AMD's Flagship Fiji / Fiji XT GPU w/ HBM will not be in the 300 Series, but rather a Titan-esque card!

BiG StroOnZ

rumors rumors rumors

still nothing officialy, still clickbait.

Well, that's kinda how it works around here. The big 3 (Intel, Nvidia, and AMD) don't even give us scraps of information before the release of products so we are forced to cling to rumors. Rumors force their hands and can sometimes drag an official response out of them if we're lucky. That and rumors give us something to bitch and bicker about amongst ourselves. Where would LTT be without chaos in the news section? At least it never gets boring around here...

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I find it hard to believe that AMD would rebrand Hawai as the 390 series. If they do expect market share to slip a bit more. Making it the 380 series makes sense; and that's how they will regain market some market share.

Yes, I'm such an extremist for thinking that a brand new series of GPUs should probably have at least one new product in it, what an outlandish position to hold.

It does, Fiji.  :rolleyes:

I don't see why, if they managed to squeeze 10-15% more performance out of Hawaii coupled with higher amounts of VRAM. I don't see how that is a failure, especially when they are going to offer multiple variants of the Titan-esque Fiji card (I'm assuming there is an air-cooled version for $700-750)

Well the top tier card for them would become their Fiji "Titan-like" card. So that wouldn't be considered a low. And I honestly feel like they are going to offer an Air cooled version of this Titan like card for $700-750. So basically it will be 390X and 390 for $500 and $300 respectively and then Air cooled Fiji Titan Killer card for $700-750 and then WCE of Fiji Titan Killer card for $800-850

How much will they cost? If the 390x (290x overclocked) costs anywhere near the 970, it'll get rekt by third party 970s...

Its not a complete refresh there will be new PCBs and and the god card as well.

Then they should just release their God card, enough with rebrand. You can't release a new series of cards but their all actually the old ones.

- snip-

Now @BiG StroOnZ is an AMD fanboy? This is tragicomically. When everyone one is an extremist (fanboy) in your eyes, maybe YOU are the extremist (fanboy). He has an EVGA 780 :lol:

Get Rekt mate.

Then they should just release their God card, enough with rebrand. You can't release a new series of cards but their all actually the old ones.

You seem to be missing the fact that they will have 8gb of vram, that means new pcbs, that means they might be able to add some new features on.

Get Rekt mate.

You seem to be missing the fact that they will have 8gb of vram, that means new pcbs, that means they might be able to add some new features on.

But there are already 8gb 290xs...

- snip-

I find it hard to believe that AMD would rebrand Hawai as the 390 series. If they do expect market share to slip a bit more. Making it the 380 series makes sense; and that's how they will regain market some market share.

Except that AMD cards going back to hd7000 series are all fully dx12 compatible, while nothing Nvidia have out is yet. Thats a strong selling point, regardless of a cards age. Yeah dx12 may not have an instant adoption, but again it's about marketing to the masses, not enthusiasts that want new, and want it now.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

This actually makes sense now, given the re-brands of the 300 series they already listed;

380/X = Tonga(285) re-brand

370/X = Pitcairn(270) re-brand

...and so-on. 

It makes sense then, that the 390/X will be Hawaii(290) re-brands.

I just hope they pick a good name for this new beast GPU. Only a couple weeks now before we find out. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It does, Fiji.  :rolleyes:

Have you even been reading this thread? The whole point of it (it's even summed up really succinctly in the title, you might want to take a moment to read it?) is that Fiji is not going to be in the 300 series. The entire 300 series is going to be a like-for-like renaming of the 200 series, and the one single Fiji card is going to be AMD's version of the Titan, sold for an exorberant amount of money and entirely disctinct from the R9 series of cards.

But you know... go AMD and all that. They can clearly do no wrong.

Yes finally, what I have been saying for the past two days has finally come to the surface:

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20510-amd-radeon-fiji-blir-haloprodukt-for-lyxlirare-och-entusiaster

Translated Source

So the other day I made a post about Hawaii making a re-entrance into the 300 series (seen here). The interesting part about this article was they included a chart that detailed all the cards that would be available for the 300 series in which many of them were re-brands. The interesting part was, now they had confirmed that Hawaii would make an entrance into the 300 series as a rebrand. With upped core clocks and upped memory clocks. So the question was, where is Fiji/Fiji XT going to go (the card that everyone has been calling the 390X). Because now it appears that the 390X and 390 are actually going to be Hawaii rebrands with increased core clocks and memory clocks (detailed in the other post). They never actually said this but they put a question mark. However, they did detail as we have seen a couple of weeks ago that the 380 is supposedly a Tonga rebrand, which although are OEM cards, still wouldn't make sense for them to alter the consumer versions. Why would they have the OEM cards as Tonga rebrands but the consumer cards as Hawaii rebrands (for the 380 and 380X). So therefore, the only conclusion that has come after this article appeared about Hawaii making a reentry into the 300 series is that; the 390 and 390X will be the Hawaii rebrands. And the Fiji / Fiji XT card we have been hearing about with 4096 stream processors, 8GB HBM memory, WCE (water cooled edition), 8.6 TFLOPS of compute performance will be AMD's version of a Titan! AMD has released a statement saying that they no longer want to be viewed as a cheaper company. Here is a perfect chance for them to conquer that concept. If this Fiji chip delivers on performance, Titan X level of performance (or even better than), they have no other option to release it for anything other than a couple hundred dollars less than the Titan X. So they aren't undercutting themselves, but rather the Titan X. So should this card be segregated from the rest of the 300 series. It would have it's own similar Titan name; like Leviathan, would have Titan X like performance or even possibly better than. Then we also saw that they want to release it around $850, instead of their typical pricing. So this would boost sales because people would be like "I can either get a NVIDIA Titan X for $1000-1200 or I can get an AMD Leviathan for $850-900" Definitely seems like a no brainer decision at that point for people planning to spend that much money anyway. And on top of that it also puts the card in a price bracket that people who cannot afford a Titan could actually afford a Leviathan (or Fiji / Fiji XT). 

If it has 8bs, amd has confirmed that fijji is limited to 4gbs. This suggests double GPU. end would explain the price.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Yes but a new PCB means new coolers from everyone and all the manufactures will be able to make 8gb cards so more competitive prices for us the consumers.

Still not enough difference for me.

- snip-

If it has 8bs, amd has confirmed that fijji is limited to 4gbs. This suggests double GPU. end would explain the price.

"One of our sources confirmed to us that the Radeon R9 390X will be a single GPU card (Fiji XT) with 8GB of HBM memory

AMD manages to integrate 8GB of HBM memory at its peak thanks to a series of improvements to the interposer TSV developed with SK Hynix: the technology in question is called "Dual Link Interposer" (from 4 to 8-Hi-Hi). With a Dual Link Interposing design, SK Hynix will be able to stack 4x (Dual 1GB HBM modules) via an Interposer (2.5D stacking).This will allow AMD to take advantage of a larger amount of memory without having to wait for the arrival of the HBM 2nd generation."

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355737-r9-390x-achieves-8gb-hbm-with-dual-link-interposer-not-hbm2/

How much will they cost? If the 390x (290x overclocked) costs anywhere near the 970, it'll get rekt by third party 970s...

I'd say about $450-500 for the 390x and $300-350 for the 390. I'm not sure about that, I feel like non-reference versions of the 390x and 390 will have higher core clocks than even the refresh is bringing.

Have you even been reading this thread? The whole point of it (it's even summed up really succinctly in the title, you might want to take a moment to read it?) is that Fiji is not going to be in the 300 series. The entire 300 series is going to be a like-for-like renaming of the 200 series, and the one single Fiji card is going to be AMD's version of the Titan, sold for an exorberant amount of money and entirely disctinct from the R9 series of cards.

But you know... go AMD and all that. They can clearly do no wrong.

Sounds like you are simply mad because it's out of your price range. Since when is $850 an exorbitant amount of money? 

I certainly expect the R9 390X to be a dual GPU config with 2x4GB.

However, HSA applications would have access to 8GB..

But will it run GameWorks?

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

But they did just re-release the 680 with a new name. The 770. And the 760 was basically a 670. So NVIDIA has done refreshes before. I bet my bottom dollar Maxwell becomes a refresh (1000 series) until Pascal is released.

The point I'm trying to make here is their God card will be their new silicon, and I'm sure the God card will have cut-down offerings as well. So while it may seem like AMD only has refreshes to bring to the table this 300 series. They are going to have an entirely new tier of cards that they never had before (for single GPU) in the $700-1000 range. Which is the range they should be focusing on if they want to compete with NVIDIA. Mid range chips are cool and all and most people can afford those. But it isn't a representation of your ability to manufacture beastly products. Which AMD doesn't really do. They have done dual-GPU cards before but they have never released a balls to the wall single GPU before. So by them releasing say an $850 Titan like card, and then per say a $750 Titan like card. They now have created a new price bracket that they never had before. This is good for profit margins. If you sell "X" amount of top tier cards you can make equally as much money if you sell many lower tier cards. So by them having an entirely different tier of cards. It's like adding a whole new form of income coming their way, meanwhile the lower tier products still are selling just fine (because they already compete with the competitors products and now as a refresh even better with binned chips with higher clockspeeds).

What about this....

Update (11:30 PM): It’s interesting just how greatly things can shift in only half a day. This morning 290X prices were $899 with Newegg having 5 models in stock. But as of late this evening prices have dropped rather quickly by $200, bringing them down to $699 (just $150 over MSRP). All the while however, Newegg’s selection has dwindled to just two models, showcasing just how high the demand for these cards is and how quickly buyers will snatch them up even when they’re still well over MSRP.

Freaking retail chains.....raising prices on cards that aren't anywhere NEAR what they cost. This just hurts MAD and the customer in the end.

Sounds like you are simply mad because it's out of your price range. Since when is $850 an exorbitant amount of money? 

Only to poor people who buy compulsively and are mad they can't impulse buy this. No offence, or offence. I don't care.

Premium goods, premium prices. 

Only to poor people who buy compulsively and are mad they can't impulse buy this. No offence, or offence. I don't care.

Premium goods, premium prices. 

Spending $850 in a single moment can never be an impulse buy. I just spent $1500 on a 5 day Royal Caribbean Cruise to Bermuda with my wife. It took me almost 2 years to save enough money, just to be able to spend $1500 on a vacation and then still have money in the bank leftover for "in case shit happens" which is another $4,000. So of course I could have saved $1500 quickly and just blown that money away on the Vacation, but what would have happened if I needed the money for something important? Like the catering for my Daughter's first birthday in June. That's another grand right there in food, what about that custom Elmo cake, party favors, decorations, that costs money too. This is all important stuff. Which is why you can never impulse buy if you only make "x" amount of dollars. You have to save over that amount, and then even some more on top of it.

I have my own separate savings account dedicated to computer upgrades right now and it is sitting at about $1400. But this money is completely separate from my daily savings. I only use it designated for computer upgrades. So someone like me can go out and "impulse buy" a $850 video card with that money because I saved up for it exclusively and I will still have $550 leftover for the 2560x1600 30" monitor I want to get after I upgrade my GPU. And even if I blow all that money away, it was a separate fun account for hobby stuff. Not my main savings account or my checking account. I still have money leftover after that's gone. Because when you don't make a lot of money you have to learn to save and be frugal. Which some people cannot accept. They cannot accept that they simply cannot spend more money than they make. Even if you have money saved, you always have to ask yourself, do I really have this money? Is it really mine? Can I really spend it right now especially if something goes wrong? Some people don't think like that. They get money, and it starts burning a hole in their pocket. I like buying stuff and all, but I much rather have money than stuff. That's how I've always been.

Just release the card. AMD's last flagship single graphics card was released way back in 2013.

Nvidia is shamelessly abusing their near monopoly and needs to be put back on the straight and narrow.