Brazilian Overclockers *almost* destroy a GTX Titan

By the title of this article you can imagine what TecLab have done some mad things.

This time, they prepared a expensive Titan X for Maximum overclocking, modifying it totally, thats mandatory in order to break the limits of overclocking on this card.

The problem is doing this anything can happen, and in this case, it did.

Acording with the overclockers Ronaldo "rbuass", Overclocking champion, and his partner, Jacson "bros", the board literly catch fire after the modifications.

"We've done hundreds of cards this way, so called "Zombies" with a custom Power management system, but we have never seen this happen, After being tested and working flawlessly for some minutes, our hope colapsed" said Buassali.

He did also telled that "Suddenly it start to spark and then catched fire", he resigned the situation, since it is part of his life as an overclocker, However, both of then could not give up after so much hard work and a so big Hope of succes.

Sure their will its the break of the World Records on 3D Graphics, something that so much times they did, but what to do with that crisppy card?

"We tried to identify the problem and nothing. The Board continued in a total short circuit, due to the total melting of the boards printed circuit, the layers may have been united. But we didnt give up, Once a Zombie, we decided to cut the defective part, carefully to dont do more damage to the part we didnt modiffy, and we created a "prosthesis" for video cards" - Says the Overclocker laughing with what happened.

From user Zappian

Its a zombie card , basically you have a separate power board for the GPU .

Making a Zombie:

1- Taking out the original cooler.

2- Protecting the card against solder spill.

3-Removing GPU inductors

4-Swapping BIOS to LN2 Bios

5-Closing the power break limit fuses

6- Removing the memory SMD and swapping it with a trimpot(trimmer potentiometer) for its control.

7-Colocation of the memory voltage controller.

8-Removing the SMD resistor of the PLL voltage and replacing it for a trimpot for its control.

9-Placing a PLL voltage meter.

10- Cutting the power good(pin 3) of the CI PWM to disable original phases.

11-Scrapping the PCB to increase surface area.

12- Connecting a separate power board.

13- Making a Voltage multimeter for tweaking and reading the voltages.

They are very rare the professionals who do this level of modifications to a card, not everybody can do a zombie like that, but doing the prosthesis its something even beyond in the TecLabs history.

"We Worked arround 20 hours on the board, i would have a trip to the USA the day after. All we wanted is to see if it boots, but u can bet, soon you will have your results." informed Buassali.

They promissed a video with the resoults and more in-depth explanation of the process, so keep in touch to learn more about this story.

source

http://www.tecmundo.com.br/teclab/79377-overclockers-modificam-gtx-titan-x-extremo-perdem-6-mil-reais.htm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=imggrande

Disclaimer:

Hi, im joao from brazil,
and this is my first post here, i really like all the LMG things and i wanted to contribuite,
please tell me what u think about this article, constructive criticism is apreciated.

WHAT DID I JUST WATCH!?

Did you watch the whole video??? I can't..... I'm just being impatient.....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

whoa, i would never have the guts to just start soldering on a brand new card like that. let alone of it's a damn titan X!

still, i bet they could've gotten some kick ass benchmark scores from that card. (if it didn't catch fire, that is :P )

Actually they maanged to fix the card, benchmarks are on the way.

whoa, i would never have the guts to just start soldering on a brand new card like that. let alone of it's a damn titan X!

still, i bet they could've gotten some kick ass benchmark scores from that card. (if it didn't catch fire, that is :P )

This is freaking insane, so awesome. Definitely need more of this in my life, and some more cowbell.

Damn, I managed to watch the videos.... No comment, I can't say a word....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

can a GPU even work after splitting it into two halves? ridiculous.

Well it did, as they show in the end of the video, besides, the part they cut of whas only the power managemet system, not to do with the memory or GPU, its lite changing a Power supply in a computer.

Good gosh! Someoen keep me posted when they release results.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I wish I had the knowledge to be able to pull something like that off ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Insane ... modifying existing hardware like this is no joke. I wish I knew Portuguese so that I can subscribe to their channel ... heck even english subtitles would be awesome. 

What is this heresy?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

can a GPU even work after splitting it into two halves? ridiculous.

The GPU is only the large chip in the middle.. The rest is Power, memory and such. They basically only cut out the fried power portion of the board.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Could someone please pick my jaw off the floor? This completely mad, I love it. There is some serious skill involved. Thanks for posting this

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

What is this heresy?

Translating the video description:

Making a Zombie:

3-Removing GPU inductors

6- Removing the memory SMD and swapping it with a trimpot(trimmer potentiometer) for its control.

8-Removing the SMD resistor of the PLL voltage and replacing it for a trimpot for its control.

what was that very small thing on his hand he put next to the pen's tip for scale size?

I'm going to vomit.... no graphics card should have to go through this :(

what was that very small thing on his hand he put next to the pen's tip for scale size?

It was a SMD resistor.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Translating the video description:

Making a Zombie:

3-Removing GPU inductors

Nice, can i put this in my main article?

I'm going to vomit.... no graphics card should have to go through this :(

its for science! :D

The translation was...terrible. But this is extremely interesting for me (brazilian). Huehuehuehuehue

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //