Experiences with non-techies

Someone told me turning off a hard drive wipes everything.

I asked while laughing... Well then how do store data on a computer?

A hard drive is a wireless device in your computer that transfers RAM to storage. To turn it off there is a seperate button to turn in off.

I just laughed so hard I think I cannot laugh again.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

BSDLunixDebian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called " xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Another weird conversation with my friend:

Me: "Hey I just assembled an awesome PC"

Friend: "Oh, how much does the CPU cost?"

Me: "It's about $600" (i7-5930K)

Friend: "Mine costs about $1,200"

Me: (Surprised) "Wow really... So which CPU is it?"

Friend: "Dell !!!"

Me: "What? Dell does not make CPUs..."

Friend: "Seriously You Don't Even Know That Dell Makes CPUs?"

After a long boring conversation I find out that he thought that the CPU and the PC is the same thing  :lol:

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Another weird conversation with my friend:

Me: "Hey I just assembled an awesome PC"

Friend: "Oh, how much does the CPU cost?"

Me: "It's about $600" (i7-5930K)

Friend: "Mine costs about $1,200"

Me: (Surprised) "Wow really... So which CPU is it?"

Friend: "Dell !!!"

Me: "What? Dell does not make CPUs..."

Friend: "Seriously You Don't Even Know That Dell Makes CPUs?"

After a long boring conversation I find out that he thought that the CPU and the PC is the same thing  :lol:

Ah, that classic misconception... :/

What was his reaction when he found out that CPU =/= PC but CPU = processor? :P

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech. Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them. I'll go first: So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago. My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

People who think they can talk to a computer

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

People who think they can talk to a computer

Well I can.

Else Siri,  Cortana, Dragon naturally speaking  et al are figments of my imagination.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Okey, now sth that made me facepalm just a while ago, when I was troubleshooting a female friend of mine:

Her: My laptop is just shitty now.

But why...Can you describe it anyhow?

Her: It's full od ads, when I want to watch a movie online.

But... that's not even a hardware issue, it's the movie source to blame, the web page I mean. If you hate it so much you can just install Mozilla as your browser with AdBlock.

Her: No, I'll go to the service. I remember buying this kind of paste in shop and giving it to them while it was in repair, but after it was fine for two days the same stuff started happening.

I was like: WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF~
Just how does she even even? 
In the end I traded out her laptop for me to repair it for the cost of a juice instead of over 100PLN (~35$) for reapplying the thermal compound. 

My mother keep saying ive streched her usb ports on her laptop she plugs thigs into ethernet (i use a mouse instead of the trackpad) MASSIVE FACEPALM

(Note: my dad is suuuuper tech-savy like lvl 1billion / 10 (my grandma got me a membrane keyboard for christmas (my dads reaction) WTF U PAID 150 DOLLARS FOR THIS!!!!???!) He is a raging mechkanica keyboad enthusiast soooo the rant that almost ruined xmas came from that

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

My mother keep saying ive streched her usb ports on her laptop she plugs thigs into ethernet (i use a mouse instead of the trackpad) MASSIVE FACEPALM

(Note: my dad is suuuuper tech-savy like lvl 1billion / 10 (my grandma got me a membrane keyboard for christmas (my dads reaction) WTF U PAID 150 DOLLARS FOR THIS!!!!???!) He is a raging mechkanica keyboad enthusiast soooo the rant that almost ruined xmas came from that

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

dat double post doe

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

So I just found out that we pay $200/month for unreliable 20mb down interwebz (w/ tv and phone).  When asked my parents said "but it's high speed!"  You could wave .5mb down internet and SHOW them how slow it was, but if the plan it's offerered in says "HIGH SPEED!!!!!!!!!11!" they'll fall for it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

My mom thought that the OnePlus One was a Samsung phone, because Android=Samsung.

This seems to be a trend.

LMAO! that is awesome. never seen that before. I gotta send that to a couple ppl.

eb6.jpg?1307463786

I'm going to cry...

So, what is the deal then?

I found a video from Linus about ram and within it he explain that there is software that can expand the accessibility of your current ram. Unlocking potential hardware that is reserved. But nothing like: "taking all of your ram sticks out," as the video purports. Is this the same thing? Is this real? Is this debunked? I am sorry for my ignorance but this would certainly be a big deal wouldn't it? Some of you think this is legit, others laugh at the thought.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE A DEFINITIVE AND INFORMED EXPLANATION AS TO THE REALITY OF THIS SITUATION? Please and thank you much!!

My Oma and Grandma are pretty bad with computers.

My Oma is definatly worse, I think I've tried to explain how the monitor isn't the computer at least every other time I go to look at it for her, and she can't grasp the idea of what an internet browser is. She was mystified when I left her Yahoo home page and started playing videos on Youtube.

My Grandma isn't too bad, but she plays all of those pogo type games that old people play and always gets these ridiculous toolbars on her browser (internet explorer yuss) But this one time she asked me if I could back up all of her pictures to an external hard drive, the only problem was she had at least 5 different automatic photo cataloging programs that sorted all of her pictures by date and threw them around in all of these weird folders that were also sorted by date, there were hundreds of these strewn about all through her computer so eventually I just told her I couldn't do it. 

Are you from Germany? Oma and a Grandma.......LOL  (oma and grandma are the same thing German and English)

Are you from Germany? Oma and a Grandma.......LOL  (oma and grandma are the same thing German and English)

Vielleicht ist er Illuminati? 

Nah... Oder wieleicht?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

So I just found out that we pay $200/month for unreliable 20mb down interwebz (w/ tv and phone).  When asked my parents said "but it's high speed!"  You could wave .5mb down internet and SHOW them how slow it was, but if the plan it's offerered in says "HIGH SPEED!!!!!!!!!11!" they'll fall for it.

Thats why we have Google Fiber. Its fast and people would actually want it because Google is a brand not a good no name.

Thats why we have Google Fiber. Its fast and people would actually want it because Google is a brand not a good no name.

Still waiting for it to come to me though...

These People (below) who think they can use social media and not be on the internet.

http://qz.com/333313/milliions-of-facebook-users-have-no-idea-theyre-using-the-internet/

Also, I would like to point out that some people think that "Wi-Fi" is the internet and everything to do with the internet. For instance, someone was on a (desktop) at school and said, "Why is the Wifi not working?" even when the computer was connected with an ethernet cable. Sometimes, people even blame "the wifi" on a computer because the computer is too slow at booting up or opening a application (which is completely unrelated to any form of networking). Another experience, is when people think its the "wifi's" fault when its actually the ISP's fault (or amount they are willing to give the ISP). For instance, when people have a really strong wifi signal (like -45 RSSI) and then they complain that the "wifi" is so slow even though its because their ISP limits them to (like 3 mbps).

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply