Experiences with non-techies

not sure if it's a troll since it was his first post, but this is something ... you can see from my reaction that I freaked out! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

not sure if it's a troll since it was his first post, but this is something ... you can see from my reaction that I freaked out! lol

Well expensive mistakes will always make people learn.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

10 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

It's definitely not a troll, since no troll would be stupid enough to risk breaking a 950 pro to troll!

If you're confused, you shouldn't just go ahead and try it.... Read the instructions! They're there for a reason!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Well expensive mistakes will always make people learn.

gSP1q96.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

22 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Haha yeah, I was following that as well. I'm by no means cash flow deprived, but even I was wincing at watching that beautiful M.2 Samsung 951 Pro SSD get bent. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

gSP1q96.jpg

That reminds me of the person who drilled through their 980 ti.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

And the time some crazy guy cut a Titan X in half to fit it in a single slot!

:D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It's definitely not a troll, since no troll would be stupid enough to risk breaking a 950 pro to troll!

No, I meant troll in the sense that he could have found the picture somewhere and just post it, playing dumb.

Also, don't underestimate the stupidity of some people. xD

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And the time some crazy guy cut a Titan X in half to fit it in a single slot!

:D 

*Titan not Titan X

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

*Titan not Titan X

oh, was it?  I totally missed that... xD I just assumed based on the age of the video 9_9

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

just showing off his fancy new m.2 lol.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

gSP1q96.jpg

Oh god why.....

When was that post from though? Cuz that graphics card is like 10 years old....

The imgur post was from 3 years ago, but it didn't lead anywhere, so I'm wondering if you have any idea.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Oh god why.....

The imgur post was from 3 years ago, but it didn't lead anywhere, so I'm wondering if you have any idea.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOO nooooooooo nooooooo noooooo noooo noo no O.o

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa (ltt doesnt have a crying emoji)

I am distrubed

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Oh god why.....

Nope, no idea 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Pic snip

3 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Both of these just makes my freaking day... Makes me forget about my micro bites... 9_9

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

gSP1q96.jpg

I'm partially surprised it didn't work. Didn't linus do a thing where he used an x1 slot for an x16 card?

Yes, I'm aware this is PCI not PCI-E but still.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

29 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

I'm partially surprised it didn't work. Didn't linus do a thing where he used an x1 slot for an x16 card?

wait wasnt it the same thing. no oops

Build

Spoiler

This article:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/pc-gaming-is-still-way-too-hard

Shots fired from TotalBisciut

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

8 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

I'm partially surprised it didn't work.

There are no short PCI slots, there is only 1 kind of slot and it needs all the pins.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

8 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

He cut out the plastic on the slot so the full length lard would fit, not the other way around (cutting down the card to fit the slot) xD 

But, you're right that in theory this should work on a PCIe card... although, I'm pretty sure that card is PCIe, so that's where the confusion starts... :/

On July 12, 2016 at 1:51 PM, wkdpaul said:

Honestly, I'm not gonna go through my 1000+ posts for that, just finding your reply was a PITA ... but just for you here's a new story that happened today;

Needed a workstation for a new guy

Pulled one of the M83 SSF out of the shelves

Take 2x2GB DDR3 (don't know why this SSF had it's RAM pulled out)

Open up the SFF, install the RAM ...

*insert other random tasks I had to attend here*

I come back to the SFF, close everything, power it up to make sure it's all in order ... and nothing ... odd, usually those things beep when something is wrong!

Followed by 20 minutes of trying to figure out if the PSU is fried ... then I started taking the RAM out and that's when I found the problem!!! Somehow when the other tasks came in I left one of the stick only half-way inserted in the slot and didn't check when I came back (one of the tab wasn't "clicked"). The PC wouldn't boot and somehow the motherboard wouldn't throw any error, but thank God nothing fried! lol

so yeah, for some reason I didn't install the RAM correctly and instead of checking the FIRST logical thing (the only thing I touched was the RAM), I start troubleshooting the PSU!

DERP

xD

I'm not sure how similar this is but when I transplanted my secondary desktop to a new Corsair 88R case I accidentally plugged in the motherboard connectors for the power button, reset button, and HDD activity led incorrectly so that when I finished reassembling the computer and went to turn it on nothing happened.  I got a bit freaked out for a few minutes trying to figure out what was wrong.  Thankfully it occurred to me that I might've plugged in the power button to the wrong spot on the mb and was able to correct the issue very easily after that.  

It's scary how easy one little thing done wrong can prevent a computer from even turning on.  lol 

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

He cut out the plastic on the slot so the full length lard would fit, not the other way around (cutting down the card to fit the slot) xD 

But, you're right that in theory this should work on a PCIe card... although, I'm pretty sure that card is PCIe, so that's where the confusion starts... :/

It's Universal 64-Bit PCI. Universal meaning it works with both 3.3V and 5V 64-Bit PCI slots.

14 minutes ago, RahulR said:

It's Universal 64-Bit PCI. Universal meaning it works with both 3.3V and 5V 64-Bit PCI slots.

It does look like PCI actually, but the 7800 was PCIe (Except for one AGP version but that wasn't that)

So now you see my confusion :P 

30 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's actually an AGP card, that's why it probably broke the card.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It does look like PCI actually, but the 7800 was PCIe (Except for one AGP version but that wasn't that)

So now you see my confusion :P 

Oh.. My head hurts now. It looks exactly like 64-bit PCI.