[Mini-News] Dogmeat the Fallout 4 dog cannot die

Bouzoo

For all you animal lovers that cringe every time someone hits your animal companion, you will be able to play this game w/o tissues, so rejoice! Your dog cannot die! Officially by Bethesda on their Twitter. Look how happy he looks. How could he die?

Confirmation came by way of the Bethesda Softworks Twitter account, citing Fallout 4 game director Todd Howard as the source. Simply, "Dogmeat cannot die."

Dogmeat was a key part of the impressive Fallout 4 E3 gameplay demo. You're able to give him commands and have him fetch you things, such as a combination wrench, as in the trailer.

Source and Bethesda Twitter

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Would've been more interesting if your dog was at risk too, TBH. 

Indeed, I would like that, but someone over at Bethesda doesn't want it.

That's w/o a doubt gonna be the most brutal mod of the year and every possible gaming site is gonna cover it.

That's w/o a doubt gonna be the most brutal mod of the year and every possible gaming site is gonna cover it.

Hell, I'd write the mod just for the lols. But knowing how this game is programmed, if the dog dies you'll probably break the entire game. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

This is amazing news. There's nothing I hate more than needing to babysit companions, and if on top of that the dog wound up dying I would put the game down and never play again. Dead dogs is where I draw the line, it would be like that futurama episode all over again.....

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

This is great news. Keeping a dog companion alive in a Bethesda game has always required far too much effort.

Lydia get's slaughtered: "No problem!"

Dog dies: "Animal abuse!" 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Why anyone would wanna kill something like a dog in a game is beyond me, this is good imo.

I take it you didn't play The Witcher 3.  There are so many wild dogs trying to attack you.....you end up killing quite a few dogs.

Why anyone would wanna kill something like a dog in a game is beyond me, this is good imo.

I would say it's more of a game/immersion breaking thing. Nothing like breezing through the game because your companion can take a rocket to the face and barely flinches.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

So it can tank aggro for you? Nice

I imagine it "passes out" in combat if it gets wounded, and revives after the combat period, same as important characters in fallout / elder scrolls that just fall down unconscious for a few minutes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I imagine it "passes out" in combat if it gets wounded, and revives after the combat period, same as important characters in fallout / elder scrolls that just fall down unconscious for a few minutes

Pretty sure it will just be this. I am replaying skyrim again with a mod that adds a dog companion and when its health reaches 1 it goes ragdoll and drops aggro.

Pretty sure it will just be this. I am replaying skyrim again with a mod that adds a dog companion and when its health reaches 1 it goes ragdoll and drops aggro.

yeah exactly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

mods will fix that

Hell, I'd write the mod just for the lols. But knowing how this game is programmed, if the dog dies you'll probably break the entire game. 

If Dogmeat can not die, that just means they designed parts of the game around him and he (and by extension other companions) will be necessary for certain puzzles that require two sets of hands snouts.

So I'd rather keep him like that, at least for a first playthrough.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

But what if you dont want a dog?

It's how the game is made, he will surely have some important parts to play, maybe puzzles as someone stated, missions, maybe he will even save you if you get captured. Not that you have a choice.

But what if you dont want a dog?

I'm pretty sure you can just send it to wait in base

It's how the game is made, he will surely have some important parts to play, maybe puzzles as someone stated, missions, maybe he will even save you if you get captured. Not that you have a choice.

you could just get him stuck in a wall.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

you could just get him stuck in a wall.

Good luck doing stuff only he can do then, I don't get know why you would wanna do that. Have you ever played a game where you have a companion before?

I'm happy about this, i didn't use dogmeat too much in fallout 3 and nv, it always ran into danger getting killed and forcing me to reload a save, so I often left it at home :I

Good luck doing stuff only he can do then, I don't get know why you would wanna do that. Have you ever played a game where you have a companion before?

Yeah, skyrim. I told her to go home, she just got in the way.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

What does that mean? I got just as attached to Dogmeat in other Fallout games as others did, but I wouldn't go as for to say that killing a dog is 'beyond me' like have you ever played something like GTA? Killing citizens in unavoidable, surely killing them is worse than killing a dog?

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014