Chip credit cards coming to the USA. Wait what?

LukaP
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
ltp47.jpg

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/heads-americans-heres-credit-cards-changing-2015/

As they are now, US credit cards have a magnetic strip that contains all the info about them, such as expiration date and card number. When you swipe one at a retailer, all that info is transferred to them so they can authenticate your purchase. When you shop online, you obviously can’t physically swipe your card, so you enter the card number, expiry date, and the secure code so you can be charged correctly.

Are you dudes for real? Thats like, 80s tech right there.

Chip-card.jpg?4662b7

October 1, 2015 is the deadline for businesses to start accepting the new chip cards and for providers to give them out to their customers. If a business chooses not to upgrade to the new readers and your credit card information is stolen at that store, for example, the business is responsible, not the card company. You won’t experience any changes in liability from the migration, but payment will be a little different.

Yes, the difference will be you will put the chip in the machine.

To avoid forcing people to remember yet another password for their credit cards, the US will be starting with the Chip and Signature method, more reminiscent of the current method. This less-secure protocol simply uses your signature to authenticate purchases, which isn’t great because many retailers don’t even bother to check if the signature on the card matches the one you give them.

Aaaaand there goes the new security... Is it really that hard to remember 4 fucking numbers?

Now seriously, you guys have got to stop prouding yourselves on the advanced nation you are. In the last year ive seen so many things in which you are decades behind even Slovenia, and damn are we not an advanced country. Get your shit together and tell the idiots up top what you want.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

And in Denmark we are moving away from chips credit cards and implementing NFC chips in them insted.

I'm also baffled by the signature methode. Last time I visted the US, I could write whatever siganture I wanted. Nobody checked if it was correct.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The chip system has been in place for like what 5-10 years now in a lot of places....

They should just jump past it and go directly to eye scanning or some other bio-metric  :P

mmmm most of my Chase and Amex cards already have a chip in them, but I haven't encountered a single store that uses them lol. 

Finally, I hope my bank changes to these new cards when they start being issued out.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yay! Maybe I wont get my card stolen on a yearly basis anymore. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hell my card has had paywave for around 4-5 years and a chip since I first got my card a little over 7 years ago.

It's been a very long timing for the states.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Yeah ... basicaly the US is one of the reason why we still have magnetic stripes on our credit cards in Europe.

And those magnetic stripes are one of the major flaws that lead to credit card data theft.

_____

my data got stolen once ... after a trip to New York, someone tried to purchase something in California. MasterCard acted quick. No damage done.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

We've had this in Canada for so long..

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

And we let this country be a superpower why?

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

Better late than never eh? Still, take your sweet time about it America. Plus the chip and pin method is far safer than a signature, because the cashier doesn't need to check the pin, the machine does it for you, eliminating another point of fraud. This is no safer than the current implementation. 4 digits is bloody easy to remember, even for those mentally challenged.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Better late than never eh? Still, take your sweet time about it America. Plus the chip and pin method is far safer than a signature, because the cashier doesn't need to check the pin, the machine does it for you, eliminating another point of fraud. This is no safer than the current implementation. 4 digits is bloody easy to remember, even for those mentally challenged.

ERMAGERD BUT I DONT WANT TO REMEMBER IT BECAUSE IT TAKES AWAY MUH FREEDOMS AND LIBERTIES

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Just what. I got my first card 7-8 years ago, that one had a chip, never used anything else my self.

I remembered not liking having to swipe when I was in the states last year

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

And in Denmark we are moving away from chips credit cards and implementing NFC chips in them insted.

I'm also baffled by the signature methode. Last time I visted the US, I could write whatever siganture I wanted. Notbody checked if it was correct.

I used to draw things, now I just write squiggles. 

What the f@#%?? Seriously? USA don't even have a chip for cards? In my country we already use chip with magnetic strip + 6 number pin.

And judging from other comments here, is it that hard to remember your pin?

Paywave, NFC payments for $50 $100 or less, been on our cards for a bit.

Even we got NFC (iirc its up to 15€ here) cards last year as well... and everyone in europe knows the only thing this country has in terms of technological advancements is the most tractors per capita

Paywave, NFC payments for $50 $100 or less, been on our cards for a bit.

pretty much assumed that the customer is going to paypass when you hand over your card now lol

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

been using the chip here for ages.

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

There was a pompous American in my town in Norway during some big convention who made a big fuss in the local newspaper about how incensed he was that "our stone-age town" wouldn't accept his VISA or Mastercard anywhere he went.

I guess someone had to explain to him that we do take VISA and Mastercard everywhere, just not his stone-age variant of it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Sounded good at first but they blew it with the PIN Chip + Signature part.
Just have people remember 4 damn numbers. It is not that hard and increases security tremendously.

Sounded good at first but they blew it with the PIN + Signature part.

Just have people remember 4 damn numbers. It is not that hard and increases security tremendously.

you mean Chip + Signature :P go back to bed mate :)