AMD's Flagship Fiji / Fiji XT GPU w/ HBM will not be in the 300 Series, but rather a Titan-esque card!

BiG StroOnZ

seems the convo got a little side-tracked and went into monitors and attacks,

instead of the topic. i'd say we'll keep it on that topic than derailing the convo

to anything else.

we know it is tough to do, but let's consider the other members of the community

and stay on-topic, much obliged.

Wait.... If the 390x is a 290x rebrand.... How is it going to compete with the 980?? 

The reason why the 390X will be more competitive is the 8gb of vram, it wont beat a 980 in gpu power but 8gb is going to be really handy in a year or two from now just look how much vram was needed 2 years ago to play games on ultra settings and how much you need now in comparison. 

Another point is if all the amd card manufactures have a reference PCB designs for a 8gb 290X then all of them will be able to make a 8gb card, this will make more competition, this results in lower prices for the consumer for a 8gb 290X, this also means cheaper water blocks, and better cooler options. Right now there are 11 manufactures who make 290X's but only 4 have cards that are 8gb, with the 390X all 11 of those manufactures will be making 8gb cards which means more selection and better cooling because they have probably picked up on the fact that the main criticism of the 290X was the heat so hopefully they develop better coolers for this rebrand.

Thinking about it I would love to see a gigabyte 8gb 290X with the cooler from a gigabyte G1 Gaming 970, imagine the overclocking potential on air . And this refresh will probably make them consider this (quote me on this when it happens).

I don't know about you guys. But I am pumped to see the prices drop on 8gb 290X's/390X's, triple surround 1440p at ultra gaming for lower prices here we come, this will breath some new life into AMD's market share for sure.

By being half the price with twice the memory, while (at reference 290x clocks) still holding 80-90% of a 980's performance, depending on resolution. If the memory is being bumped up to 6000Mhz, that could mean its better Ram, and might be nicely overclockable.  

It sucks that its a rebrand, but there's not much to worry about competing.

If they are selling the 390x for a little higher than the 290x at its current prices, that be nice...

They'd have to or it wouldn't get any sales because it's going to carry a premium when it first launches.

I wager they use the same tech they're using in the 285 to increase tessellation performance and add better and more consistent framerates in total.

Keen to see how much more performance it would have over the current 290/x cards at 1440p :huh:

<snip>

I'll definitely be picking up a 8Gb card this year (for Skyrim :lol:) but what I'm very curious with is that the 290x seems like it has the power to compete with the 980 all along....? Maybe...   

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

390X and 390 is a Hawaii Rebrand with higher core clocks and memory clocks (and 8GB of VRAM):

2i2bmvt.jpg

tsmc makes only nvidia cards ... global foundaries makes amd products... so this chart is all made up...

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

If it is about half the price of a Titan X or even a bit more than half, I'll take it under one condition... That games will be optimized! :D If this card is $600 and it performs slightly or on par with the titan x then nvidia might be shaking their trousers.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Yawn... rebrands.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If theyre only rebrands then why the 1 extra year hiatus?

R9 Over9000 Edition.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

waitwaitwait so:

290 -> 390

290x -> 390x

I'd pay the full price (>350€) for just an "overclock" but it's still the same card?

This changes everything... for the worse :\

eh I shouldn't rush to conclusion before actual benchmarks, but I don't like this rumor at all.

waitwaitwait so:

290 -> 390

290x -> 390x

I'd pay the full price (>350€) for just an "overclock" but it's still the same card?

This changes everything... for the worse :\

eh I shouldn't rush to conclusion before actual benchmarks, but I don't like this rumor at all.

But dat vram doe.

But dat vram doe.

yeah but 8gb of vram can be usel only under certain conditions that most people won't even need, you already saw the benchmark of the current 8gb 290x and they make just a small difference, anyway as I said we'll wait and see. Yes I pay close attention to those news 'cause I want to buy a new card and right now I'm trying to decide between 970 and a new amd card.

yeah but 8gb of vram can be usel only under certain conditions that most people won't even need, you already saw the benchmark of the current 8gb 290x and they make just a small difference, anyway as I said we'll wait and see. Yes I pay close attention to those news 'cause I want to buy a new card and right now I'm trying to decide between 970 and a new amd card.

Your going to need more then 4gb for ultra at 4K especially in a year from now.

Also surround 1440p needs more than 4gb.

The 970 in year will be hitting 3.5gb at 1080p ultra.

Rumours everywhere, not a credible source in sight. I will save my judgement for when they officially tell us something.

Your going to need more then 4gb for ultra at 4K especially in a year from now.

Also surround 1440p needs more than 4gb.

The 970 in year will be hitting 3.5gb at 1080p ultra.

as I said, that's a very limited case scenario, 'cause the 290x/390x won't even be able to run games at 4k at ultra details at a nice framerate on a single monitor, let alone in a surround display case, there are already benchmarks done with the 290x 8gb, it struggles in current games let alone in new ones. For a 4k triple surround gaming platform (or even a single 4k monitor with new games) you'd need the new amd top card or even a sli of those. If the 290x was rebranded as a 380x with a price of ~300€ bucks I'd be the first in line to buy it. Vram size is not a good indicator of a card's performance and we're not even considering dx 12 which will grant vram usage from all of the cards. We'll wait and see.

Can't be them, join them. 

But Titans already at the top, so what are they gonna name them after? 

/s 

veyron , oh wait...

lives on

BAKABT

as I said, that's a very limited case scenario, 'cause the 290x/390x won't even be able to run games at 4k at ultra details at a nice framerate on a single monitor, let alone in a surround display case, there are already benchmarks done with the 290x 8gb, it struggles in current games let alone in new ones. For a 4k triple surround gaming platform (or even a single 4k monitor with new games) you'd need the new amd top card or even a sli of those. If the 290x was rebranded as a 380x with a price of ~300€ bucks I'd be the first in line to buy it. Vram size is not a good indicator of a card's performance and we're not even considering dx 12 which will grant vram usage from all of the cards. We'll wait and see.

I was referring to the ridiculous dual or tri crossfire setups for 4k and triple 1440p surround, sorry for not specifying.

tsmc makes only nvidia cards ... global foundaries makes amd products... so this chart is all made up...

Nope. TSMC has made every AMD GPU so far.

I guess this goes to show that people care more about Names than the products. If you look at Nvidia's Maxwell lineup, you have from lowest to highest: 

750 -> 750ti -> 960 -> 970 -> 980 -> 980Ti (rumor) -> TitanX.

They could have done:

920 -> 930 -> 940 -> 950 -> 960 -> 970 -> 980, but suddenly the top card doesn't have that familar 1000 dollar smell to it. 

With the 600/700 Kepler series cards, GK110 was held back so that enthusiasts would buy up 680's, and then later those would get rebranded into 770's to make room for the actual top card, the 780ti, with the Titan being a niche card.

My point isn't to slam Nvidia for how they market their cards so they can charge more money for each tier, but to point out that Nvidia tend to stagger the release of an architecture over time. They catch the enthusiast wallets multiple times, and to the average pc gamer they see Nvidia as always releasing new cards. If anything, I am applauding Nvidia for a sound strategy, even if it is deceptive. the 980 could very well be called the 960, to leave room for the two cards above it, but again its all about the perception, and people are persuaded by cards that are put in a higher tier.

On the other hand, AMD tend to release the best from a new architecture right away, and then appear as though they are standing still for a couple years. AMD are then forced to rebrand whole series of cards to keep the ball rolling. 7970 becomes 280x. 290x becomes 390x. They "could" call the Fiji card a 390/x, or they can call it "Iceberg: the Titanic Destroyer" (as an example). Does it change the performance of the card? no. Does it allow AMD to increase the price on the top card? yes. 

I guess another point to ponder is that AMD design their stuff to be modular. The Fiji card is using the same architecture as Tonga (GCN 1.2), so in a sense AMD are not releasing a new GPU architecture this time around. They're just adding more cores and introducing a new kind of Graphic Memory.

TL;DR - Nvidia uses smart Marketing; AMD attempting to do the same.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Can't be them, join them. 

But Titans already at the top, so what are they gonna name them after? 

/s 

Hades; the card spawned from the 'fiery' pits of hell unleashing a torrent of 'heated' performance at the cards above it.....

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

If they have a "God" card I hope to "god" that it's like Fiji XT @~$850 with Fiji being 390x @~$500  and Hawaii XT being 390 for ~350 and Hawaii being 380x ... Tonga at 380 ect... I'm cool with that in all honesty just so long as I don't see Tahiti again... if I do it better be an entry model card like R7 365 or 360x

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Onward into the heart of battle

Fought the sons of Odin

Outnumbered many times

Still - they fought on

Blood poured forth from their wounds

Deep into the earth

Vultures waited for the broken shells

That once were bodies

Thus Odin alone would choose the day

They would enter Valhalla

And in their hour of need

He sent forth onto them The Berserker Rage

Now gods embed

They rose up from the ground

Screaming like wild animals

Such is the gift of absolute power

No blade or weapon would hurt them

They killed them and horses alike

And all who stood before them died that day

Hail Gods Of War

AMD Odin flagship GPU powered by Berserker Rage

Berserker mode being AMD equivalent of GPUboost that also increases thermal limits for more OC!

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

If they have a "God" card I hope to "god" that it's like Fiji XT @~$850 with Fiji being 390x @~$500  and Hawaii XT being 390 for ~350 and Hawaii being 380x ... Tonga at 380 ect... I'm cool with that in all honesty just so long as I don't see Tahiti again... if I do it better be an entry model card like R7 365 or 360x

That is true I would love to see something that was like the 750ti but a little more modern thoes cards make the best htpc's with the fact they put off only around 60 watts.

if we are picking names for the new card i vote for "odin" screw boring greek mythology lets go norse and spice it up a bit... plus the odin series has a really nice ring to it...

Why not the original mythos. GILGAMESH FTW!!

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

I was referring to the ridiculous dual or tri crossfire setups for 4k and triple 1440p surround, sorry for not specifying.

With the improvements under the new APIs, with DX12 and VULKAN, you could probably see single card performance for those niche scenarios comfortably in the playable range.