New Render Farm featuring 72 CPU Threads

@LinusTech Wouldn't the zip ties melt with the heat?

The melting point of that kinda plastic is well over 100C. I'd be more concerned about your CPU at that point, never mind the zip ties.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

oh, but the reviews for that phone were already out on May 9th, Linus was almost 2 weeks late on the review, can it still be considered embargo video even if the product was with linus before the release but released later on vessel ? 

The NA embargo date we were given was May 18. Not sure what to tell yah :P 

I don't know were to start. I'm a long time LTT watcher and I really enjoyed the content over the years. Only recently I joined the forums, mostly because of the awesome giveaways. I admire and respect the progress Linus and his team made towards being one of the, if not the biggest Youtube tech channels (to my knowledge that is). Linus used to be cool and relatable, now he's just a cocky, ''hold it with three fingers and shake it vigorously'' kind of a guy. Having that said I must now voice my sincere opinion.

I'm just gonna say it. The only INSANE thing in this video is the blatant disrespect for high tech components and the kind folks that sent you (presumably free) latest and greatest in computer technology. You're staking the worlds most powerful GPU on the market and using it as a counter weight when the big percentage of the viewers can barely afford an enthusiast grade graphics. The highly praised immature ''ghetto'' problems solving seen in this and some other videos is just nerve wrecking.

Ghetto style repair is welcome and useful for when your motorcycle breaks down in a third world country and you need to get to the closest village to get a half decent repair done. It has no place in this builds. The worst thing is that this methods are encouraged and regarded good and practical alternatives to a proper problem resolution. Maybe Intel should take a similar approach when making your Xeons – how 'bout them apples.

Just a quick note about zip ties, plastic mechanical properties change dramatically (exponentially) when exposed to even little temperature changes compared to metals. Plastics also feature other temperature and pressure accelerated processes. Its quite fascinating how plastic will go out of its way to release any internal stress and/or pressures. It a totally different ball game.

I mean how long would you have to wait for the correct mounts to arrive. C'mon guys, you used to be better than this. As of lately more and more videos give me the chills. I understand that the pressure to produce daily videos is high and it is hard to come up with original material all the time, but still. I just … I can't … screw it. And whats up with all the sexual jokes all the time, not everyone watching is 12 years old. People and myself included are sick of it. Its like watching a single episode of Seinfeld every day for 5 years, jokes get old fast.

You could argue that the whole channel is about improvisation, fun and creative problems solving (or by my opinion creative problem making down the road) but you just can do stuff like that on your level. I hope that this doesn't come out as an attack on someone's way of thinking and personality. Nor should said person change just because one guy on the forums thinks his actions reflect badly on him.

This is a first time for me to comment on any video on the internet, and I probably spent way to much time composing this post. I apologies for spelling errors and such since my native language is not English. Hopefully this post brings a smile to someones face if nothing more =).

Best of luck to everyone at LTT and have a nice day.

I must know what song is playing at about the 3:00 mark

Tried the songs in the description, couldn't figure out which one it was.

Edzel says it's "Toxic Tom - Keep Your Eyes on the Horizon."

Edzel says it's "Toxic Tom - Keep Your Eyes on the Horizon."

Thanks. No idea how you guys find stuff like that, but keep up the great work.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The NA embargo date we were given was May 18. Not sure what to tell yah :P

what he said

Thanks. No idea how you guys find stuff like that, but keep up the great work.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I have never seen so much money being used like that...  :o I don't even have a titan and linus uses them as counter weights  :(

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

1. Do as we say, not as we do. 

2. This is the tech version of Jackass. 

3. Stop crying that Linus gets to play with expensive gear. Start your own channel and have OEMs send you stuff and you can do whatever too, you think they don't know the kind of shit Linus will do when they agree to send him stuff? 

God, we could use the salt from all your tears to clear the roads of every winter country on this planet. 

There are plenty of channels where people destroy shit for the sake of destroying it, not to come up with rather amusing ways around problems. Yes, Linus could've waited for Noctua to send proper hardware but is that the kind of person Linus is? No, he isn't. Only now its an issue when ht gets to play with expensive equipment, it wasn't a problem when Linus was "poor" and didn't get Titans and 2699s to screw around with. 

You people are amusing. 

-snip-

You forgot the part where people are attacking him because he "broke" the board, whereas he didn't broke anything and people just can't wait few days for part 2 but instead go full retard.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

is no one gonna mention the sudden mic change for the sponsor spot @ the begining? cause omg I thought my headset died and I was all crie

Imitable - capable or worthy of being Imitated or copied (adjective)

Just watched part 2 and Linus said he is going to show us the rendering times etc, are you guys going to be doing a before and after so we can see how much of a difference this new hardware makes?

1st, motherboard is E-ATX board, 12" x 13" bigger then ATX & i think you know because the Asus Maximus Rampage V is that size too.

2nd, you forget to check the manual on supermicro for POST codes & errors. also should have called or check with supermicro for a heatsink instead taking out the cpu mount. link here for more information. (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRH-iT.cfm).

3rd, retail consumer grade is different from server/IT ones when it comes to support & compatibility.

4th, i usually keep cable ties around for cable management on new build. i dont use the included plastic twisted ties in package & throw them away.

ill wait for your 2nd video on this. good try!!!

If he wasn't going to use the correct mounting hardware, wouldn't he have been better off just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU and putting a brick on top of it if he didn't think the weight of the heatsink provided enough mounting pressure? Sounds better than removing the socket which holds the CPU in precisely the right spot.

If Intel keeps sending Linus Xeons and motherboard manufacturers keep sending him expensive motherboards, I guess we'll know that they don't have a problem with this (or that they at least think it's worth the public exposure).

Just watched part 2 and Linus said he is going to show us the rendering times etc, are you guys going to be doing a before and after so we can see how much of a difference this new hardware makes?

Mm, I guess. But also, this hardware allows us to do something we didn't do before so... I don't know.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

Render farm and not using a quadro?... Cutting corners?

But why not look at quad CPU motherboards if you're setting up a render farm?  

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

BeSbjiW.png

I usually don't comment on videos or discuss them in the forums, but this one ended without any resolution and I was curious to see what kind of recommendations was being suggested. Instead it's all this criticism about how Linus has changed, and disregard for equipment, etc.

I'm not trying to start an egotistical debate, I'm not saying anyone person is wrong or right, and I'm not disregarding someone's opinion. I just wanted to give credit to Linus and the team for a job well done. It's become a morning routine to watch the daily LTT product reviews before work, usually skimming through if it's not applicable to me personally. However, these experimental DIY's and segmented series videos are treasures! They're more personable and give me a sense of what it's really like at the LMG offices. This 17 minute video was a great example of everyone's talents in problem solving, creativity, and editing.

When I first found Linus, I was looking for reviews of potential hardware for my build. I thought he was cocky, and I really disliked his intensity. I rediscovered the channel with his CES 2015 coverage (and destruction), and I thought he was hilarious! I got to see him interact with people and realized I had misjudged him. I then discovered the new team and all the people working at LMG- been hooked every since. 

</end rant>

Again, I just wanted to give props to everyone for their hard work and keep doing what makes you happy!

Have enjoyed most of the LTT videos, part 1 just made me frustrated.  Ghettorigging stuff is fine with consumer level stuff, enterprise stuff, not so much.  Be patient and just wait for the damn retention brackets.

I did sub to vessel just to watch part 2, couldn't go another day waiting to see how badly he screwed his cpus and mobo.  Glad to see that he didn't, though wasn't surprised to see that none of the hardware worked as planned.  They aren't kidding when they release HCLs for RAM, CPU, and expansion cards for enterprise motherboards.

Cpu coolers are on... This is going to be a long series.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Linus I loved this video of yours. I like your relaxed attitude towards even the most expensive hardware and the out of the box thinking. I used the zip tie trick with the Pentium 4 back in the days because Intel's push pins always used to break easily. Please more videos like this. And please more Titan X as paper weight - that was goofy fun.

The title should be "how to half ass with enterprise level hardware".

Linus needs a channel dedicated to his half ass builds. Channel super fun is boring, channel half ass could be entertaining.

I don't think Linus did anything half ass. He is just trying to be creative and zip tie will work for him because I have personally done it as well.

Also in general, would seeing their boss being so cavalier with components lead to employee carelessness? Is there any kind of meeting where Linus spells out that while he may do it for the show, they (employees) shouldn't be careless with the equipment?

I watch Linus exactly because he is a straight shooter. There are already lots of Channels that spend too much time on micro cosmetics. If Linus starts making videos on PC Cosmetics - I would immediately unsubscribe. Linus spends more time "under the hood" and isn't afraid to get dirty

Why the fuck would you ghetto mount heatsinks to 4500$ CPUs? I mean come on! I dont even know what to say...

Because it works. He just won't have optimal heatsink contact but it will be sufficient to prevent thermal throttling.

Render farm and not using a quadro?... Cutting corners?

But why not look at quad CPU motherboards if you're setting up a render farm?

why would they use quadros? It is not like many (if any) of the media encoders would benefit from a Quadro driver?!

Quad-CPU?

Because motherboards and CPUs are even more expensive?

Why stop with 4 CPUs and no to go with a 8 CPU config?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Why stop with 4 CPUs and no to go with a 8 CPU config?

Actually both of you are wrong. Xeons use bus rings for interprocess communication in a multi-socket configuration. Intel's current top tier chipset only goes upto 4 physical sockets (Cray's Titan uses that with fibre interconnects) - but quite frankly this is well beyond the scope and understanding of LTT's audience and perhaps even LTT itself. I believe Anandtech has an article on this somewhere on their web where they talk about the limitations of Numa Architecture and other SMP variants but as far as I remember it was not an easy read (material sciences and computer sciences was involved).

inb4 Noctua or Intel makes a video to tell everyone NOT to do what Linus did......

haha I can't tell which of his ideas are more cringeworthy, this or the whole room watercooling thiing.

haha I can't tell which of his ideas are more cringeworthy, this or the whole room watercooling thiing.

I would pick this but this was still so much fun. I am surprised with the number of dislikes on youtube though. It's staggering. I guess Linus may need to re-evaluate the approach for this specific video for the sake of youtube noobs.

Would be goofy fun to see linus do a Gaming performance scaling from two cores all the way upto 36 physical cores on this beast rig. I would reckon diminishing return after 4 cores but heck I think this might be up his ally.