Experiences with non-techies

Let's be honest here. Most techies have learnt not to trust phishing scams, scareware, and any number of other internet hoaxs (but she's hot) usually from painful experience. Non-techies quite often don't have the background to understand why they've been ripped off, or where they need to report their concerns, thus the virus, and conman subculture thrives.. Most hacking these days is done by social engineering. You will always find someone dumb enough to give you too much information if you can make it convincing. If you're good enough you can even make them pay for the privilege.

Using your analogy, paid solutions still don't have enough obstacles. Might as well use a free one and save money.

Source: I work in tech support. Number of times I've found viruses on "work" computers...... With a paid AV on it.

yup. people are morons. Yes I use Norton. I'm also smart enough most of the time to restrict my browsing to low risk sites. (are you aware linustechtips has several malware attacks recently) My point is. antivirus programs are not foolproof (because fools are so inventive.), but the company's with paid programs have a hell of a lot more incentive to sort it out quickly than those offering free solutions (and I hate pop ups.) A free provider has little incentive to provide up to the minute updates to protect a client's software. I'm not saying norton is a saint, but at least they don't annoy me with pop ups while they're protecting me.

yup. people are morons. Yes I use Norton. I'm also smart enough most of the time to restrict my browsing to low risk sites. (are you aware linustechtips has several malware attacks recently) My point is. antivirus programs are not foolproof (because fools are so inventive.), but the company's with paid programs have a hell of a lot more incentive to sort it out quickly than those offering free solutions (and I hate pop ups.) A free provider has little incentive to provide up to the minute updates to protect a client's software. I'm not saying norton is a saint, but at least they don't annoy me with pop ups while they're protecting me.

Free software, especially open-source software, especially open-source software on Linux, actually tends to get more updated than paid software. This is because the developers of free software don't do it for money, they do it because they want to develop good software. This is actually why Linux is more secure than Windows - the whole community is involved with Linux and anybody can submit a patch. With Windows though, if you report a security vulnerability you have to wait for the Windows devs to get working on it, then make a patch and release it on the next Patch Tuesday.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Free software, especially open-source software, especially open-source software on Linux, actually tends to get more updated than paid software. This is because the developers of free software don't do it for money, they do it because they want to develop good software. This is actually why Linux is more secure than Windows - the whole community is involved with Linux and anybody can submit a patch. With Windows though, if you report a security vulnerability you have to wait for the Windows devs to get working on it, then make a patch and release it on the next Patch Tuesday.

Bad analogy.

A) linux is based on unix, one of the most secure code formats at the time, windows is from Microsoft, I don't even know where to start there...

B) Linux does not have the install base that windows has. Hackers learn how to access, and exploit windows, because literally....Everyone has it...

C)Most linux users as a cross section have more experience and knowledge than windows users, if only because you need a basic understanding to actually use it.

My argument isn't that linux doesn't get viruses (if you believe this you might as well buy a mac as well) It's that it isn't as economically viable for a hacker to code a virus for linux.

If a hacker wanted to take the time it's far easier to write a virus for linux. (the source code is open for all to see) It just isn't economically viable. It might be fixed quicker, but while that window is open they have less chance to exploit it, because less people are running linux.

just this 

Suddenly I'm sort of curious. That's an awesome processor, and I want to buy a river in the sahara.... People actually buy this shit?

What I'm guessing the seller meant is it's a 2.4 GHz with 4 cores... so totally running at 9.6GHz., and hey it's gumtree, so it just advertises, and has no buyer protection policy for morons.

just this 

OH GOD. IS THAT MY TEACHER?

He said that:

total clock speed = core clock speed x cores

OH GOD

Snippety Snip Snip

tumblr_mvyxhl1tay1skfqn6o1_400.jpg

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I laughed way too hard at that bro

Sad Doge is sad.

You laugh at doge???!!!

giphy.gif

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Yes

Ok Laughing = friends :D

Winter-Toronto-Dog1.gif

Oh i never saw that youtube video....

giphy.gif

Suddenly I'm sort of curious. That's an awesome processor, and I want to buy a river in the sahara.... People actually buy this shit?

What I'm guessing the seller meant is it's a 2.4 GHz with 4 cores... so totally running at 9.6GHz., and hey it's gumtree, so it just advertises, and has no buyer protection policy for morons.

yeah further down he did 4 x 2.4 some people will buy this because it is faster than what they see at pc world

My friend had just finished his custom PC build the night before and when we went to school the next day the girl he sits next to said you cant build your own PC its impossible. Biggest facepalm 

Well there's one relationship that will never happen...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

a neighbor threatened to call a swat team on me for using command line on my mobile pi saying I was "trying to steal everyone's bank information and social security number"... 

-_-

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

a neighbor threatened to call a swat team on me for using command line on my mobile pi saying I was "trying to steal everyone's bank information and social security number"... 

-_-

maybe because he had experiences with you using aircrack-ng to break the encryption of his wifi network.

​Although, brute forcing wifi security or sending de authentication attacks are at a totally different level but to the average non-techie they think if you can hack their wifi, you can hack the banks.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

maybe because he had experiences with you using aircrack-ng to break the encryption of his wifi network.

​Although, brute forcing wifi security or sending de authentication attacks are at a totally different level but to the average non-techie they think if you can hack their wifi, you can hack the banks.

nop :P

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

At it's heart this is what the internet started as. I'm old enough to remember the BBS system, and acoustic couplers ( you might want to wiki that) It later turned into a central clearing house with an easy way to index files.... Yup that's what the world wide web really is. This is actually an old concept, and the nearest parallel in modern computing is a RAID array. If you transmit through multiple transceiver/receivers simultaneously, and have a way to sort out multiple/garbage transmission. You can theoretically multiply your throughput by the number of nodes you're connected too. It doesn't work at the moment in practice, but that doesn't mean someone isn't working on it.

Still using BBS's for the lulz. I set one up just to show off to my friends, and I play legend of the red dragon when I'm bored. So fun xD

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Person in my building (company is a client) doesn't know what a HDMI cable is.

Same person needed me to "install" a new keyboard for them.

What's wrong with asking you to install a new keyboard? Maybe the keyboard needs additional software like Razer Keyboard requires you to install Razer Synapse to get additional features or they are asking to install a virtual keyboard.

If it is something like that it would not be funny  ;)

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Person in my building (company is a client) doesn't know what a HDMI cable is.

Same person needed me to "install" a new keyboard for them.

What's wrong with asking you to install a new keyboard? Maybe the keyboard needs additional software like Razer Keyboard requires you to install Razer Synapse to get additional features or they are asking to install a virtual keyboard.

I'm assuming that the keyboard in question is your standard USB or PS/2 keyboard...

especially in the case of the k70 rgb :P

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

If they're the type of person to be ordering and using Razer products in their office why are they asking tech support to "install it"?

Ftr, it was a wireless MS keyboard. Literallly plug the dongle in.

-_-

To be fair I would probably just end up using a mobile pi for something malicious :P