to you then...In fact you cam even use phones that currently are on no provider to call 911.

All voip 911 calls are handled differently then 911 via incumbents.  And more importantly to me in all honest is power outages don't necessarily bring down phonelines like cable or VOIP phone services. Having children jump through extra hoops to accommodate VOIP service provider network during an emergency 911 call is not something I find acceptable.

It's better than it used to be in Canada, but still not good enough yet.  So yeah I pay for 911, both in a fee/tax and for having a service with a provider I wouldn't otherwise be with.

Besides, it was just meant as an analogy .

Lol, i can't wait to play cod 4 and blops 2 on my XBOX ONE too bad sony players won't be able to.

Yeah, we'll be playing them on glorious PC instead.

"Rawr XD"

911 is a feature on phones that I don't use often either, what's your point? I want what I want, and if I only use it once or twice then I'm still able to use it. Backwards compatibility is particularly awesome when generation changes happen since users won't be stuck with having just 1 game for the first year or X months and can hit up their other titles without turning their entertainment system/theater into a mess of shit cables everywhere.

Comparing 911 on a phone to backwards compatibility on a gaming console... I would say that is apples to oranges but I don't think that would suffice lol.

Comparing 911 on a phone to backwards compatibility on a gaming console... I would say that is apples to oranges but I don't think that would suffice lol.

Was going for a feature that I'd pay for, relative infrequently use and desire to have it.  Not so much the absolute need for it one over the other.  but yea, not the best picture to have painted for others.  Oh well.

The ps4 is better though in the majority of games GTA was 1080 30 on both consoles

Did you feel the same way about Microsoft last gen?

They are trading blows, differences are neglible . If anything, lack of AF in may PS games is more jarring for me as a PC player.

Last gen it wasn't that obnoxious . 

I still own PS3 as my Tekken Tag 2 machine ( I still can't forgive Namco for promising PC port ,then not delivering)

They are black plastic boxes performing like 750ti , they perform almost the same (for someone that is mostly gaming on r290x).

KcAeZE6.jpg

FIXED

I was showing how PS4 gamers act when talking about graphics.

PS Now is a joke. More like PS NO.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx