Jewelers start gold plating Apple Watch to undercut Apple’s pricey Edition models

ObscureMammal

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/04/gold-apple-watch-diy/

Enterprising jewelers have begun undercutting Apple's enormous price tags for gold Apple Watch Edition models, offering affordable solutions for people looking to turn their Apple Watch gold. Two jewelry companies, Watch Plate and Golden Dreams, are now offering a gold plating service for a fraction of how much you would have to pay for the Apple Watch Edition

p1190137.jpg?w=348&h=261&crop=1 p1190133.jpg?w=348&h=261&crop=1

golden-dreams-geneva-apple-watch-gold-08 1430486732298.jpeg?w=348&h=232&crop=1

It’s no secret that the price of the Apple Watch rapidly increases if you want a gold model. The Apple Watch Edition with an 18 karat rose gold case starts at $10,000 and ranges to $17,000 for yellow gold models with a gold-plated band. Jewelers, however, looking to take some of Apple’s high-end Watch market, have now started offering their own take on the gold Apple Watch…

First, Watch Plate offers to gold plate your own Apple Watch for $399. The process is relatively simple. You simply FedEx them your stainless steel Apple Watch and they will gold plate the device and ship it back to you, all within 3 business days. Watch Plate will even email you a FedEx label to make the shipment process as simple as possible. The company says it is using 24 karat rose gold or 24 karat yellow gold during its process.

Golden Dreams takes a different approach to offering gold Apple Watch units. For $3,550, the company will soon offer gold-plated Apple Watch models in 24 karat yellow gold, 18 karat rose gold, and 18 karat white gold models. These watches are all custom-made in Geneva and ship worldwide. The company also touts that their gold-plated Apple Watch ships in a high-end luxury box. Alongside the Watch itself, Golden Dreams will also offer over 160 different colored Alligator leather straps. Hand engraving will also be available, according to the company.

The difference between the two is that with Watch Plate’s offering, you must supply your own Apple Watch unit, while Golden Dreams handles the entire acquisition process and ships gold-plated Apple Watch units directly to consumers. The latter makes for a more seamless, albeit more expensive, process. Golden Dreams also touts that its straps are of the same quality of a Rolex and other high-end watch manufacturers.

While both options still require a significant investment, there's no doubt that both are a far cheaper alternative to Apple's high price tags for the Apple Watch Edition lineup. 

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

lol i dont see why this is actually news tho, theyve been doing this since day one, they do it with iphones too :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

According to minecraft if I eat a golden apple it will heal me. 

I tired to eat one. Jeweler wasn't happy. 

It hurt too

Now I need golden teeth. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

...Why don't we all just go buy a Pebble, or a moto, Samsung.. and then take that to the jeweler?  BAM.  I will patent this idea, and make millions.   :D

It was only a matter of time

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

*Lawsuits incoming*

Apple doesn't (or well, shouldn't) own a patent on plating metals with other metals, otherwise they would basically sue anything with gold on it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

57020938.jpg

Why would anyone think this is a good idea? Apple is one of the most sue happy companies out there.

Apple doesn't (or well, shouldn't) own a patent on plating metals with other metals, otherwise they would basically sue anything with gold on it.

Would you really put that past them? I'm 75% certain that an apple lawyer will at one point read that statement, and think "hey....that's a good idea"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Apple doesn't (or well, shouldn't) own a patent on plating metals with other metals, otherwise they would basically sue anything with gold on it.

Don't give them ideas, now! :P

This is a nice idea, since it's cheaper across the board regardless. Though when it goes outdated (along with Pebble's watch and Android variants) in a year's time when successors are released, would it be worth it then?

[witty signature]

I think Apple just got told to fuck off with their pricing of the Edition.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Apple's reaction to this news

Forex-kills-the-greedy.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I dont think Apple will care except for warranty purposes. They could prove me wrong and make a big stink, but it only hurts them. People Gold plating their watches are not edition buyers anyways, and it will only lead to more Apple watch sales.

idk but it seems like gold plating would scratch easy vs the gold body of the edition which could be buffed to remove scratches.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

People aren't spending $10,000 on a gold plated watch for the gold.  They're doing it for status.

They'll just start packing these things with a "certificate of authenticity" like rolex watches have.

idk but it seems like gold plating would scratch easy vs the gold body of the edition which could be buffed to remove scratches.

Professional plating job will be identical to what Apple does.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

People aren't spending $10,000 on a gold plated watch for the gold.  They're doing it for status.

They'll just start packing these things with a "certificate of authenticity" like rolex watches have.

Professional plating job will be identical to what Apple does.

The end quality will of course depend on the jeweller doing the plating. As for status, some people will look at it like '18k vs 24k'  and the 'rolex quality' bands. The plated Apple watches can actually become more of a status symbol than the Edition.

PMSL

I think gold and chrome look cheap now.

mainly because a lot of cheap items use gold/chrome "colored" accents to look premium, so now it feels cheap now for me. I prefer Titanium or tungsten on high end watches.

I do like how the RF housing my company makes look in gold plating. (they plate them for the RF properties and to solder to it.)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I think gold and chrome look cheap now.

mainly because a lot of cheap items use gold/chrome "colored" accents to look premium, so now it feels cheap now for me. I prefer Titanium or tungsten on high end watches.

Now Titanium is a sign of true quality.

PMSL

platinum or gtfo

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I must be missing something here, but what can they sue them for.

The jewelers aren't calling this the apple watch gold, they are basically just adding a new case for it.

That would be like suing otterbox for making cases....

They are adding a new band to it and adding some gold, you can already by custom bands and apple isn't suing the people making those.

I just fail to see the patent infringement here. Who knows i'm sure apple has a patent that this will fall under

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

I must be missing something here, but what can they sue them for.

The jewelers aren't calling this the apple watch gold, they are basically just adding a new case for it.

That would be like suing otterbox for making cases....

They are adding a new band to it and adding some gold, you can already by custom bands and apple isn't suing the people making those.

I just fail to see the patent infringement here. Who knows i'm sure apple has a patent that this will fall under

Bro, all you had to say was "Bedazzler".

bedazzler-550x336.jpg

There is no legal issue here. Apple cannot "sue" the jewelers over this.

However, Warranty may be an issue. Will Apple still warranty these aftermarket plated watches? If they do, and they need to replace the whole watch, will they be sending you back a regular steel apple watch?

My guess is Apple will keep this simple and simply say that aftermarket plating will void the warranty. I'd be curious in seeing any official statements on that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Now Titanium is a sign of true quality.

A jeweler show me a watch that was made out of tungsten and he scrapes it on the counter to show that it can't be scratched. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc