biggest let downs in game sequels or remakes?

Mightyinvader

Every CoD after Modern Warfare 1

I'm gonna get a fair bit of hate on this, but I'm gonna go with Battlefield 3. I loved Bad Company 2 and played till i had everything for every class, but bf3 felt like a disappointment. Instead of focusing on destruction, it started to focus on customization. Most buildings are indestructible, while in BFBC2 you could blow the walls out of almost all buildings. By no means a bad game, the destruction was way below what I expected.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

These are some fair points against Bioshock 2. I played both a while ago so I do remember them as very similar but I guess they did have some very small differences in various elements that degraded the whole game a fair bit.

I would add to the open world feeling that while technically they were similar I think what made the first game feel more open is how the quests were built. In the first game it put you in a hub and you went to a different parts of the level and constantly returned to the hub. And the hub would also change depending on your progress. I do not really remember that Bioshock 2 ever did that.

And I think the fuel mechanic is OK. How else would you use the drill. Also when you ran out you could still hit people with it, you just could not drill them.

But how do you rank Bioshock Infinite against them. While it had an interesting story and it had an interesting way to tell it. The gaemplay there is the weakest. Only allowing you to carry 2 guns, no different ammo types, giving you walking vending machine constantly with you. And the levels were even more linear then in the second game. There was only one 2 hour part of the game that was kind of similar to that hub design that I talked about before.

While the finding fuel for the drill is realisic, I still found it annoying. 

While you could hit the splicers. that doesn't really seem like the point of a drill. 

There should have been a different way of handeling melee attacks. But as I said, it's mostly an annoyance than a game breaking mechanic. 

It's in no way comparable to having to blink in Alone in the Dark for example.

I would rank Bioshock Infinite the same as Bioshock 2.

The story is extremely intersting, but the gun game was extremely lacking, and while the levels felt open, they were forced on the player in a linear fashion. 

And It seemed like such a step back to only be able to carry two guns. 

What I really like when compared to the two previous games was the mobility Booker had on the battlefield. 

I really liked that vertical aspect of the major ´battlearenas´, and that you could move swiftly using the Sky-hook.

But the fighting in Bioshock Infinite also relied heavily on scripted events, which is a criticism that I would carry on from Bioshock 2.

Edit: 

You do raise a valid point on the open world aspect. Then I would criticise the way they designed mission rather than the level design.

But it is still a criticism. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Assassin's Creed 4

Just call it Boats Creed, TYVM.

Black flag was the best game in the entire series. It was so fun to sail around and have the shanty's playing while doing so.... Come at me. :P

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

haha

no one even mention SimCity (2013)

and most games listed are port consoles or just console games (pls don't ask why, this thread listed in pc gaming section)

as for me, most biggest let down are MMORPG titles, sequels usually kills previous game, and dies years after the release date because it just bad.

Battlefield: Hardline... No explanation needed, those who played it know why.

Carmageddon:Reincarnation, cars physics feel like u are driving on the moon when it comes to turning and breaking. (Played it 4 weeks ago, since then there was a patch so I have to try that but I fear that it hasn't changed much).

Counter-Strike: Source, very cartoony and all weapons behave totally differently from previous versions. CS:GO is best one, even beets 1.6 (in which I spent 3000+ hours lol).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

While the finding fuel for the drill is realisic, I still found it annoying. 

While you could hit the splicers. that doesn't really seem like the point of a drill. 

There should have been a different way of handeling melee attacks. But as I said, it's mostly an annoyance than a game breaking mechanic. 

It's in no way comparable to having to blink in Alone in the Dark for example.

I would rank Bioshock Infinite the same as Bioshock 2.

The story is extremely intersting, but the gun game was extremely lacking, and while the levels felt open, they were forced on the player in a linear fashion. 

And It seemed like such a step back to only be able to carry two guns. 

What I really like when compared to the two previous games was the mobility Booker had on the battlefield. 

I really liked that vertical aspect of the major ´battlearenas´, and that you could move swiftly using the Sky-hook.

But the fighting in Bioshock Infinite also relied heavily on scripted events, which is a criticism that I would carry on from Bioshock 2.

Edit: 

You do raise a valid point on the open world aspect. Then I would criticise the way they designed mission rather than the level design.

But it is still a criticism. 

Big daddies did use it's drill as a melee weapon in the first game as well. I think they wanted to give the player the same experience. But I also think that the game should have more options to go for a full on melee build with the perks and stuff. I think it did have some but not enough to go full on melee.

The sky-hook was better in the game compared to what I expected. It did have few pretty good arenas with those lines. But they also had a quite a few bad arenas where the line was just there as a "oh shit" button to get to some weapon or HP. Or to just get away from a huge bunch of enemies that were overwhelming the player. But since it was a fairly new mechanic I can forgive them that. At least all of that fitted in thematically. And the game went all out on that.

To many games do this but any game that doesn't put previous weapons/maps/cars into the new game at release to then put it out as DLC.

Use to be a time where the old models/maps etc use to be in sequel and then you would get updated versions as dlc.

Personally its games companies and there marketing schemes that make me disappointed now, can't blame the games.

<opinion>

Pretty much any Modern Military Shooter that you can think of - Halo, Arma, CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry, anything.

Uh, by Modern Military Shooter, do you mean ones developed/released these days or ones where the setting is modern. I'm assuming you mean the former (cause Halo and recent CoD additions).

Battlefield 4

(BF2 veteran here)

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gran Turismo 5. Mario Kart 7. Star Fox Assault. Elder Scrolls Online (bit that's not really a sequel though). The last 2 CoD games.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Bioshock Infinite was a massive let down, after all the hype and 10/10s i found it very medicore in the gameplay dept

Resistance 2 threw out everything that made the first one unique

Dead Space 3 did the same

Sim City 5 is the most dissapointing game ive ever played

The sims 3 had some problems that i thought made it weaker than 2

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

not just pc

ghost recon, rainbow six, battlefield, halo, pokemon

Battlefield: Hardline... No explanation needed, those who played it know why.

?

I ordered the digital deluxe eiditon and it seems like one of the best ganes I have played. Except the campaign

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Duke Nukem Forever

World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King

Age of Empires 3

Any Need for Speed after Most Wanted

Gothic 4

Dragons Age 2&3

?

I ordered the digital deluxe eiditon and it seems like one of the best ganes I have played. Except the campaign

Have u played BF 3 and 4 ? If u did then im very surprised with your reaction to the game.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Have u played BF 3 and 4 ? If u did then im very surprised with your reaction to the game.

Yes...

I have played bf2, bf3 , bf4

But not 1942 or bad company

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King

!!! BLASPHEMY!!

WoTLK  was hands down the best xpac with the exception of warrior T10. Outlands looked like a 4 year old drew on the walls with his own shit and a 3 crayons. 

Yes...

I have played bf2, bf3 , bf4

But not 1942 or bad company

U are one of few. Got nothing else to add so i leave it here :)

Skyrim was pretty shit after playing Oblivion

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

!!! BLASPHEMY!!

WoTLK  was hands down the best xpac with the exception of warrior T10. Outlands looked like a 4 year old drew on the walls with his own shit and a 3 crayons. 

Well.. I said that because WOTLK made me quit WoW and I havent played it since then. I really enjoyed TBC and there was something about WOTLK which really bothered me...

Well.. I said that because WOTLK made me quit WoW and I havent played it since then. I really enjoyed TBC and there was something about WOTLK which really bothered me...

I understand. You are not the first person I saw that said this by far. Been playing since vanilla and the only time I hated it was early MoP...

But from looks and detail from my personal experience, going from any zone in Outlands to Howling Fjord was mind blowing. The detail in the mountains and Utgar keep and the snowy tundra was just amazing. Pretty much every zone looked incredible compared to the cartoony shitty no detail TBC xpac IMO. Same emotion for MoP in Jade Forest. Just lush green trees and grass and mountains and building etc etc. it looked beautiful. Then T14 dailys hit..... /cancel sub

Black flag was the best game in the entire series. It was so fun to sail around and have the shanty's playing while doing so.... Come at me. :P

I really really liked that game too!