Chip credit cards coming to the USA. Wait what?

LukaP
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
ltp47.jpg

Even we got NFC (iirc its up to 15€ here) cards last year as well... and everyone in europe knows the only thing this country has in terms of technological advancements is the most tractors per capita

That would mean you have some land to cultivate.  :P  Ba dum tsss! I'm sorry, had to poke you neighbor. No hard feelings  :P

On topic: I've had a card with a chip for 10 years, and we're advanced as... actually we're not advanced.

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Seriously?

I have NFC (Paywave) for about 4 Years now and my first Bank-Card A DECADE AGO already had chip+pin!

And if some other countries (looking at you, United Kingdom, Ireland, and France), would get their act together, we could've gotten rid of cheques Years ago.

Yes, here's a culture-shock for ya:

Cheques are not accepted in almost all stores in Europe! Many Banks have also stopped issuing them years ago.

YAH FUCK AMERICA DUMB PATRIOTIC HICKS! /s

Although chip and pin would have been preferred, the market is moving to mobile payments so this will all be null and void soon enough.

As much as I like piling onto the old yankee-bash train, how bout we dial it back just a bit eh? :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Yes, here's a culture-shock for ya:

Cheques are not accepted in almost all stores in Europe! Many Banks have also stopped issuing them years ago.

What? I understand shop don't accept cheque. What about business to business transactions?

Ok....Australia's had chips in their credit cards for years, and America is only just getting them now?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

As much as I like piling onto the old yankee-bash train, how bout we dial it back just a bit eh? :P

how about no :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ok....Australia's had chips in their credit cards for years, and America is only just getting them now?

What do you expect? Australia gave the world wifi.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's almost like Murica is trying to make fraud easier

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

It's almost like Murica is trying to make fraud easier

Fixed!  :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Sounded good at first but they blew it with the PIN Chip + Signature part.

Just have people remember 4 damn numbers. It is not that hard and increases security tremendously.

That's so bloody idiotic on their part!

I can only remember once instance my family had issues with cards, and that was in Northern Ireland. My old man's South African credit card was signature based, and not a single place we went to used the system. It was Chip & PIN or GTFO.

Hell here in Ireland our cards are getting equipped with NFC as well. America really needs to get onboard with the rest of the world. A half arse Chip system is not going to cut it at all. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

So a lot of people dont understand why this is happening i think. A few years back they passed a law (set to activate in the coming year) in the US that basically said if any of your customers are victems of fraud the company will be liable for all damages incurred so long as the fraud couldve been prevented by using an authentication type like chip&pin.

Thats why a lot of people (including me) have been recieving new cards with the chips in the past few months, or whenever your card expires.

Yeah its old tech, and yes for now its chip&signature, but i discussed this with a few of my card companies and they stated that after a few years of roll out of the system they were planning to switch to chip&pin. This is partially because very few locations in the US actually have machines that support chip and pin (local supermarket just got all new machines just for that) and they dont want to roll out a system that can only be fully used in some locations. Other good news though is that many of these big banks/credit suppliers are offering money/discounts for businesses to get the machines at a cheaper price than they would normally.

Also people talking about NFC payments, most the stores do take NFC, but putting them in CC costs extra money and companies dont want to pay for that.

TL;DR: Yes its an old system, but its hard to roll out something like this across an entire nation the size of the US.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

So a lot of people dont understand why this is happening i think. A few years back they passed a law (set to activate in the coming year) in the US that basically said if any of your customers are victems of fraud the company will be liable for all damages incurred so long as the fraud couldve been prevented by using an authentication type like chip&pin.

Thats why a lot of people (including me) have been recieving new cards with the chips in the past few months, or whenever your card expires.

Yeah its old tech, and yes for now its chip&signature, but i discussed this with a few of my card companies and they stated that after a few years of roll out of the system they were planning to switch to chip&pin. This is partially because very few locations in the US actually have machines that support chip and pin (local supermarket just got all new machines just for that) and they dont want to roll out a system that can only be fully used in some locations. Other good news though is that many of these big banks/credit suppliers are offering money/discounts for businesses to get the machines at a cheaper price than they would normally.

Also people talking about NFC payments, most the stores do take NFC, but putting them in CC costs extra money and companies dont want to pay for that.

TL;DR: Yes its an old system, but its hard to roll out something like this across an entire nation the size of the US.

Most people don't care what forced the companies into finally doing it, they could have done it years ago, the rest of the world already has. There are no roadblocks to rolling it out due to size, because if 90% of America can upgrade their smartphone every year then half that number can afford a $100 EFTPOS machine every 2 years.  Hell I can even get this one and start charging anywhere I want. It's only $99.

I think the US is just scared of change, who else still uses feet and inch's? or miles and gallons?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can't remember the last time I used the chip in my card, it's been NFC for the last...4 years I think? Not entirely sure it's possible here to get a Visa, Mastercard or Amex that doesn't come with NFC.

And I'm in Australia.

Most people don't care what forced the companies into finally doing it, they could have done it years ago, the rest of the world already has. There are no roadblocks to rolling it out due to size, because if 90% of America can upgrade their smartphone every year then half that number can afford a $100 EFTPOS machine every 2 years.  Hell I can even get this one and start charging anywhere I want. It's only $99.

I think the US is just scared of change, who else still uses feet and inch's? or miles and gallons?

Im not saying its shitty that its taken so long, and will take longer to be fully rolled out. Im just saying there is reasons why it hasnt been done until they were forced to. And to a small business even 100 bucks a machine is more than they want to spend considering how shitty the market has been recently. There are businesses folding up all over the place and no one wants to spend money they dont have to.

I guess what people arent understanding is the reason it was never done before is because it didnt really matter to anyone before. If there was any fraud the companies and the users were reimbursed through a fund and everyone just moved on. Sure it was shitty doing paperwork for a month but after that no one cared. There was no reason to spend the money to upgrade the infrasturucre that 300m+ people used daily (not to mention tourism) because it wouldnt save money for the companies. What this law is doing is removing that incentive to push the industry forward. Now it will actually cost them money if something goes wrong.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Yeah, we've had that in Denmark for a long time. We are going to NFC payments now.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

To avoid forcing people to remember yet another password for their credit cards, the US will be starting with the Chip and Signature method, more reminiscent of the current method. This less-secure protocol simply uses your signature to authenticate purchases, which isn’t great because many retailers don’t even bother to check if the signature on the card matches the one you give them.

thats weird because Australia recently moved away from people signing as its easier to steal from and getting people to use a pin

Its all about those volumetric clouds

thats weird because Australia recently moved away from people signing as its easier to steal from and getting people to use a pin

Thats the point. They make it seem like its an advancement, but then do a retarded thing like that. Id rather not have a card than have one that works using a signature method

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Thats the point. They make it seem like its an advancement, but then do a retarded thing like that. Id rather not have a card than have one that works using a signature method

It's not even legal here for a signature card now I think about it. A few times after the switchover, my Amex reverted by default to signature, and a few days later American Express would phone me and abuse me for signing.

Wait what? I'm in South Africa and I haven't seen a card without needing a pin in 3 or 4 years! And we are so behind our machine still uses a dialup connection

Can we all just give the US a round of applause. *claps*

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I'm also baffled by the signature methode. Last time I visted the US, I could write whatever siganture I wanted. Notbody checked if it was correct.

Because no one cares.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

And in Denmark we are moving away from chips credit cards and implementing NFC chips in them insted.

I'm also baffled by the signature methode. Last time I visted the US, I could write whatever siganture I wanted. Nobody checked if it was correct.

Nobody in UK cares either, I don't even have a sig on my current card lol.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Lost my Chase Debit card a few weeks ago, got my new one and it had this 'revolutionary' tech in it.

Guess they weren't going to tell anyone about it or advertise it.

But seriously, how hard is it to remember your goddamn pin. If you can't keep your own debit card pin, ssn, and maybe one or two main passwords in your head, I dunno what to tell you.

And in Denmark we are moving away from chips credit cards and implementing NFC chips in them insted.

I'm also baffled by the signature methode. Last time I visted the US, I could write whatever siganture I wanted. Nobody checked if it was correct.

Confirmed, no one cares lol

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

As an experiment, somebody decided to draw nothing but penises as the signature for an entire month before finally the credit card company thought something was wrong with the signature.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |