Jewelers start gold plating Apple Watch to undercut Apple’s pricey Edition models

ObscureMammal

A jeweler show me a watch that was made out of tungsten and he scrapes it on the counter to show that it can't be scratched. 

It's a hard metal, but its actually strength isn't as great.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/04/gold-apple-watch-diy/

Enterprising jewelers have begun undercutting Apple's enormous price tags for gold Apple Watch Edition models, offering affordable solutions for people looking to turn their Apple Watch gold. Two jewelry companies, Watch Plate and Golden Dreams, are now offering a gold plating service for a fraction of how much you would have to pay for the Apple Watch Edition

p1190137.jpg?w=348&h=261&crop=1 p1190133.jpg?w=348&h=261&crop=1

golden-dreams-geneva-apple-watch-gold-08 1430486732298.jpeg?w=348&h=232&crop=1

While both options still require a significant investment, there's no doubt that both are a far cheaper alternative to Apple's high price tags for the Apple Watch Edition lineup. 

Reaching out about getting a unit. I'd really like to see how it looks in person!

Reaching out about getting a unit. I'd really like to see how it looks in person!

At least it will be more affordable for you than the 'Edition'.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If I was into watches that $3500 gold one would be very interesting.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

That's like putting AMG stickers on your base C250 cuz you couldn't afford the real deal.

That's all it is. The only people you're fooling are people who don't care, anyone with any care for cars (or in this case, watches) will know you're just a sad person trying too hard to fit in with people who can just straight up afford to try hard without trying.

And the Watch is gold through and through, this is plated so unless they're adding on substantial microns of gold, what's the difference?

I don't get why people on this forum think spending 10k on a watch is a big deal for rich people. It isn't. Exact opposite. Those kind of people don't need "cheap" alternatives.

Rich people won't and don't complain that Audemars charges more for a gold Royal Oak. Rich people don't complain the AW costs more in gold than it does in stainless. The only people complaining are poor people who weren't buying anything to begin with.

Yes, I said poor. Deal with it. You're poor. If you have to start weighing pros and cons of an item like this, you're poor. It's not for you. Come back when you reach obscene wealth that items like these are marketed towards.

I'm poor too. I'm not in a position to buy the Edition, a gold or even stainless Audemars. I could just about buy a nice Anniversary Moonwatch. But I won't. Because when you're net worth is 5 figures, spending that much on a watch isn't smart. Maybe when my net worth is 7 figures. Or more. Those are the kinds of people these items are for.

Why do I expect a place like this to understand that is beyond me.

That's like putting AMG stickers on your base C250 cuz you couldn't afford the real deal.

Not really, an Amg has a better engine and more functionality, the normal apple watch and the edition are exactly the same, except for the material.

- snip-

Poor Apple is loosing out on it's hard earned money.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This is a really great idea! I hope those companies don't get sued by Apple though. Anyway why should Apple care, I mean if I go out and buy the base model of a car and then install a turbo on it, well the car company aren't going to sue me. It is simply just modding something cheap to make it better!

Not really, an Amg has a better engine and more functionality, the normal apple watch and the edition are exactly the same, except for the material.

You're right, it wasn't the best of analogies but my point was that even if you get your regular Watch gold plated, it's still not a "Watch Edition". You could put AMG badges, heck you could put the exact same motor, body kit, and everything else and convert a C250 precisely to a C63 AMG's spec but at the end of the day, your VIN number will still read C250.

Yes you can argue that it's stupid since you're getting the spec for spec exact same thing but when you're dealing with fashion products (which Apple is touting the Watch as), being from the original maker is incredibly important. As an example you could get a hand bag that is precisely the same as a Louis Vuitton bag. You found a third party that has the same material, same stitching, same everything, but if it wasn't made by Louis Vuitton it has no value.

You're right, it wasn't the best of analogies but my point was that even if you get your regular Watch gold plated, it's still not a "Watch Edition". You could put AMG badges, heck you could put the exact same motor, body kit, and everything else and convert a C250 precisely to a C63 AMG's spec but at the end of the day, your VIN number will still read C250.

Yes you can argue that it's stupid since you're getting the spec for spec exact same thing but when you're dealing with fashion products (which Apple is touting the Watch as), being from the original maker is incredibly important. As an example you could get a hand bag that is precisely the same as a Louis Vuitton bag. You found a third party that has the same material, same stitching, same everything, but if it wasn't made by Louis Vuitton it has no value.

Yeah, I agree. Very well said. :)

- snip-

*Lawsuits incoming*

They can try, however what people do to modify their own property is nothing Apple nor the courts can do anything about.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Apple doesn't (or well, shouldn't) own a patent on plating metals with other metals, otherwise they would basically sue anything with gold on it.

"copyright infringement"

"copyright infringement"

This isn't copyright infringement at all, they're still branded Apple products, they are just modifying them. I don't believe car manufacturers sue custom workshops do they? Not really getting why people think this would be a legal issue.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It's a hard metal, but its actually strength isn't as great.

Ya i know, they use tungsten for drill bits because it wears out slowly. If they have a Ti edition of the Pebble Time I would get it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

They can try, however what people do to modify their own property is nothing Apple nor the courts can do anything about.

Are you sure it really is their property?  I wouldn't be surprised if there's an EULA somewhere that states the buyers only have the right to use the watch and that the watch itself remains property of Apple.  IIRC some tech manufacturers have tried (or even succeeded) to pull that trick before.

Are you sure it really is their property? I wouldn't be surprised if there's an EULA somewhere that states the buyers only have the right to use the watch and that the watch itself remains property of Apple. IIRC some tech manufacturers have tried (or even succeeded) to pull that trick before.

Apple 100% doesn't give a shit if you gold plate your Apple products. They'll just rightfully terminate your warranty (even if you have Apple Care) because the plating process requires near complete disassembly and NO company is gonna honour their warranty after you've intentionally torn apart their product.

Also, the level of tear down that plating requires also compromises the sealing on the watch, so you're also giving up any level of water resistance the watch had amongst the other environmental IP sealing.

All this thread has is continuous shitposts about Apple lawsuits yet very little in the way of rational thought about how they've handled companies plating their stuff before. They don't care.

Are you sure it really is their property?  I wouldn't be surprised if there's an EULA somewhere

Well EULAs are mostly irrelevant to anyone who's not a US citizen so I don't take them into account.

At least, the kind of EULA that tries to fuck you out of rights, is mostly an American-exclusive deal.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This isn't copyright infringement at all, they're still branded Apple products, they are just modifying them. I don't believe car manufacturers sue custom workshops do they? Not really getting why people think this would be a legal issue.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/ Copyright laws are so broad, I'm not sure Apple wouldnt try to use it.

57020938.jpg

Why would anyone think this is a good idea? Apple is one of the most sue happy companies out there.

Would you really put that past them? I'm 75% certain that an apple lawyer will at one point read that statement, and think "hey....that's a good idea"

don't they already have a patent on their gold plating? I think they use custom metals to fill in with the 5% gold or w/e.

they can only sue if the watch is being plate with the same percentage & minerals to go with the gold. very specific stuff. but of course, some lawyers will twist it.

don't they already have a patent on their gold plating? I think they use custom metals to fill in with the 5% gold or w/e.

they can only sue if the watch is being plate with the same percentage & minerals to go with the gold. very specific stuff. but of course, some lawyers will twist it.

That patent refers to a new 18k blend that incorporates ceramics not alloys. 

Apple didn't use that for this Edition, this current one is still the traditional 18k gold and alloy blend, not the ceramic one 

Are you sure it really is their property?  I wouldn't be surprised if there's an EULA somewhere that states the buyers only have the right to use the watch and that the watch itself remains property of Apple.  IIRC some tech manufacturers have tried (or even succeeded) to pull that trick before.

I'm reminded of an episode of futurama "I MODIFIED SOMETHING I OWN, DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" lol

I'd be willing to bet money on eventual lawsuits towards anyone making a gold plated smart watch. Companies are super sue happy these days.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

...Why don't we all just go buy a Pebble, or a moto, Samsung.. and then take that to the jeweler?  BAM.  I will patent this idea, and make millions.   :D

You can get like anything gold plated

my friend got his full metal airsoft desert eagle gold plated, I still have no idea why, but Its possibly the coolest thing on the planet

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Actually they can. It happens all the time in the software world.

I don't think Apple will sue them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They have sued for smaller and more ridiculous things in the past. For example they have sued a cafe owner for having an Apple in their logo.

Actually they can. It happens all the time in the software world.

Software is most of the time different, because it's not classed as physical property, but a license. (IE, rented)