Experiences with non-techies

"Laptop coolers don't work"

If you get those shite ones that go for $0.5

I had to bring my MX-Blue keyboard to class today because the keyboard on my laptop failed. (Had the laptop before I was in to tech and completely abused it. After I built my PC I only used it when I was forced to take a laptop to class. Buying a Asus UX 305 soon.) I had a friend come up and go "I love it, it's so clicky! And easy to type on.... What's the name of this? I want to buy one."

My friend said he doesn't like that its fat and doesn't see the point in the switches :/

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

It has an SSD do not fret

I really like high-end HP laptops, don't kill me. Dell as well and, sorry people, but I really like Apple laptops as well.

Obviously I would just build my own desktop.

dont worry, I have an HP stream.  Mind you its because I'm too poor and lazy to buy something that I actually have to LOOK for.  

My friend said he doesn't like that its fat and doesn't see the point in the switches :/

Maybe your friend hasn't tried them or maybe hes just too poor to buy one.  So he says that.   

Either way, show him your keyboard.  

It's a part of the "Unwritten Rules of LTT"

1. No one shall use an HP computer as his or her primary computer

2. Do not quote anything older than two weeks.

@Slick @LinusTech add it to the rules

Maybe your friend hasn't tried them or maybe hes just too poor to buy one.  So he says that.   

Yeah thats the problem- he tried my cm storm quickfire tk mx blue KB and thats when he said its fat- yes it is but why is it a problem? I don't mind it really, I quite like that the keys are at such an angle. Weird

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I forgot about this one,

so we had this LAN party at our school for our computer club (this was like 3 years ago) my friend who was looking to get a PC asked me about mine, he had seved up $1000 for like 2 years for it, when I showed it to him he complained that it was big and bulky (it was in an NZXT Phantom). But he wouldn't listen when I told him that there were smaller cases even showing him some at the party. A few months later he got his computer guess what it was

A Fricken Alienware LAPTOP! he didn't even need it to be portable but he got it since it was smaller. I've never been so angry before.

It's a part of the "Unwritten Rules of LTT"

1. No one shall use an HP computer as his or her primary computer

2. Do not quote anything older than two weeks.

What about a decent HP laptop? I like higher end HP laptops.

Fuck that rule I will quote 12 months old comments if I had too.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I forgot about this one,

so we had this LAN party at our school for our computer club (this was like 3 years ago) my friend who was looking to get a PC asked me about mine, he had seved up $1000 for like 2 years for it, when I showed it to him he complained that it was big and bulky (it was in an NZXT Phantom). But he wouldn't listen when I told him that there were smaller cases even showing him some at the party. A few months later he got his computer guess what it was

A Fricken Alienware LAPTOP! he didn't even need it to be portable but he got it since it was smaller. I've never been so angry before.

Alienware get so much flak but there actually good.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Honestly, HPs do suck.  But we all learn and if you have an HP and nothing else don't feel bad because you didn't know.  

i bought a pc second hand from cex yesterday (or so) (in the uk CEX is a store that buys and sells phones/games/pc parts/dvd's/music etc you get the idea)

written as a "hp core2duo 1055t 3.06ghz/4gb/1tb/gt220/linux"....there is no core2duo at 3.06ghz and i prayed! that it was a phenom x6 1055t as they sell that for £75 on its own, the whole pc cost me £145 (was £280 there a year ago...) i only wanted the cpu.

sure enough it turns out it is a phenom 1055t!!  :D with the stock-high-end copper based heatpipe cooler

so i got an "icute" zl02-3g-bb case made out of metal so thin you can read through it432147619_big.jpg

a "sweex" 350w power supply with a single 6 pin and 2 sata with a 11amp and 12amp rail respectively.

a 1tb seagate hard drive (not too shabby)

2x2gb of "zeppelin" ddr3 1333 thats yellow! ZE-DDR3-4G1333-KIT.jpg

and the motherboard is a POS asrock m3a ucc which doesnt even have vga out (and this had a phenom x6 in it?)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zeppelin+2gb+ddr3&es_sm=122&biw=960&bih=454&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o2oVVZr2F8-XasiZgKAC&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=asrock+m3a+ucc&imgdii=_

excluding the cpu these other parts cost me £70...

then bought a zotac gtx460 1gb for £38....which turned out to be an SE :angry: 

so not bad for under £200, im switching the cpu for an athlonII x2 250 and the hard drive for a 640GB i have and selling it as a basic pc and will likely make a small profit (and someones going to get a steal!)

the phenom x6, gtx460SE will likely be put into a new pc made from the money from the sale of that^ with 8gb of ram, a 500w corsair psu, 1tb seagate and msi krait board  :P 

not a "experience with non-techies" sorry, but proof that hp's have thier uses  :lol: maybe a LTT scrapyard wars UK contender.

edit-swapped the gtx460se for the guys qx9650 +£10, bought a r9-270 DCU2 today.

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

you can use controllers on a pc...

But People rarely do on multiplayer games.

dont worry, I have an HP stream.  Mind you its because I'm too poor and lazy to buy something that I actually have to LOOK for.  

oh yeah! how's the stream holding up after a few months of use?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

How's the stream doing? I'm thinking of getting one by Christmas (if all goes well and the money to do so is raised)...

wat

I think he means that the laptops are good enough for the price... the desktops are a different matter altogether...

I think he means that the laptops are good enough for the price... the desktops are a different matter altogether...

I hope it is the laptops he is talking about.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

2x2gb of "zeppelin" ddr3 1333 thats yellow! ZE-DDR3-4G1333-KIT.jpg

The yellow ram alone is worth it

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

Did you post this to one of the slower chan boards quite a while ago?  I know for a fact I've seen this exact story posted on a very particular one, worded very similarly.

Did you post this to one of the slower chan boards quite a while ago?  I know for a fact I've seen this exact story posted on a very particular one, worded very similarly.

Just a wild thought.  Look at the date.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Woops, wasn't even thinking.  Trying to reset my sleeping schedule, so I've been awake for just about 24 hours now.  Sorry!

I'll refrain from posting until I've had some rest.

My dad Works in IT supporting an enterprise class Phone system and work management network so Most adults we know contact my dad for support, But some of my friends despite being PC Gamers are so dense sometimes, The worst thing is That many of my friends don't realize that allot of the "Download Now!" buttons on download pages are not the proper download and are just an add. and they also don't know that install wizards are there for a reason and you shouldn't just spam next till its done so they end up with a bunch of addons tool bars and ad-ware that they "never downloaded."

Another thing is when my friend in 8th grade was Convinced he knew so much more about computers than me (At the time I didn't know much but I Knew as much if not more than him.) he was always talking about building his own custom pc but never got the money so instead just upgraded the old desktop he used to a gtx 650 or something like that. and at the time it was good enough. But low and behold now, about three years later i built my custom pc And he gave in to the fact that I knew more than he did.

Hell doesn't even have to be a gaming PC. Also, YOU NEED A NEW COMPUTER. LIKE NAOW. YOU NEED ONE SO BADLY, I SPELLED NOW, NAOW.

M8 I have a Pentium D. How do you think I feel. (It's actually dual  single core xeons but the performance is roughly equal)

M8 I have a Pentium D. How do you think I feel. (It's actually dual  single core xeons but the performance is roughly equal)

I have a friend who had a Optiplex 745 (@SirMrRyan) and he had a Pentium D 945 with integrated graphics... But after I built him a new rig, he doesn't live with it and integrated graphics. :D

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I was asked if you could download RAM...

smh

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

I have a friend who had a Optiplex 745 (@SirMrRyan) and he had a Pentium D 945 with integrated graphics... But after I built him a new rig, he doesn't live with it and integrated graphics. :D

I have a HD5770 Which is so horribly bottlenecked that I haven't been able to get it to need to go above 400mhz (it's 850mhz stock). 8ghs of ram and Hyperthreading eases the pain enough to play most games and Windows 7 runs okay so i'm fine for now although there is more and more games I want to play but can't because of my processors (2.8ghz btw).

My friend thinking that maybe he can put a r9 270x on his laptop

Sebastian$