biggest let downs in game sequels or remakes?

Mightyinvader

I'm talking a great game that got remade or had a sequel that just sucked absolute shit.

Resident evil 5 I'm looking at you.

Any ones you can think of? 

Was the game so bad you now never preorder?

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Bioshock 2 was pretty bad. The story was quite intersting, but the gameplay was horrible when compared to the original.

Postal 3 was also a big disaster.

I didn't preorder any of those games, I just bought them for a very cheap price. 

I rarely preorder any media, becuase I have no way of knowing if it's any good.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Assassin's Creed 4

Just call it Boats Creed, TYVM.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Postal 3 was also a big disaster.

This is Valve's biggest nightmare.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Borderlands the pre-sequal. I played a lot of borderlands 2 and I was really hoping for more of the same however the level design was poor and there was no end game, raid bosses etc. Over all the balance of the game has improved with dlc and fixes however it is just not as good.

Twitter | Steam |

I've heard that Civilization: Beyond Earth was remarkably terrible as it added barely anything to Civilization V.

And Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was a pretty good game, but while the Force Unleashed 2 was a lot of fun and better in many regards, I wish it were a lot longer.

Sig under construction.

Bioshock 2 was pretty bad. The story was quite intersting, but the gameplay was horrible when compared to the original.

I remember it as a pretty good game and pretty much the same as Bioshock 1.

Duke Nukem Forever was horrible...

BF4, did not even bother with Battlefield Hardline as did a lot of other players.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Well newest CoD let me down on campagne, I mean I still hope for a Ghost sequel

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I'm talking a great game that got remade or had a sequel that just sucked absolute shit.

Resident evil 5 I'm looking at you.

Any ones you can think of? 

Was the game so bad you now never preorder?

I like RE5 quite a lot, if you think of it as a good action co op game to play with a friend, then it's a different story.

I was quite let down by the Force Unleashed 2, most NFS, Fear 3, DRAGON AGE 2, Devil May Cry 2 and I'm sure there are many more but can't remember atm.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Duke Nukem Forever was horrible...

My main issue was how certain elements were either changed or dropped entirely from the first game.

Bioshock 2 pretty removed the open world from the first game, and it also downplayed a lot of the RPG elements that made the original unique.

And the selection of guns was so bad.

But it's in no way a horrible game. It's playable, and as I said, the story is extremely intersting.

And allowing you to dual wield plasmids and guns is a must. It's really hard to play the original after getting used to this system.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 remake, worst money I ever spent on anything since my Toshiba laptop. All races are in stupid highways, physics is broken and the game is insanely repetitive.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

<opinion>

Pretty much any Modern Military Shooter that you can think of - Halo, Arma, CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry, anything. They're all the exact same game with some upped graphics and different maps and missions. High-selling franchises like those are all just boring, which is why I try to focus on more indie games or classics, games that really define genres like Half Life, Borderlands and Bioshock.

</opinion>

Tony Hawk's Project 8. Ruined the whole franchise in my opinion.

Has to be Earthworm Jim HD, it just wasn't the same as the classic Mega Drive version. 

It seems i'm not the only one.

Resident Evil 5 and 6

Bioshock 2

Duke Nukem Forever

and the biggest pile of fucking garbage:

ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES. Wich many seems to forget is a CANON SEQUEL TO JAMES CAMERON MOVIE!!!

I would like some clarification from Volbert. The combat in Bioshock 2 was mostly the same that it was in the first game. Level design was about as good as be before. And basically the only thing that they changed was that hacking minigame. Other then that the gameplay was mostly the same and I would say that gameplay is the strongest point of Bioshock 2.

I would like some clarification from Volbert. The combat in Bioshock 2 was mostly the same that it was in the first game. Level design was about as good as be before. And basically the only thing that they changed was that hacking minigame. Other then that the gameplay was mostly the same and I would say that gameplay is the strongest point of Bioshock 2.

I thought I did clarify it.

But I should probanly go more in-depth. 

Here are my main issues

• Not as open a world. The original Bioshock had the feel of taking place in a city, while that feeling was partially missing in Bioshock 2. For comperision, the whole of Bioshock 2 feel like the last level of the original. Maybe not a linear corridor shooter, but definatly more restricted.
  • The gun selection. While the gun selection wasn't bad, it lacked the more intesting weapons from the first game, like the chemical thrower and the crossbow.
  • Lack of atmosphere (this is completly subjective (i guess the others are aswell)). Being a Big Daddy from the beginning simply isn't as eerie as being Jack. You feel very powerfull, and that takes away some of the creepiness of the first game. 
  • Scripted encounters. The first game followed a very strict non-scripted policy, with only a couple of scripted event (like being frozen after meeting Sander Cohen). This helped create the illusion of free roaming a city. In Bioshock 2 all the Big Sister events where scripted, which takes one out of that illusion. 
  • Finding fuel for your melee weapon. While this isn't as big a complain, it is annoying. A melee weapon should be your last resort, and therefor it shouldn't take fuel to get it going. It could potentially render you without any means of attack.

Also, when I say ´bad´ I don't mean it in a broader comparative sense, but only when it is compared to the original Bioshock. 

It's by no means a bad game when compared to Big Rigs or Chalie's Angels. It's just the weakest link in the series. 

It is also just my opinion. I can't in any way state 100% objectively that is is a bad game, since it does work and it does offer an entertainment value.

Dragon Age Inquisition. BIGGEST let down in my gaming career. Waited 3 fucking years for that piece of skyrim ripoff shit to come out. I started playing Dragon Age 2 just out of spite and disgust. 

I thought I did clarify it.

But I should probanly go more in-depth. 

Here are my main issues

• Not as open a world. The original Bioshock had the feel of taking place in a city, while that feeling was partially missing in Bioshock 2. For comperision, the whole of Bioshock 2 feel like the last level of the original. Maybe not a linear corridor shooter, but definatly more restricted.
  • The gun selection. While the gun selection wasn't bad, it lacked the more intesting weapons from the first game, like the chemical thrower and the crossbow.
  • Lack of atmosphere (this is completly subjective (i guess the others are aswell)). Being a Big Daddy from the beginning simply isn't as eerie as being Jack. You feel very powerfull, and that takes away some of the creepiness of the first game. 
  • Scripted encounters. The first game followed a very strict non-scripted policy, with only a couple of scripted event (like being frozen after meeting Sander Cohen). This helped create the illusion of free roaming a city. In Bioshock 2 all the Big Sister events where scripted, which takes one out of that illusion. 
  • Finding fuel for your melee weapon. While this isn't as big a complain, it is annoying. A melee weapon should be your last resort, and therefor it shouldn't take fuel to get it going. It could potentially render you without any means of attack.

Also, when I say ´bad´ I don't mean it in a broader comparative sense, but only when it is compared to the original Bioshock. 

It's by no means a bad game when compared to Big Rigs or Chalie's Angels. It's just the weakest link in the series. 

It is also just my opinion. I can't in any way state 100% objectively that is is a bad game, since it does work and it does offer an entertainment value.

These are some fair points against Bioshock 2. I played both a while ago so I do remember them as very similar but I guess they did have some very small differences in various elements that degraded the whole game a fair bit.

I would add to the open world feeling that while technically they were similar I think what made the first game feel more open is how the quests were built. In the first game it put you in a hub and you went to a different parts of the level and constantly returned to the hub. And the hub would also change depending on your progress. I do not really remember that Bioshock 2 ever did that.

And I think the fuel mechanic is OK. How else would you use the drill. Also when you ran out you could still hit people with it, you just could not drill them.

But how do you rank Bioshock Infinite against them. While it had an interesting story and it had an interesting way to tell it. The gaemplay there is the weakest. Only allowing you to carry 2 guns, no different ammo types, giving you walking vending machine constantly with you. And the levels were even more linear then in the second game. There was only one 2 hour part of the game that was kind of similar to that hub design that I talked about before.