Experiences with non-techies

some people just dont understand im no collage kid by any means but even still ive met some thick people who just wont listen lol

And what's wrong with something like that? I'm pretty sure there's no rule about something like that.

It's been mentioned more than a few times in this thread. I'm fairly certain it only really applies to this thread, considering how long it's been going. I believe it's mostly about courtesy, as I'm sure you wouldn't be too thrilled about getting notifications for things you said 2 years ago.

no,they know that. 

you dont qoute things that old on your own. after you psot it you realize and then cry yourself to sleep. 

dont deny it. its happened to you. 

I actually can't say it has happened to me. Mostly because I just read the forums, I'm not too much of an active poster, and most of what I do quote is in the Programming section

EDIT: Dammit, double post. Should really use the multiquote more

My mom won't let me try turning on the Dell with a screwdriver... It isn't going to kill you...

Plot Twist: It's inhumane to the screwdriver.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My friends wants a 300 dollar PC, so I made him this link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s3CDFT

Then I ask him how buy a decent monitor keyboard and mouse.

So he just says, MONEY. DUH. And then he says, I dont need that crap

:( :( :( :(

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

They will have 4K when 4K is the new 720p.

Where broadcast television is concerned 720p is still the new 720p in Australia and people be buyin 4K TVs. So funny

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional

But he was right.... about the HDD getting heavier that is. The extra weight is so small you can't measure it, but it is there.

im pretty sure that's only with flash an hdd just changes the polarity of very small segments on the hard disk whereas on flash a cell with a 1 written to in has more electrons than an empty cell

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

That doesn't sound right. I've dunked my s5 and poured water on it plenty of times. I also take into the shower with me to listen to music every day(jawbone died a while back) and I haven't had any issues. Errr, aside from the cheap charge port cover falling off.

No he went in the tub, filled up with water then he left it in there in a while so yeah.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

im pretty sure that's only with flash an hdd just changes the polarity of very small segments on the hard disk whereas on flash a cell with a 1 written to in has more electrons than an empty cell

Look, this has been discussed many times in this thread and I'm not sure that this guy is wild about you quoting his post from 2 years ago.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

When I built my first rig all I had left to do was let my OS finish installing and my friend walked up to the pc, pushed a button on the case and THEN asked "what does this button do?"

it was the reset button...

restarted and the entire OS was corrupted <_<

When I built my first rig all I had left to do was let my OS finish installing and my friend walked up to the pc, pushed a button on the case and THEN asked "what does this button do?"

it was the reset button...

restarted and the entire OS was corrupted <_<

Such competence

"You dont need a old fashioned desktop setup, any imac is more than enough"

school IT 2015

What's their problem with AIO's by other vendors?

in all fairness having a PhD in physics should not mean you are well versed in the use of computers.

That's like saying because your SatNav takes you all across town to get to work everyday it's okay to do so even though it's actually across the street.

but if its your job to use them everyday you better fucking know how. x'D 

Valid-ish point. I don't know if it is their job is to setup network access or troubleshoot IT problems, I thought their PhDs, and presumedly their jobs revolved around physics, not IT or basic computer use. I am just saying that equating PhDs in physics to having knowledge about the working of computers is not directly related. I don't think its necessarily fair for us to be projecting our knowledge on other people and calling them stupid for not knowing something. A person with a PhD knows a lot more than you about something, and by extension it would be silly for you not to know it too. This does not excuse stupid behaviour by any means.

True, but they should have basic knowledge of them, since they use them everyday. I mean, the same is basically expected of elementary school and high school teachers. But our department has 100+ faculty with 1 part time IT guy. They need to hire more IT (shudders at the thought) if they're going to be that incapable. 

Yes they should have knowledge of them, but their PhDs in physics do not equate understanding of day to day computer use. The level of education does not indicate the knowledge or capability of a person in an unrelated field. This does not excuse stupid behaviour though. At least the physics professor new where to turn for help with a particular problem.

That's like saying because your SatNav takes you all across town to get to work everyday it's okay to do so even though it's actually across the street.

No its not. Thats not even remotely comparable.

No its not. Thats not even remotely comparable.

Was tired when I wrote that but the general idea was not bothering to put a little thought in order to figure out there's an easier method and that this little effort now is worth the trade off compared to the inefficient method as this is a frequently done task.

Here's a funny one:

A secretary (female) working in her office called the IT-support of her company and told them, that her PC always restarts when she picks up a phone.

The IT-Supporter had no idea what she meant and went over to her office to see what she meant. He checked all kinds of stuff and couldn't find anything wrong.

So he told the secretary to call him again if it happens again. A few hours later she calls him again and tells him it happened again. With absolutely no clue what was going on here

the supporter went back to her office to check again. And again he could not find anything wrong and could not reproduce what she was saying (he even picked up the phone, ...).

He told her that he will stay at her office and watch what happens when she picks up the phone when she gets a call. So she got a call and the PC reset. The supporter had no idea why this is happening when she picks up the phone, but not when he does. After another call he finally saw why this was happening:

The secretary had some peaky shows on, and everytime when turned in her chair to reach the phone, the point of her shoe hit the reset button of the PC...

This is golden, made me laugh :D

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Also, 10 inches is never enough

That's what she said.   :P

Edited to add :-

Great minds eh Speedbird?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Was tired when I wrote that but the general idea was not bothering to put a little thought in order to figure out there's an easier method and that this little effort now is worth the trade off compared to the inefficient method as this is a frequently done task.

It doesn't appear that they would have the base knowledge or experience that would make this a frequently done task for them. If they have never setup a wireless connection I am unsure how they would know how to do this, or that it needs to be done. While its easy or mundane and obvious to many of us, it would not be for those that lack the comfortability of experience working with technology. I am being more understanding of their situation, but by no means it excuses them for not broadening their horizons and learning something new. They should ask IT not to just "fix" it, but to show them how to do it, which I am sure will tick off some IT people.

What's their problem with AIO's by other vendors?

they are apple sheep. School is cheapest apple everything

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They should ask IT not to just "fix" it, but to show them how to do it, which I am sure will tick off some IT people.

Surely simple stuff like this any IT department would be glad to not have to deal with.  A simple 'I did this then this because ..' type description  would solve so many trivial issues leaving the IT dept to deal with more complicated stuff.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

It doesn't appear that they would have the base knowledge or experience that would make this a frequently done task for them. If they have never setup a wireless connection I am unsure how they would know how to do this, or that it needs to be done. While its easy or mundane and obvious to many of us, it would not be for those that lack the comfortability of experience working with technology. I am being more understanding of their situation, but by no means it excuses them for not broadening their horizons and learning something new. They should ask IT not to just "fix" it, but to show them how to do it, which I am sure will tick off some IT people.

If this was 10 years ago, maybe I'd agree. But right now, in 2015 if you have a job where you need to use a computer daily and don't know how to do something as simple as connect to wifi (considering all the smart devices around) then as far as I'm concerned you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer.

Also - showing people how to do something which they should know how to do doesn't tick us off. We just get annoyed because we know they won't remember and will ask again in a month which overall is worse because we:

• waste more time explaining it to them
  • get our hopes up that they'll actually learn how to use their equipment

i hate it when people say this. 

''i cant, mom says not too''

''do it anyway''

'allright, i'll just deal with none of my income for the next month and deal with thier bitching at me not obeying them ever. because all parrents forgive nicely. ''

not attacking you, just.... letting off some steam. T^T

I already did it. :P And no it didn't boot, so rip motherboard

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Well be glad your school is using iMacs and not our shitty Pentium 4s and 512MB RAM, sometimes 1GB on WIndows 7. Takes 10 minutes to boot to the desktop, then 5 minutes to open a single window in Chrome.

Luckily one of the IT guys gave me the BIOS password so I'll be running a persistent copy of Damn Small Linux or something like that. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well be glad your school is using iMacs and not our shitty Pentium 4s and 512MB RAM, sometimes 1GB on WIndows 7. Takes 10 minutes to boot to the desktop, then 5 minutes to open a single window in Chrome.

Luckily one of the IT guys gave me the BIOS password so I'll be running a persistent copy of Damn Small Linux or something like that. 

That's a fair point actually. I'd rather my school used iMacs purely because I know they'd perform adequately for what we'd use them for compared to the crap they got instead.

When I went to school the computers were these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe

while I had one of these glorious machines at home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_1000

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional