Chip credit cards coming to the USA. Wait what?

LukaP
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
ltp47.jpg

And in Denmark we are moving away from chips credit cards and implementing NFC chips in them insted.

I'm also baffled by the signature methode. Last time I visted the US, I could write whatever siganture I wanted. Nobody checked if it was correct.

I live in the US and had a friend who would sign his bills with smiley faces or inappropriate words and no one ever batted an eye.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I live in the US and had a friend who would sign his bills with smiley faces or inappropriate words and no one ever batted an eye.

Inb4 CNN:

"Credit transaction has to change, again. Due to the recent credit card information theft and due to the loose credit card security in America."

Better late than never eh? Still, take your sweet time about it America. Plus the chip and pin method is far safer than a signature, because the cashier doesn't need to check the pin, the machine does it for you, eliminating another point of fraud. This is no safer than the current implementation. 4 digits is bloody easy to remember, even for those mentally challenged.

Wait, YOU HAVE TO SIGN?!?!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Are we EVER going to stop letting old people run the world? They clearly have no idea what they're doing when it comes to technology.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

as an american. I already have this feature. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

My Citibank credit card has had chip tech for a while:

Sample image:

mpc_thank_you_rev.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Jesus guys! Why all the hate on us Americans? Its not our fault it has taken over 5 years since the change was approved for credit card companies and corporations to get off their asses. The deadline is October this year, and every company just wants to wait till the absolute last second. My employer has had the machines for about a year now, but never updated the software to accept the chips. Lazy corporations is not our fault.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

Are we EVER going to stop letting old people run the world? They clearly have no idea what they're doing when it comes to technology.

That is indeed the big issue.  IMO anyone over 35 shouldn't be allowed to have any important part in technology-related legislation/decisions (I'm over 35 myself and already find it hard to keep up with technology despite being interested in it)

They've been rolling these cards out in America for awhile now, this isn't necessarily news, just a reminder.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The US is embarrassingly behind on contactless payments. I guess everyone there has a thumb up their asses on rolling out this tech. Canada has been sitting here, NFC ready, for years now. 

I guess the one good thing the US is ahead of us in is the art of blowing shit up. But I can't exactly use a AMRAAM to pay for my groceries now can I? 

But I can't exactly use a AMRAAM to pay for my groceries now can I? 

Oh you sure as hell can. I would totally trade it for a loaf of bread.

ltp47.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

That is indeed the big issue.  IMO anyone over 35 shouldn't be allowed to have any important part in technology-related legislation/decisions (I'm over 35 myself and already find it hard to keep up with technology despite being interested in it)

Age doesn't mean you don't understand technology. The only reason many old people don't understand it is because they choose to not keep up. There are plenty of people 35+ that have great grasp on technology even in government.

When it comes to those in government, half the time its more to do with political BS and less to do with not understanding the issue. (AKA being paid off.)

Bill Gates turns 60 this year and he's still involved in a ton of great projects involving technology.

Elon Musk turns 44 this year and look at everything he's doing, no explanation needed.

Satya Nadella turns 48 this year and he's breathed an entirely new life into Microsoft for the better.

Larry Ellison turns 71 this year and was CEO of Oracle until just last year.

Tom Wheeler is 69 and look at what he did for the Internet championing Net Neutrality and sticking it to the big ISPs.

Ron Wyden is 66, and is the senior U.S. Senator for Oregon and is well known for being pro-internet. (He fought against COICA, SOPA, and PIPA) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Wyden#Technology

There are also plenty of people under 35 that don't have a clue about technology as well.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Age doesn't mean you don't understand technology. The only reason many old people don't understand it is because they choose to not keep up. There are plenty of people 35+ that have great grasp on technology even in government.

When it comes to those in government, half the time its more to do with political BS and less to do with not understanding the issue. (AKA being paid off.)

Bill Gates turns 60 this year and he's still involved in a ton of great projects involving technology.

Elon Musk turns 44 this year and look at everything he's doing, no explanation needed.

Satya Nadella turns 48 this year and he's breathed an entirely new life into Microsoft for the better.

Larry Ellison turns 71 this year and was CEO of Oracle until just last year.

Tom Wheeler is 69 and look at what he did for the Internet championing Net Neutrality and sticking it to the big ISPs.

Ron Wyden is 66, and is the senior U.S. Senator for Oregon and is well known for being pro-internet. (He fought against COICA, SOPA, and PIPA) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Wyden#Technology

There are also plenty of people under 35 that don't have a clue about technology as well.

Okay, let me rephrase that:

In this technological age, why do we continue to allow people who don't  understand technology, to run the world?

In this technological age, why do we continue to allow people who don't  understand technology, to run the world?

The US Government did have a department to help them with technological matters, but it was scrapped and the US Government went back to the stoneage.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Now that makes much more sense :P

1) They've already been in power and haven't retired/died yet.

2) They have vast amounts of money.

3) They're getting voted in by people who are equally as ignorant about technology. :(

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Now that makes much more sense :P

1) They've already been in power and haven't retired/died yet.

2) They have vast amounts of money.

3) They're getting voted in by people who are equally as ignorant about technology. :(

Don't forget that a lot of families are in the Government.

PMSL

The US Government did have a department to help them with technological matters, but it was scrapped and the US Government went back to the stoneage.

Even if it wasn't scrapped, it would have been run by someone who knew nothing about technology. I remember recently a government bureaucrat defending his appointment to a position, in something he knew nothing about, by saying "it's better to know very little about what you're in charge of, it keeps you from getting bogged down in the details".

........that kind if idiocy is.......

Even if it wasn't scrapped, it would have been run by someone who knew nothing about technology. I remember recently a government bureaucrat defending his appointment to a position, in something he knew nothing about, by saying "it's better to know very little about what you're in charge of, it keeps you from getting bogged down in the details".

........that kind if idiocy is.......

Oh, they know about technology, they aren't stupid or overly simple.  They just don't want it to get in the way of whatever their current agenda is.

This idea that old politicians don't understand technology or it's importance is quite the fallacy.  They get it, Most of them are only where they are today because they embraced technology and understood it's importance in business.   Most politicians are either very successful business people, or in the case of labor Australia union reps.  You don't get to be a successful in business if you don;t understand technology and or it's importance. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh, they know about technology, they aren't stupid or overly simple.  They just don't want it to get in the way of whatever their current agenda is.

This idea that old politicians don't understand technology or it's importance is quite the fallacy.  They get it, Most of them are only where they are today because they embraced technology and understood it's importance in business.   Most politicians are either very successful business people, or in the case of labor Australia union reps.  You don't get to be a successful in business if you don;t understand technology and or it's importance. 

True enough.

I'll rephrase again: When will we stop letting ASSHOLES run the world? (good enough?)

True enough.

I'll rephrase again: When will we stop letting ASSHOLES run the world? (good enough?)

When said assholes don't control all of the money.

PMSL

When said assholes don't control all of the money.

It's sad. Their money would be worthless if everyone else simply ignored them and worked with each other.