Experiences with non-techies

I have a i5-4670k OCed to 4.5Ghz. Very nice.

Thick asshole comes along.

"My computer is more powerful than yours since mine has an i7"

My response, "Okay, show me" Even if it had a good CPU, it probably wasn't more powerful as I didn't believe he knew how to overclock.

His laptop has an i7-4510U. Wow. I explained to him how my CPU was still more powerful.

"ermagerhd u is wreng me i7 mus bei moar powarfel den yer i5"

"Your argument is flawed. My CPU is clocked at 4.5Ghz, yours is at 2.6Ghz. Furthermore, yours is a laptop CPU, mine is a desktop one, each individual core of mine is more powerful than each of yours. What's more, your CPU has 2 cores and hyperthreading, while mine has 4 actual physical cores. So there."

"nooooooooooooooooooo i7 > i5!!!!!!!!!!"

*gives up*

Same thick asshole.

"Wow! Is that an iPhone 6?"

"Eh, no, it's too small."

"Then what is it?"

"Ah, it must be the iPhone 6 Plus!" I mock him.

"Yea! OF COURSE IT IS!" He proclaims.

"Dude." *points at HTC logo* "It's a HTC One M8"

"Then they must have copied Apple's design!"

'Dude, this came out BEFORE the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus."

The best statement from him: "Then they must have time traveled to copy Apple's design!"

facedesk

Gaming rig:

i5-4670k, H100i, MSI Z97 SLI, Vengeance DDR3-1600 2*4GB, 840 EVO 250GB, Barracuda 1TB, GTX 780 Ti, 450D, CX750, VG248QE

Workstation:

Xeon E3-1231 v3, NH-U14S, Asus Z97-PRO, Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 2*8GB, 840 EVO 250GB, 2*WD Red 2TB (RAID 0), GTX 780 Ti, Define R4, AX760, VS229H-P

i removed my mobo, cpu,gpu,psu,ram from my case and just put everything on my desk.

(this is not trash stuff, z97,780,I5)

this because i am waiting for a new case and i just wanted to remove it so i could dust it.

so what happened

my mom was cleaning my room, and apparently she doesnt know how a PC without a case looks like:

i was downstairs and i heard KRR *UNPLUG* *UNPLUG* BAM BAM

she came downstairs with a garbage can and i asked her whats in it:

Yeah just your old pc stuff from your desk.

my mind: OMG I ONLY HAVE MY Z97 SYSTEM ON MY DESK NOO

and yes, my 780, mobo and shit where all crushed together in a bag.

luckily the everything works fine still and the only broken thing is my CPU HSF

this was a good reasom to now say:

DONT LET NON TECHIE MOMS CLEAN YOUR ROOM

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

he says AMD is shit...

I've got a "friend" like this... Any time I bring up PC hardware he proclaims that his 760 is so much better than my 7870/270 even though he didn't have a budget (He got his ~£1000 PC from his parents for Christmas) and I did (£600 for monitor and peripherals included)

Bearing in mind I video edit a bit, I personally think an FX6300 was a better choice for my budget over anything else Intel had to offer, with regards to a CPU :/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

-snip-

And this is why you should keep that stuff under lock-and-key.

i removed my mobo, cpu,gpu,psu,ram from my case and just put everything on my desk.

(this is not trash stuff, z97,780,I5)

this because i am waiting for a new case and i just wanted to remove it so i could dust it.

so what happened

my mom was cleaning my room, and apparently she doesnt know how a PC without a case looks like:

i was downstairs and i heard KRR *UNPLUG* *UNPLUG* BAM BAM

she came downstairs with a garbage can and i asked her whats in it:

Yeah just your old pc stuff from your desk.

my mind: OMG I ONLY HAVE MY Z97 SYSTEM ON MY DESK NOO

and yes, my 780, mobo and shit where all crushed together in a bag.

luckily the everything works fine still and the only broken thing is my CPU HSF

this was a good reasom to now say:

Or if one does not wish for such a situation then one might find the motivation to stir one's self off of one's own lazy arse in order to clean one's own room?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I saw over in SPUF saying how a 980 would be a downgrade from a 680, and his reasoning is that the 680 has more TFLOPS or whatever.

[witty signature]

I saw over in SPUF saying how a 980 would be a downgrade from a 680, and his reasoning is that the 680 has more TFLOPS or whatever.

Wow. Just wow.

Gaming rig:

i5-4670k, H100i, MSI Z97 SLI, Vengeance DDR3-1600 2*4GB, 840 EVO 250GB, Barracuda 1TB, GTX 780 Ti, 450D, CX750, VG248QE

Workstation:

Xeon E3-1231 v3, NH-U14S, Asus Z97-PRO, Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 2*8GB, 840 EVO 250GB, 2*WD Red 2TB (RAID 0), GTX 780 Ti, Define R4, AX760, VS229H-P

Wow. Just wow.

And this was right after someone else posted a link to Anand comparing the two.

[witty signature]

Do it yourself, if mom does it 'wrong'.

I have zero sympathy for your situation if you can't look after stuff: put it away, keep the area clean and tidy,etc, you shouldn't have nice things.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Do it yourself, if mom does it 'wrong'.

I have zero sympathy for your situation if you can't look after stuff: put it away, keep the area clean and tidy,etc, you shouldn't have nice things.

I do have sympathy for kiddo because that shit's expensive and plus it should have seemed fairly obvious to his mom that stuff like that should not go into the bin. Furthermore, she should at least ask if he wants/needs something thrown away.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I do have sympathy for kiddo because that shit's expensive and plus it should have seemed fairly obvious to his mom that stuff like that should not go into the bin.

I don't, she should not have to go in there at all. "Kiddo" should be able to keep his room in such a condition that his mum shouldn't feel the need to go in and clean his room.

Then it wouldn't matter what was lying about (on his desk or WHY).

"This too shall pass"

A friend of mine said he couldn't mount a Corsair H100i in his case.

That case in question was a Define R4.

I dunno his problem...

IMG_2090_zpsf383ea6d.jpg

500x1000px-LL-77f387cb_P1050511.jpeg

30516.d7c8191a4587fb30d67481fc002a91d9.9

fractal-design-define-r4-built.jpg

900x900px-LL-badb591b_B-P1100940.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot_5.png

"It won't fit, I tried everything."

Apparently, "everything" means rad in front, top, or top with fans mounted on the outside...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I don't, she should not have to go in there at all. "Kiddo" should be able to keep his room in such a condition that his mum shouldn't feel the need to go in and clean his room.

Then it wouldn't matter what was lying about (on his desk or WHY).

There's two things you're not considering:

• He may have been about to clean his room or hadn't had enough time to do a thorough clean, or maybe he only cleans it every x days or something (mine currently has a ton of schoolwork on the floor and other stuff moved about since I recently got an organ and had to make space for it)
  • His mum might have just decided to go clean it because she felt like cleaning or whatever. We don't know why she decided to clean it.

We don't know why she decided to clean it.

There could be a million and one reasons why his mum decided she needed it clean(er), but I will give a pound to a penny it was because in her eyes it was a shithole that needed cleaning as "kiddo" didn't do it at all or didn't do as good a job as mum wanted.

"This too shall pass"

My friend told me he was gonna put 128GB in a desktop he said he was going to build (after i said i was building one) le sigh he said it was the only way to get 60FPS.

My mom calls all my consoles (Ergmahgerd *hisssssss* console!)  a nintendo wii

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

My friend told me he was gonna put 128GB in a desktop he said he was going to build (after i said i was building one) le sigh he said it was the only way to get 60FPS.

My mom calls all my consoles (Ergmahgerd *hisssssss* console!)  a nintendo wii

that deserves a 5k wat.

My mom thinks that I look like a mad scientist with two monitors.  :rolleyes:

I mean, what is my dead body gonna do to protect Britishlund?

:P

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

My dad thinks I'm OCD since when I get a TV, I want to get an HDMI cable so that I can have three monitors.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My wife rings her parents at the same time every day for a chat and to keep an eye on them. They've been talking about getting a computer so they can keep in touch with the rest of the family via skype and social media. For several days in a row there was no reply when she rang, so we eventually went round to see if they were ok. They have now got a computer; they heard the phone ringing but the computer wouldn't turn off before the phone stopped. I asked the father in law why he tried to turn off the computer before answering the phone. He said "I can't answer the phone because it's plugged into the same socket on the wall".

I was arguing with a friend of mine last night... The one with a "beast" of an i3-based rig...

I to him about my place of using an old TV tuner to play my old Wii on my computer monitor, and he said "Oh yeah, thats how people record console game play".

... Huh?

Turns out he was throughly convinced that because his dad hooked up his laptop to an HDTV, all you need to do from there is hook up your console to the TV as well and magic "software" in order to record console game play. I told him that he needs a capture card, and he said simply "NO, all you need is software and a cable!"

What an idiot.

[witty signature]

I was arguing with a friend of mine last night... The one with a "beast" of an i3-based rig...

I to him about my place of using an old TV tuner to play my old Wii on my computer monitor, and he said "Oh yeah, thats how people record console game play".

... Huh?

Turns out he was throughly convinced that because his dad hooked up his laptop to an HDTV, all you need to do from there is hook up your console to the TV as well and magic "software" in order to record console game play. I told him that he needs a capture card, and he said simply "NO, all you need is software and a cable!"

What an idiot.

I was with my friend once talking about my Wii.

Currently, for some reason, it can only display black and white and no color, but that's besides the point.

Me: "So, I haven't gotten my Wii fixed but I might try hooking it up to my monitor, although I don't know if my monitor supports the old composite cable system."

Him: "Wait, you need a TV to hook up a Wii, right?"

Me: "No, you need some sort of display. A computer monitor would work if it had the right connections."

Him: "Do you have to hook it up to the computer?"

Me: "No, you plug it into the monitor like you would a TV...."

Him *getting super confused* "But, what shows up on the screen?"

Me: "Whatever the Wii is outputting..."

This goes on until he finally gets it...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

So I got on there to ask a question about my Windows 8.1 Pro install and it turns out I'm teaching the support tech and she has no knowledge of what I'm talking about.

Why is customer service so useless...

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Because people that actually know about these things are doing better things..

Interested in Business and Technology