Experiences with non-techies

my uncle doesn't have a pc or internet so he comes to my house once a week to log in to his facebook (i don't even have a facebook account)..

anyhow he came visiting a couple of weeks back and he gave me about ten sd cards containing every pic he ever took since buying his digital cam and asking me to upload it all to his facebook account...

use gdrive or picasa for something that many.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Could have been a 60" and not 72, that is starting to sound closer to reality.

That's still one beast of a crt :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have a story, it happened pretty recently. So at school I hear these 2 guys talking about the new imac (the new really slim one that looks like an ipad with a stand) and how they're going to buy it as soon as they release. Then one guy says "well I'll surely get the one with an i7 because i5 is shit", I couldn't resist intervening and I asked him if he knew the difference between an i5 and an i7, he said "yeah, an i5 is older". I proceeded to place my palm over my face. There are a lot of guys like that in my school, they ALL have macs and iphones and they think they are some kind of super NASA computer engineers because they head the word "processor" in an apple commercial.

Actually another one came to mind! One of the first questions in our computer class test was "explain what a *computer part* is", there were 2 different versions of the test, one had GPU, the other had motherboard. So when we got the test back I took a look at what my friend to wrote to explain what a motherboard was and he wrote something to the degree of "The motherboard is a plastic tube that holds all your cables".

On this same test we had to explain the difference between hardware, so I wrote something like "The hardware is the actual components of the computer and the software takes advantage of the hardware (kind of hard to translate what I said from Italian), you can touch the hardware yet you can't touch the software". So keep in mind this was a VERY VERY basic test, pretty much if you wrote anything vaguely close you got it right. So when I got my test back turns out I got the difference between hardware and software wrong, so I ask the teacher why it was wrong and he says "you can touch software, if you put software on a hard disk, you can touch the hard disk". Now that's the reason why i got a 6- instead of 6 (6 is like 100%) in my computer class.

even my computer illiterate younger sister knows that, this is scary, if you pick up a box of pizza you haven't touched the pizza

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

Old people what are you gonna do. Brand loyalty is a huge thing and it doesn't just span retail products. Hopefully AT&T is your only problem. Elderly people can be loyal to the point it could kill them

My mother has an elderly friend who continues to go to the worst doctor in town. The doctor is so bad in fact that they aren't allowed to legally prescribe anymore and has to get other doctors in her practice to write prescriptions for her. Because these doctors aren't looking at full patient med lists she prescribed a med combination that could of had very bad consequences. She was lucky the pharmacist was good and caught on. She still goes to the doctor that could have killed her. Who knew national medication record databases can save you from your doctor from killing you accidentally.

Now shes like screw AT&T and paying for what she uses is the best deal. Also I am using the Linus offer code so she gets 25 dollar service credit. I showed her rates and now she is happy :)

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

My school is just getting around to upgrading ll the computers to 4gb. Though some teachers got a second monitor before that happened. Priorities people.

Only one of our teachers has a second monitor (that I know of). And I don't even know if it actually works or not as the screen itself isn't visible when sitting in class.

I was only in there because we had physics revision for GCSEs last year (it's a geography classroom normally btw) and had a physics teacher (obviously) so never got to see it being used. However, the person sitting next to me saw it and asked why "she has two computers". I explained what was going on (I didn't assume he thought monitor=computer) and he was amazed that two monitors could be hooked up to one computers (which was why I didn't assume).

That's still one beast of a crt :P

Big and bulky. That would weigh like 60 pounds. Today, we dont lug lead glass and cathode guns.

You know.. there are these live linux distros that can remove passwords, not cracking them. simply flipping a switch in windows.

Security my ass.

which one all i'v used is ophcrack and it works about half the time

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

Whenever I use ANYONE ELSE'S F*CKING COMPUTER IN THIS FAMILY!

20 tabs open, Spotify, Sony Vegas, 6 word documents, all open on a old laptop. You know the type, the kind where the entire desktop is filled with documents that should have been deleted years ago.... For frack sake if this was a building the government would have condemned it by now.

Not even the worst part, it is a laptop with an air in-take on the bottom... The laptop was on the carpet.....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Then they wonder why it's slow. I tell them why, then they scoff at me because it would inconvenience them. ffs.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

20 tabs open, Spotify, Sony Vegas, 6 word documents, all open on a old laptop. You know the type, the kind where the entire desktop is filled with documents that should have been deleted years ago.... For frack sake if this was a building the government would have condemned it by now.

Not even the worst part, it is a laptop with an air in-take on the bottom... The laptop was on the carpet.....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Then they wonder why it's slow. I tell them why, then they scoff at me because it would inconvenience them. ffs.

Let them suffer then. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Let them suffer. Just reformat the hard drive, put an SSD in there. Tell them you had to remove the virus that was making it slow so u had to put a new drive in there and then charge them 100 bucks. (60 for the ssd, 40 for the work). Just when they do it again just charge them another 100 dollars for a new ssd and repeat the process untill they learn not to.

I have a couple of stories.

In high school I had a "friend" who claimed his computer was the fastest because it's so heavy. I think he claimed 30 pounds or something. He would never believe me that 1) how do you even get a pc that heavy and 2) weight != performance

I sold computers at Best Buy. I would try to point people into more decent computers (I *hated* selling anything we had below $600). I was clear to them that most of our "budget" laptops are complete garbage. But this story is about a travelling business woman. She wanted a chromebook. Why, I have no clue. Chromebooks are kind of neat as something to play around with or check your email super fast but are in no way work computers. I had to sell it to her because she wouldn't listen to me when I told her that she'd want more (why buy a $700 Asus when you can get a $200 chromebook amirite?). Then she wanted a mouse; fine mice are great. NO LASER, IT MUST BE ROLLER BALL she said. IT MUST BE WIRED she said. She went on to explain that lasers will cause cancer and wireless mice degrade brainwaves. This coming from a woman that will not work without a wifi signal. 

Oh, and a little PSA:

NEVER

EVER

BUY GEEKSQUAD PROTECTION

IT IS CRAP

Stupid non-techies can't appreciate a mx-blue keyboard and hate its sound...

I had to bring my MX-Blue keyboard to class today because the keyboard on my laptop failed. (Had the laptop before I was in to tech and completely abused it. After I built my PC I only used it when I was forced to take a laptop to class. Buying a Asus UX 305 soon.) I had a friend come up and go "I love it, it's so clicky! And easy to type on.... What's the name of this? I want to buy one."

it's frak

get ur galactica right

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

it's frak

get ur galactica right

Frak ur right.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Frak ur right.

Yes I frakking am.

I remember about a year ago I went completely galactica crazy and so just to see if anyone would get the reference, I told all my friends the Collins were coming. Then one day all the networks went down at school. I just laughed so hard the whole day...

Edit: Cylons. Not Collins. Screw autocorrect

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Yes I frakking am.

I remember about a year ago I went completely galactica crazy and so just to see if anyone would get the reference, I told all my friends the Collins were coming. Then one day all the networks went down at school. I just laughed so hard the whole day...

Edit: Cylons. Not Collins. Screw autocorrect

I probably would have died. That stuff never works out that way for me.

which one all i'v used is ophcrack and it works about half the time

post #3307 about this:

Please do not quote posts older than two weeks old. Thank you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

post #3307 about this:

Please do not quote posts older than two weeks old. Thank you.

It's a part of the "Unwritten Rules of LTT"

1. No one shall use an HP computer as his or her primary computer

2. Do not quote anything older than two weeks.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It's a part of the "Unwritten Rules of LTT"

1. No one shall use an HP computer as his or her primary computer

2. Do not quote anything older than two weeks.

What about a decent HP laptop? I like higher end HP laptops.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What about a decent HP laptop? I like higher end HP laptops.

The keyword here is PRIMARY. So long as you have a good gaming PC, then whatever, use it.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The keyword here is PRIMARY. So long as you have a good gaming PC, then whatever, use it.

I don't have a decent gaming PC really. GT610 and C2 Quad aren't gaming worthy.

There's the i5 + 270x system at my dad's that he uses and I haven't used in nearly 9 months now if that counts xD

There's the i5 + 270x system at my dad's that he uses and I haven't used in nearly 9 months now if that counts xD

Hell doesn't even have to be a gaming PC. Also, YOU NEED A NEW COMPUTER. LIKE NAOW. YOU NEED ONE SO BADLY, I SPELLED NOW, NAOW.

Honestly, HPs do suck.  But we all learn and if you have an HP and nothing else don't feel bad because you didn't know.  

Hell doesn't even have to be a gaming PC. Also, YOU NEED A NEW COMPUTER. LIKE NAOW. YOU NEED ONE SO BADLY, I SPELLED NOW, NAOW.

Actually, he does kind of seriously need a new PC.  

Just buy an i3 or a pentium and a GTX 750 or 750ti.   

It has an SSD do not fret

Honestly, HPs do suck.  But we all learn and if you have an HP and nothing else don't feel bad because you didn't know.  

I really like high-end HP laptops, don't kill me. Dell as well and, sorry people, but I really like Apple laptops as well.

Obviously I would just build my own desktop.

My friend came up to me today and said "The Razer Kraken is the best headset for gaming ever made."

can skip following if lazy:

(I have tried them, I find them to be not super comfortable, with my ears, which are of average size, not fitting underneath the circamuaral ear cups, and the general sound quality just being average. My $i don't know how much but super cheap and totally rekt Sony headphones sounded pretty close. However, the only experience with legit good headphones has been demoing sennheisers at department stores when I went to London over winter break, so what do I know about sound quality. )

/skip

So I asked why he thought that. His response? "They have a retractable mic that goes into the headphone, it doesn't flip up." What. The. Fuck.

Razer Krakens are NOT the only headset with a retractable mic. And that shouldn't even be a reason for why they are the best. It sould be build quality, comfort, sound quality, and mic quality. Not how the mic goes bye-bye when you aren't using it.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up